What happened to the top 20??? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:04 AM   #1
country flag matanuriel

matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all
What happened to the top 20???

It's like most of the players in the top 20 are in a slump:
Henin- playes a lot below her normal level, she is losing sets for players almost unheard of and got bageled (though it was to Maria when playing superbly, Henin shouldn't get bagled by anyone).
Kuznetsova- Also playing bad at the moment losing to players she should beat sometimes even easly.
Chaketadze- alone from her Paris title her year has been a disaster
Venus- didn't do much this year- losing in AO QF in a bad match to Ivanovic and to Dominika at Doha.
Bartoli- Playing very bad, if she will continue like this I don't see her in the top 15 after wimbledon.
Serena- though she played only at the AO she didn't show a lot of her greatness.
And that is only in the top 10. from 11-20 you got Dementieva (though she looked goot yesterday def Schnyder), Schnyder, Petrova, Golovin, Safina (though she looked like she got back on track in Doha), Szavay, Peer and Bammer.
What happened to the top 20?

SERENA WILLIAMS~ANA IVANOVIC~NICOLE VAIDISOVA

TAMIRA PASZEK~AGNES SZAVAY~ALIZE CORNET

NOVAK DJOKOVIC
matanuriel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
country flag LudwigDvorak
Rainbowingis.

LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute LudwigDvorak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What happened to the top 20???

I just think our expectations are too high for most of them. Dementieva has had fine results since Wimbledon '07, but they aren't QUITE up to her usual par, so she's in a slump or whatever. Same can be said for just about any player. And since they're all over-played, they struggle with injury and form.

Venus making a third slam quarterfinal in a row is fucking awesome, I think. She hasn't done that in YEARS. Serena's played like five or six slams in a row. Again, long time since that's happened. Henin will win her third title of the year here. Jankovic will probably make the final, but people like to believe her when she says she's injured, so I'm surprised she isn't exceeding expectations by going deep every week she plays.

I can go on and on. I think each of the top twenty players are fine aside from maybe a couple. Bartoli and Szavay look bad this year, although Agnes did make another final...
LudwigDvorak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #3
country flag goldlion

goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold

Well. It's still the beginning of the year.

There are plenty of time for let them prove their ability and their rankings.

But I must point out something:

Players don't have to play their best in every match, just make is alright.

Does Maria need the form she defeated Henin to play her second round in Doha?

Top 20 are actually playing quite well as you can see the fact sheet.

1) Henin won Sydney and Antwerp.

2) Chakvetaze won Paris Indoor.

3) Maria won AO and Doha.

The Tier IIs and above were won by Top 10 !!!
goldlion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:35 AM   #4
country flag kaghat

kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by matanuriel View Post
It's like most of the players in the top 20 are in a slump:
Henin- playes a lot below her normal level, she is losing sets for players almost unheard of and got bageled (though it was to Maria when playing superbly, Henin shouldn't get bagled by anyone).
Kuznetsova- Also playing bad at the moment losing to players she should beat sometimes even easly.
Venus- didn't do much this year- losing in AO QF in a bad match to Ivanovic and to Dominika at Doha.
Bartoli- Playing very bad, if she will continue like this I don't see her in the top 15 after wimbledon.
Serena- though she played only at the AO she didn't show a lot of her greatness.
And that is only in the top 10. from 11-20 you got Dementieva (though she looked goot yesterday def Schnyder), Schnyder, Petrova, Golovin, Safina (though she looked like she got back on track in Doha), Szavay, Peer and Bammer.
Well, let me say thank you for your Thread. I thaught the same thing, but not in your way. I thaught rather that this year new generation of players are showing up. I saw all the matches of Justine in Antwerp. In Doha as well... All the young players are trying something. They believe in their chances because they have nothing to loose. So why not. I see it positive. More competition, more good tennis, less maches with double baggels... I believe more and more in woman tennis.

Last edited by kaghat : Feb 26th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
kaghat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #5
country flag matanuriel

matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaghat View Post
Well, let me say thank you for your Thread. I thaught the same thing, but not in your way. I thaught rather that this year new generation of players are showing up. I saw all the matches of Justine in Antwerp. In Doha as well... All the young players are trying something. They believe in their chances because they have nothing to loose. So why not. I see it positive. More competition, more good tennis, less machts with double baggels... I believe more and more in woman tennis.
Actually I think this is one of the reasons why I think most of the top players at the moment are strageling. There are many 17-18 years old at the moment that did quiet well and it is nice to see that. And thank to that we don't have to hear that the WTA got no depth, this past 2 months should just the opposite.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #6
country flag mandy7

mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute

Daniela's doing fine,
SF Aus Open
QF in Antwerp (would have reached the semi's or final if she didn't get hit by the flu)
So it's all good .

Would have also won Doha and Dubai if she wasn't sick and didn't have to withdraw
mandy7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 11:18 AM   #7
country flag Slumpsova

Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute

Nicole isn't in a slump. that means she will finally pass these players and reach the top
Slumpsova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #8
country flag kaghat

kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold kaghat is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy7 View Post
Daniela's doing fine,
SF Aus Open
QF in Antwerp (would have reached the semi's or final if she didn't get hit by the flu)
So it's all good .

Would have also won Doha and Dubai if she wasn't sick and didn't have to withdraw
Serena would have won OA if she wansn't sick
Sharapova would have won Dubai if she wansn't sick
Venus Williams would have won Doha if she wansn't in bad shape
Justine would have won OA if she wansn't in a bad day in the Quater...
Please.......
kaghat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #9
country flag Lunaris
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute

Either people complain about bad performances of top 20 players or about lack of depth in womens tennis.
Lunaris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #10
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

The top 20 is not a bunch of equals. Justine and Maria are better than Nadia and Golovin.
The big match of the year so far was Justine-Maria.
They'll play again, probably next in Miami or on clay.
We might get them in all 4 majors, like Justine Serena last year.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:08 PM   #11
country flag mandy7

mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute mandy7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaghat View Post
Serena would have won OA if she wansn't sick
Sharapova would have won Dubai if she wansn't sick
Venus Williams would have won Doha if she wansn't in bad shape
Justine would have won OA if she wansn't in a bad day in the Quater...
Please.......
Wow, you're kinda stupid .
No wonder your rep level is all red.

Try to recognise it when ppl are serious, and when they're not,
when you manage that, who knows, maybe one day, you'll have green dots .
mandy7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #12
country flag mapaliey

mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute mapaliey has a reputation beyond repute

top 20 is doing very welllllllllll

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA...MARIA SHARAPOVA...AMELIE MAURESMO
SERENA WILLIAMS...FLAVIA PENNETTA...DINARA SAFINA...STEFFI GRAF
MARION BARTOLI...SVETLANA KUZNETSOVA
mapaliey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #13
country flag tennisbear7

tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbear7 has a reputation beyond repute

Maria is the only one in the top 20 playing good, solid tennis.
tennisbear7 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #14
country flag matanuriel

just today Agnes and Petrova lost to lesser players, Bartoli can lose too.

I beliee that from the currunt top 20 the only players that are playing well are Maria, Ana, Jelena, Hantuchova, Nicole and Aga. The others are playing between OK-bad, but as someone said here it is just because my expectations from them are very high.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Last edited by matanuriel : Feb 26th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #15
country flag ZeroSOFInfinity
The Comeback Begins - January 2010.

ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute ZeroSOFInfinity has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by matanuriel View Post
Apart from Petrova, Bartoli and Schnyder, the others are doing quite nicely.... Chaky, Venus and Sveta will have to step it up though if they dun want to sink even lower like the former 3. As for Serena... well, stop pulling out at tournaments!

Australian Open 2010 Final Result:-
Lost to Serena Williams 4-6, 6-3, 2-6 (Great job, girl! Now prepare for FO!)
ZeroSOFInfinity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote