If Kim had won 2001 RG, do you think her career would have been very different? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:56 PM   #1
country flag DaMamaJama87

DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future
If Kim had won 2001 RG, do you think her career would have been very different?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuwGZ5mpDf0

I was just rewatching that match. What an amazing battle!
Such power, speed, agility and most importantly heart on display from both players. I was rooting for Kim but I couldn't help but feel happy for Capriati too. I remember the first time I watched it, the entire third set had me in fits

Kim was within 2 points of winning that match 4 times. I think if she had somehow won that match and her maiden GS final, her career would have turned out very differently. She would've got all the support from Belgium that Justine got for winning their first slam. I don't think she would be as nervy in later finals and this match would've propelled her into superstardom much earlier. Maybe she wouldn't have hated playing on clay so much either
Advertisement

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM   #2
country flag Slutati
The Most Lovely Member

Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute Slutati has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If Kim had won 2001 RG, do you think her career would have been very different?

She had a wonderful carrer I don't think i could ask for anything more than what she achieved.She was one of the best and i miss her
Slutati is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:58 PM   #3
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If Kim had won 2001 RG, do you think her career would have been very different?

Quote:
If Kim had won 2001 RG, do you think her career would have been very different?
Of course, she would have 2 single slams.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM   #4
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

She is an all-time great anyway, but she could have been so much better had she won more of those slam finals. It would have been much better had she beaten Henin in 2003 in a final. The 2001 loss was tough, but had Kim won it I still think she would have had her slight lapse in 2002 anyway. 2003 was when it really mattered, especially because she was facing Henin.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #5
country flag Slumpsova

Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute

i do
Slumpsova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM   #6
country flag Slumpsova

Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute Slumpsova has a reputation beyond repute

damn i miss her
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM   #7
country flag Slumpsova

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMamaJama87 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuwGZ5mpDf0

I was just rewatching that match. What an amazing battle!
Such power, speed, agility and most importantly heart on display from both players. I was rooting for Kim but I couldn't help but feel happy for Capriati too. I remember the first time I watched it, the entire third set had me in fits

Kim was within 2 points of winning that match 4 times. I think if she had somehow won that match and her maiden GS final, her career would have turned out very differently. She would've got all the support from Belgium that Justine got for winning their first slam. I don't think she would be as nervy in later finals and this match would've propelled her into superstardom much earlier. Maybe she wouldn't have hated playing on clay so much either
she doesn't hate clay bc she never won RG title. she hates it bc it costs her serious injury.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #8
country flag ToeTag

ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute ToeTag has a reputation beyond repute

Has she had her kid yet?
ToeTag is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:17 PM   #9
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would not have been much different - she would have just had one extra slam.

Kim had a very respectable career, one that any player would kill for.
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM   #10
country flag cecilija

cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of

RG 2001 should have been Justine's first slam, but she choked it away in the semis.

Kim was lucky to have reached the finals in the first place.
cecilija is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:23 PM   #11
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilija View Post
RG 2001 should have been Justine's first slam, but she choked it away in the semis.

Kim was lucky to have reached the finals in the first place.
Just like Kim has choked or not shown up mentally almost every time she's played in a slam against Henin?
I guess Justine was "lucky" too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:25 PM   #12
country flag cecilija

cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of cecilija has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
Just like Kim has choked or not shown up mentally almost every time she's played in a slam against Henin?
I guess Justine was "lucky" too.
I don't remember Kim ever choking like Henin did in that semifinal match.

As far as for not showing up mentally, if that's your excuse for being comprehensively beaten by Henin, then so be it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:35 PM   #13
country flag DaMamaJama87

DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future DaMamaJama87 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilija View Post
I don't remember Kim ever choking like Henin did in that semifinal match.

Did you watch the US Open final 2003? Australian Open semifinal 2003? Wimbledon semifinal 2003? Berlin 2003?
Of course you don't remember them.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:40 PM   #14
country flag cecilija

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMamaJama87 View Post
Did you watch the US Open final 2003? Australian Open semifinal 2003? Wimbledon semifinal 2003? Berlin 2003?
Of course you don't remember them.
I remember them all too well.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 09:55 PM   #15
country flag Mileen

Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute Mileen has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think so. I was thinking about that myself too. It would have been a big confident boost as a youngster.

* Patty Schnyder * Dinara Safina * Elena Dementieva * Vika Azarenka * Katarina Srebotnik * Dominica Cibulkova * Ashley Harkleroad * Sabine Lisicki * Nicole Vaidisova * Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova * Sesil Karatantcheva *
Mileen is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote