Israeli sports administrator accuses Shahar Peer of "unsporting conduct" - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:33 PM   #1
country flag raquel

raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute raquel has a reputation beyond repute
Israeli sports administrator accuses Shahar Peer of "unsporting conduct"

Shahar wasn't totally blameless but Anna Chakvetadze was no angel either
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...S-FED-PEER.XML

Peer accused of 'unsporting conduct' in Fed Cup tie

Tue Feb 5, 2008 10:51 PM GMT

TEL AVIV, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Israel's most senior sports administrator criticised tennis player Shahar Peer of 'unsporting conduct' for encouraging the crowd to put off opponents during last weekend's Fed Cup tie against Russia.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Alex Gilady said Israel's top player and world number 17 Peer had incited the partisan home crowd to try to distract the opposition.
"The crowd behaved this way because it was incited ... by Shahar Peer, I think this was unsporting conduct," Gilady said.

Fed Cup holders Russia won the tie 4-1 but some spectators in the capacity crowd of over 5,000 tried to unsettle the Russian trio of Maria Sharapova, Dinara Safina and Anna Chakvetadze.
Gilady said the crowd, some of whom had mimicked Australian Open champion Sharapova's grunting sounds as she hit the ball when she played Tzipi Obziler, had portrayed a "primitive" image of the country.
Gilady told Reuters he had sent a letter of apology for the crowd's behaviour to Russian Fed Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev, who is also an IOC member.
The Israel Tennis Association said in a statement that it did not accept Gilady's criticism of Peer, although it asked spectators to behave in an acceptable manner.
"The Israel Tennis Association rejects Alex Gilady's attack on Israeli No. 1 Shahar Peer who has shown has sporting abilities and will continue to lead the Fed Cup team in future ... the association calls on the spectators to show restraint and respect the rules," the statement read.
Israeli host Sweden in a Davis Cup tie at the same venue near Tel Aviv this weekend. Doubles player Jonathan Erlich said he did not expect a repeat performance.
"The crowd that came last weekend and those who will be here next weekend I think will be quite different. Next week the real tennis crowd will come," Erlich told reporters on Tuesday.
Erlich, who won the Australian Open doubles title with Andy Ram last month, said the crowd had "transgressed the rules a bit and upset us all"
raquel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #2
country flag spiritedenergy

spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute spiritedenergy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Israeli sports administrator accuses Shahar Peer of "unsporting conduct"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel View Post

TEL AVIV, Feb 5 (Reuters) - Israel's most senior sports administrator criticised tennis player Shahar Peer of 'unsporting conduct' for encouraging the crowd to put off opponents during last weekend's Fed Cup tie against Russia.
International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Alex Gilady said Israel's top player and world number 17 Peer had incited the partisan home crowd to try to distract the opposition.
"The crowd behaved this way because it was incited ... by Shahar Peer, I think this was unsporting conduct," Gilady said.

Fed Cup holders Russia won the tie 4-1 but some spectators in the capacity crowd of over 5,000 tried to unsettle the Russian trio of Maria Sharapova, Dinara Safina and Anna Chakvetadze.
Gilady said the crowd, some of whom had mimicked Australian Open champion Sharapova's grunting sounds as she hit the ball when she played Tzipi Obziler, had portrayed a "primitive" image of the country.
Gilady told Reuters he had sent a letter of apology for the crowd's behaviour to Russian Fed Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev, who is also an IOC member.
The Israel Tennis Association said in a statement that it did not accept Gilady's criticism of Peer, although it asked spectators to behave in an acceptable manner.
"The Israel Tennis Association rejects Alex Gilady's attack on Israeli No. 1 Shahar Peer who has shown has sporting abilities and will continue to lead the Fed Cup team in future ... the association calls on the spectators to show restraint and respect the rules," the statement read.
Israeli host Sweden in a Davis Cup tie at the same venue near Tel Aviv this weekend. Doubles player Jonathan Erlich said he did not expect a repeat performance.
"The crowd that came last weekend and those who will be here next weekend I think will be quite different. Next week the real tennis crowd will come," Erlich told reporters on Tuesday.
Erlich, who won the Australian Open doubles title with Andy Ram last month, said the crowd had "transgressed the rules a bit and upset us all"
so what was the crowd?
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #3
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquel View Post

Peer shouldn't take all the blame.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #4
country flag matanuriel

matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all matanuriel is a name known to all

Please stop making threads about Israel-Russia tie! This man that blame Shahar= sh*t in Israel nobody respect him or his opinion...

SERENA WILLIAMS~ANA IVANOVIC~NICOLE VAIDISOVA

TAMIRA PASZEK~AGNES SZAVAY~ALIZE CORNET

NOVAK DJOKOVIC
matanuriel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #5
beecharmer

beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice beecharmer is just really nice

Clearly Pe'er encouraged and laughed against Sharapova against Obziler but I think that was because she hated Maria and had a petty jealousy I don't think it was xenophobia...but Maria handled it so well, a beating and a "learn from this" should have been the end. Pe'er looked like a kindergarten after maria's admonission, so all is well.
beecharmer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM   #6
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

The crowd should not have been mocking Sharapova's grunting.
But Peer didn't start it or encouraged it. She just laughed. So did I. It was funny.
The chair should have given a warning, then a point penalty.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:14 PM   #7
country flag lolas

lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of lolas has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yeah, because the real tennis crowd is only interested when the men play
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #8
country flag Willam

Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute

Shahar rocks dude
Willam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM   #9
country flag davidmario

davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute davidmario has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it is easier to blame just one person than a whole crowd which represents the nation.
davidmario is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 11:39 PM   #10
country flag Peterk07

Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of Peterk07 has much to be proud of

It is always their leaders who make a crowd act like a mob. And it is their leaders who can calm them down.
Peterk07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #11
country flag Sarek

Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all Sarek is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmario View Post
Of course it is easier to blame just one person than a whole crowd which represents the nation.
I'll say it again & again - A lot of people in the crowd were completely good (but, naturally, you'll hear only about the bad guys). So, please don't blame the whole crowd.

Casey Dellacqua Daniela Hantuchová Melanie Oudin

Kim Clijsters ♦ Patty Schnyder
Sarek is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 12:27 AM   #12
country flag rollup

rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold rollup is a splendid one to behold

Biggest load of dreck I've read in a long time

You cannot blame Shahar for the behaviour of 5,000 people
rollup is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:17 AM   #13
country flag meyerpl

meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute meyerpl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to blame Shahar Peer for the behavior of the crowd, but when they started abusing the Russian players she had a choice; she could discourage the crowd by gesturing for them to cease or she could encourage the crowd by laughing and appearing to enjoy their obnoxious behavior. Unfortunately, she chose the latter. She could have encouraged her compatriots to be better hosts. I'd be ashamed if athletes visiting my country were subjected to that sort of treatment.

"The noblest work of God? Man. Who found it out? Man." - Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H.L. Menken
meyerpl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:21 AM   #14
country flag SvetaPleaseWin.
Heyyy

SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute SvetaPleaseWin. has a reputation beyond repute

Shahar did go along with it but the crowd were the problem not her, perhaps she could have stopped the behavior of the crowd if she hadnt laughed and what not but it was quite funny. the crowd did cross the line but i still laughed when they mimicked Marias grunt.
the israeli crowd were poorly behaviored in the davis cup tie against Britain last year-the players arent to blame, thats just how they react to tennis its not fair on the opposition but i dont think its gonna change
look at the Chinese crowd they go crazy over any half decent shot, cos tennis isnt seen much over there-its the same in Israel, they are extremely patriotic-perhaps a little too much
SvetaPleaseWin. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2008, 01:28 AM   #15
Experimentee

Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute Experimentee has a reputation beyond repute

at Erlich's comment

I also remember Okun's comment that Peer shouldn't get media coverage because shes a woman and its easy to succeed on the WTA. Israeli males seem very sexist.
Experimentee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote