Which players will take part in the US-Russia Fed Cup Semifinals? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 03:46 AM   #1
country flag maddogz48

maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future maddogz48 has a brilliant future
Which players will take part in the US-Russia Fed Cup Semifinals?

Since the Fed Cup Semifinals will be played in Russia, it's obvious that clay will be the surface of choice for the Russian team.
With that being said, will Russia really choose Sharapova to play for this tie on clay?

Which players do you all think Russia will send in against the USA if both Serena & Venus sign on to play represent the US?

I was thinking Russia would go with their best clay court players: Kuznetsova, Petrova, Dementieva and probably Chakvetadze.

Serena and Venus will have to literally carry the US team as Davenport is not likely to fly all the way to Russia and play on red clay since she is planning to skip the entire red clay court season along with the French Open.

Serena and Venus better be prepared to play singles and doubles for this Fed Cup Semifinal on clay and send the USA into the Fed Cup Finals.
maddogz48 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 03:53 AM   #2
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Which players will take part in the US-Russia Fed Cup Semfinals?

I god damn hope the Sisters play. Please, please, please! rays:
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #3
country flag vw.

vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute vw. has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like Venus is sure to play. Serena, I'm not 100% sure.
Davenport has already expressed interest to play for the entire, and I'm sure a change in surface won't change that. Plus, her and Raymond doubles team on clay is still pretty strong.

I like USA's chances if ONE of the WS shows up.
vw. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:26 AM   #4
QUEENLINDSAY

QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future

U.S. hero Harkleroad faces Fed Cup axe

U.S. hero Harkleroad faces Fed Cup axe
td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }
By Mark Lamport-Stokes
LA JOLLA, California, Feb 4 (Reuters) - Ashley Harkleroad led the United States into the Fed Cup world group semi-finals by winning her two singles matches on debut against Germany but could be dropped for the next round.
The U.S. meet champions Russia in the last four, almost certainly on a slow clay surface in Moscow, and accept they have to field their strongest team to have any chance of progressing.
ADVERTISEMENT
If available, their best singles players would come from the Williams sisters, Serena and Venus, and former world number one Lindsay Davenport.
"It all depends who we get to field," Davenport told reporters after winning her last two rubbers on Monday in the first-round tie against Germany.
"If we can field our strongest team, we have a great shot (against Russia). If not, it's going to be tricky because it's going to be, I'm sure, on a slow red clay court which is obviously not the Americans' best surface.
"We are fired up. We're going to try and talk either Venus or Serena into coming."
Neither of the Williams sisters was available for the La Jolla tie, although Venus did consider playing in it.
WAITING TIME
"Venus had me wait probably till a week up until (the team was announced)," U.S. Fed Cup captain Zina Garrison said. "She was going back and forth. She basically said she played five weeks straight and couldn't do it. Look for her in April."
Seventeen-times champions, the U.S. will be bidding for their first Fed Cup title since 2000 when they face Russia on April 26-27.
The Americans lost to the Russians 3-2 in last year's final on a hardcourt surface in Vermont.
"I'm tired of Russia," Garrison smiled. "I want the ones (players) who are here right now just to enjoy the fact that we have the opportunity to go to Russia."
Harkleroad, who sealed victory for the U.S. by beating German teenager Sabine Lisicki 6-4 7-5, said she would not be disappointed if overlooked.
"It just means that I would be able to continue to play tournaments and work on my own ranking, continue to play and continue to move up," added the 22-year-old, who crushed Tatjana Malek 6-1 6-3 in Saturday's opening singles.
"So I wouldn't be disappointed. They (Russia) are a tough team. But I definitely would be all for it if they asked me to go to Moscow, for sure." (Editing by Ed Osmond)
Up

Monica,Kim,Jelena
QUEENLINDSAY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #5
country flag Willam

Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute

For USA:

Serena
Venus
Raymond
Davenport

Russia:

Kuznetsova
Dementieva
Chakvetadze
Petrova

GG ♥ Sunny ♥ Taeyeon ♥ Hyoyeon ♥ Jessica ♥ Tiffany ♥ Yuri ♥ Yoona ♥ Seohyun ♥ Sooyoung ♥ SNSD
Willam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 04:51 AM   #6
country flag wtatennisballer

wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all wtatennisballer is a name known to all

Russia was talking so much smack this week in Israel, I hope we destroy them 5-0 .

Davenport
Venus
Raymond
Harkleroad

DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE MESSING WITH? IF IT'S A GAME, WE'RE NOT PLAYING. STAY OFF CENTRE COURT OR ELSE.
wtatennisballer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:04 AM   #7
country flag Cakeisgood

Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute Cakeisgood has a reputation beyond repute

If it's clay, Kuzzie for sure, Dementieva and Petrova. But I would drop Chak for Sharapova (note: Sharapova beat Chak at 2007 RG). Hell, Petrova's is an absolute head case, so maybe cut her and send Safina (or Chak or Sharapova, depending on who makes the team)

In love with Martha.
Cakeisgood is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:29 AM   #8
country flag Sharakim
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future Sharakim has a brilliant future

Americans
Williams the Elder
Davenport
Raymond
Harkleroad

Russians
Sharapova
Kuznetsova
Petrova
Dementieva
Sharakim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #9
country flag Junex

Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute Junex has a reputation beyond repute

USA
Williams S.
Williams V.
Davenport L.
Raymond L.

Russia

Sharapova M.
Kuznetsova S.
Petrova N.
Henina J.

Sesil "the thunder" Karatantcheva
Vaidisova-Azarenka-Pavlyuchenkova-A&U Radwanska-Wozniacki-Cornet
Junex is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:45 AM   #10
country flag mankind

mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute mankind has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junex View Post
Russia

Sharapova M.
Kuznetsova S.
Petrova N.
Henina J.
Well if that's the case, I think we can do without Petrova.
mankind is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #11
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Which players will take part in the US-Russia Fed Cup Semfinals?

I would hope the same players who made themselves available for the QTRs.
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #12
country flag Paneru

Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute Paneru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCourt~Rally View Post
I would hope the same players who made themselves available for the QTRs.
Then you may as well give
Russia a BYE to the finals now.
Paneru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM   #13
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure at all Kuznetsova will play. I'm sure Sharapova will not play.
And I don't how Venus could handle that crazy tournaments schedule she announced...
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #14
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute

Russians - Kuznetsova, Dementieva, Petrova & Safina

US - Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Lisa
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #15
country flag Elldee

Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future Elldee has a brilliant future

It'll be tough for Tarpishev because Sharapova will be available and is far and away the best Russian player at the moment. So it'll be a hard decision whether or not to play on clay. It'd be stupid not to, tho, I guess, giving the US's reputation on clay.

If I was Tarpishev and everyone made themselves available, I'd opt for:

Sharapova
Dementieva
Petrova
Chakvetadze

... but I'm not sure Elena D will want to nor be allowed to play.

Lindsay will be on the team if she's fit. She'd play singles or doubles, and will undoubtedly be the third singles option. It might even encourage her to play the French.

Elena Bovina | Anastasia Myskina | Flavia Pennetta
Fernando Verdasco | Tommy Haas

Q. Give us an update on the kid.
A. Are you serious?
Elldee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote