Williams sisters and Fed Cup - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Williams sisters and Fed Cup

Just looking through Fed Cup history in the last years and noticed that the last year that the Williams really played a big role in the Fed Cup was in 1999 when they with Davenport helped the USA to a victory.

Since then they haven't really participated in that competition full-time. Since then, they've also been the best players in the world with Henin being the only one who comes into the equation at all.

Anyway, I just think it's funny that the two best players in the world haven't turned up for the competition especially as they are enough to make a team and carry the team to a victory.

If the Williams sisters actually committed to playing Fed Cup, the USA would've been most of the Fed Cups since 1999.

Pas de Quatre: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, Coppélia
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM   #2
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Williams sisters and Fed Cup

Henin doesn't play Fed Cup much too, what's your point?
They try to help USA as much as they can,they can't play everytime, they need rest.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:49 PM   #3
country flag vettipooh

vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine how much more injuries they would have sustained. And how much more flack they would have gotten for pulling out of tournys from injuries/exhaustion/I need a break. They get enough heat as it is. And why isn't Justine, the world's best, at Fed Cup this week??

And It's Not Over Yet...Just Wait....Wait.
vettipooh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 01:58 PM   #4
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Justine can't win Fed Cup on her own. She can at most win 2 rubbers.

But the Williams sisters can make a team and win ties on their own.

That's the difference.

This isn't a criticism of the Williams sisters but rather that the winners of the Fed Cup haven't necessarily been the best players. In other words, if the best turns up, those that won probably wouldn't have won.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:00 PM   #5
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute

Justine can win 2 singles and carry the doubles team, so stop attacking the WS commitment, which you are doing, to their country.

Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM   #6
country flag KBdoubleu

KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute KBdoubleu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Justine can't win Fed Cup on her own. She can at most win 2 rubbers.

But the Williams sisters can make a team and win ties on their own.

That's the difference.

This isn't a criticism of the Williams sisters but rather that the winners of the Fed Cup haven't necessarily been the best players. In other words, if the best turns up, those that won probably wouldn't have won.
Yeah Kim C would have just dragged down the team and definitely wouldn't have been able to win a singles rubber on her own...
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM   #7
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
Justine can win 2 singles and carry the doubles team, so stop attacking the WS commitment, which you are doing, to their country.
It's not a question of commitment. It's about the best players (teams) winning. Frankly, I don't think the best have won the Fed Cup. It has become a bit of a joke.

The sisters have their slams to cement their greatness this decade and it would be good to have the Fed Cups too.

Who knows, maybe they'll turn up in the semifinals against Russia to give Maria the fright of her life.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM   #8
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute

I think for this tie I wouldnt have bothered the sisters neither to play Fed Cup. They cant play all the ties and its better to ask them to play in the next rounds against tougher opponents. Just looking at the German team one might have thought: we dont need them for this tie. Lindsay losing to Sabine was a shock loss, they didnt expect that at all. But last year they played, so you cant hold anything against them. I'm sure that if the USA progresses tonight, they'll help out in the semis.
Official Masseur of the Jelena Clinic
Djokovic, Davydenko, Tipsarevic, Wawrinka, Baghdatis, Gulbis, Troicki, Kyrgios
schorsch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 02:42 PM   #9
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schorsch View Post
I think for this tie I wouldnt have bothered the sisters neither to play Fed Cup. They cant play all the ties and its better to ask them to play in the next rounds against tougher opponents. Just looking at the German team one might have thought: we dont need them for this tie. Lindsay losing to Sabine was a shock loss, they didnt expect that at all. But last year they played, so you cant hold anything against them. I'm sure that if the USA progress tonight, they'll help out in the semis.
Let me clarify: I'm NOT talking about this particular tie. I'm talking about important ties from 2000-2007. I mean let's see countries like Italy won it? Weak.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:56 PM   #10
country flag drake3781

drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute drake3781 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there prize money for Fed Cup? (If so, how much?) Might help answer your question.
drake3781 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM   #11
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is, but it's not an official one. Every federation handles it differently. It's kind of like a "bonus" the players receive.

Some players dont see playing Fed Cup as an honour, so they sort of want to be paid like it was a job. Barbara Rittner (German Fed Cup captain) had a big fight with some players over this and other issues.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:12 PM   #12
country flag Svetlana.

Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute Svetlana. has a reputation beyond repute

Only if...

If Federer would have committed to the Davis Cup and his country then Switzerland would have won the Davis Cup every single year.
Svetlana. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM   #13
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

It is a shame the USA haven't won the Fed Cup since 2000. They have had 4 of the best players of this decade (Lindsay, Jennifer, Serena, Venus + Monica until 2003) and yet have only made one final since 2000 (and that final didn't feature any of the above players).

They have had the above 5 singles players, all who have dominated the game since 2000. They have also had 2 exceptional doubles teams in Lindsay/Lisa and S/V.

But I think in recent years, the best team has won (Russia). It's just they haven't been pushed enough by other countries.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:48 PM   #14
country flag schorsch

But Russia has so many players you know. You just wonder what the USTA is doing when the USA is such a big country, but they still can't come up with decent young and upcoming players. Thats why Russia is doing so well.

Belgium lost to Italy in 2006, yeah, but the entire team was only based on two players: Justine who had trouble with her knee and Clijsters who was out with a wrist injury.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM   #15
country flag SV_Fan

SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future SV_Fan has a brilliant future

Big competition is hard to find now and days at fed mostly. I.E. Kirsten flipkens.