2008 Match of the Week Thread - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:22 AM   #31
country flag jlk561

jlk561 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: 2008 Match of the Week Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
That's a really good win for Vanderbilt. They should be a No. 9-12 kind of team slightly ahead of William and Mary like team. Growing pains for Notre Dame, as they graduated they're No. 1 and No. 2 players last year.

I just found this out the other day. But apparently Kali Krisik is the niece of head coach Jay Louderback and while I don't expect favoritism (his daughter is also on the team but is not really in the line-up) you would think that Rafael probably could have won at the No. 6 spot and won the dual.

I was looking at Krisik's record (to see why she's ranked No. 89) and while she was 9-2 in the fall she had no wins over a ranked opponent. Rafael went 5-3, but unless she was injured you got to believe that Rafael is much better than Krisik.

You might want to take back what you have said about Krisik. I think she has more that earned her spot. She has lost 1 match. Check out her record. Her playing has nothing to do with her uncle being the coach, I can assure you of that. She won against Southern Florida beating their only ranked player. This was really a slam to both Jay and Kali. I hope you will look at the results from today (She won the match for them today against Wake Forrest). As far as Rafael goes, find out how they do against one another in practice. By the way, Rafael is not injured and has not been. Nothing against her, Kali has more than earned the spot and that is why she is there. Thank you.

Last edited by jlk561 : Feb 23rd, 2008 at 06:29 AM.
jlk561 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:24 AM   #32
country flag jlk561

Thumbs down Re: 2008 Match of the Week Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Hmm, I wonder why Rafael wasn't playing singles?
Check out Kali's results now. Thank you
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:41 AM   #33
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2008 Match of the Week Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk561 View Post
You might want to take back what you have said about Krisik. I think she has more that earned her spot. She has lost 1 match. Check out her record. Her playing has nothing to do with her uncle being the coach, I can assure you of that. She won against Southern Florida beating their only ranked player. This was really a slam to both Jay and Kali. I hope you will look at the results from today (She won the match for them today against Wake Forrest). As far as Rafael goes, find out how they do against one another in practice. By the way, Rafael is not injured and has not been. Nothing against her, Kali has more than earned the spot and that is why she is there. Thank you.
In my original post I said I didn't expect favoritism so I'm not slamming anyone. My reasoning for what I stated earlier is that most people would find it odd that a "blue chip" player is not in the starting line-up during her freshman year. Yes, maybe she's not as good as they thought, or she's struggling with the college game. But highly touted players (in tennis) almost always break into the line-up their freshman year unlike other scholarship sports. And while there are very good players on the ND team (Buck, Ciobanu, Rielley, and now Tefft who's playing hot) I don't think their depth is so deep that it would require a blue-chip to sit out.

One thing that I've never liked about college tennis is the "order of strength" line-up. No one sees the results of practice matches and thus I believe you're never certain as to which players are actually better than others. I'm not singling out ND here. I think many schools, even some of my favorites, could potentially be accused of stacking during duals. While I don't particularly like the way college rankings are structured, I do wish that the singles line-up had to be ordered according to ranking as to create a systematic way of ordering singles players. I think it would make things more transparent.

And now a slightly off topic response to the rankings. While I understand the order of strength on a team, you have to believe one system (either the rankings or order of strength) is messed up if your only ranked player is at No. 6? Yes I understand the many factors involved (ie who you won/lost to in duals, how many matches you played, etc.) but you got to admit it's odd.

Lastly, I also have a problem when the player above you in the line-up has a poor record and you're on a multiple win streak yet you still play behind. Yes you might not be able to beat that person during a challenge match and that's why you play behind them but again there is no transparency in challenge matches.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:44 AM   #34
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Texas with a good win thanks in part to their bottom line-up. They should be a top 20 team but really no higher than 15.

Quote:
#27 Texas 5, #16 William and Mary 2
Singles
No. 1 - #8 Megan Moulton-Levy (W&M) def. Vanja Corovic (Texas) – 6-2, 6-2
No. 2 – Katarina Zoricic (W&M) def. Stephanie Davison (Texas) - 7-6, 6-2
No. 3 – Courtney Zauft (Texas) def. Ragini Acharya (W&M) – 6-2, 6-1
No. 4 – Caroline Larsson (Texas) vs. Klaudyna Kasztelaniec (W&M) – 6-2
No. 5 – Maggie Mello (Texas) def. Lauren Sabacinski (W&M) – 6-2, 6-2
No. 6 – Sarah Lancaster (Texas) def. Carmen Pop (W&M) – 6-7 (3), 6-2, 10-4
Finishing Order: 1, 3, 5, 4*, 6, 2

Doubles
No. 1 - #26 Moulton-Levy/Zoricic (W&M) def. #29 Corovic/ Marija Milic (Texas) – 8-5
No. 2 – Mello/Zauft (Texas) def. Acharya/Sabacinski (W&M) – 8-5
No. 3 – Davidson/Larsson (Texas) def. Kasztelaniec/Pop (W&M) – 8-5
Finishing Order: 2, 3*, 1
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:13 PM   #35
country flag jlk561

This is not the Juniors anymore. Once these girls get to college, they are all on a level playing field. Some players peak in the juniors due to hours of play and practice. Others rise when they are on the same playing field. There are players that were top in the juniors that are no longer at the top. I am just saying that you need to check out the facts. You are off base, but that is your opinion. Jay has proven himself as a very smart and great coach. Believe me, he knows what he is doing. Credit is due to a player that has one all but one match.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM   #36
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Check out Kali's results now. Thank you
I never said that she should be playing instead of Krisik. As you have made clear, Krisik has been playing very high quality tennis this season, so there is no reason for her to be sitting out. I was just wondering why Rafael, one of the top recruits in the country, wasn't in the line-up. Notre Dame has had a solid season so far, so Coach Louderback obviously knows what he's doing. Please don't come in here and jump on anyone. We are just trying to have a discussion about college tennis.
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM   #37
Tennisace

Quote:
This is not the Juniors anymore. Once these girls get to college, they are all on a level playing field. Some players peak in the juniors due to hours of play and practice. Others rise when they are on the same playing field. There are players that were top in the juniors that are no longer at the top. I am just saying that you need to check out the facts. You are off base, but that is your opinion. Jay has proven himself as a very smart and great coach. Believe me, he knows what he is doing. Credit is due to a player that has one all but one match.
I kept my first response to you without any personal attacks because this is a discussion board where tennis is the topic at hand not jabs to other posters. In accordance, I will continue to not personally attack and what you choose to do is up to you.

Again, nobody said Krisik didn't deserve to play. At only the second dual match of the season, posters were wondering where Rafael was. Injury was a possible answer because let's face it unlike the pro tour it's very difficult to find out when someone is injured. Another answer is maybe Rafael's game doesn't translate as well on the indoor surface seeing how ND is an indoor team. It seems like you have some insight into the ND team, which would have been helpful a month ago when we were wondering what had happened. No one is arguing with you although you seem to think we are.

In the spirit of discussion, do you think Krisik should move up to the No. 5 position given that Potts has gone 6-6 in 2008?
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:34 PM   #38
country flag jlk561

Sorry if it seemed I was rude. I did not mean it to be. I guess the personal stuff was what bothered me. I did not respond in order to jab, just clear up some things.
The ND team lost two very strong players in both singles and doubles. The Thompsons were great girls on and off the court. ND is now a young team and working on rebuilding. As far as Kali moving up, that is in the hands of the coach and I leave it up to him. With Women's tennis, who knows day to day who should be playing where. Have a good day. Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM   #39
country flag jlk561

Sorry if it seemed like I was jumping on you. I did not mean to be rude if it sounded like that I am sorry. It just seemed personal. Have a good day. Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:09 PM   #40
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the ga tech uga match and uga won 4-3....I'm on my way home and am still a bit shocked....they were up 3-1 and the number 3 singles decided the tie where dancevic beat flower 6-7(7-9),6-3,7-5....flower let a 5-2 lead slip and cried off the court....it was FREEZING and it was the coldest ever and I was sitting there for nearly 5 hours...high quality though

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:16 AM   #41
tennis_pIayer

tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all tennis_pIayer is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbuddy12 View Post
I went to the ga tech uga match and uga won 4-3....I'm on my way home and am still a bit shocked....they were up 3-1 and the number 3 singles decided the tie where dancevic beat flower 6-7(7-9),6-3,7-5....flower let a 5-2 lead slip and cried off the court....it was FREEZING and it was the coldest ever and I was sitting there for nearly 5 hours...high quality though
really really shocked at this outcome, considering Gtech was playing at home, and they had just beaten georgia 7-0!!! several weeks ago. crazy i feel. I know Gtech was w/o their #2 player, but they still shoulda had enough depth to win the match, especially since they won doubls!!
tennis_pIayer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:30 AM   #42

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

you went to it? why was their number 2 out?

Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:47 AM   #43
Tennisace

Wow that is a shocker. Georgia has really impressed me, especially given that they only have 6 girls on the team. Did they play outdoors? If it went down to Flower, she has admitted to having mental problems so I'm not too shocked that she left a 5-2 lead slip. It's kind of ironic because at the Indoors she pulled some clutch wins and thought she had "conquered" her nerve.

Quote:
#4 Georgia 4, #1 Georgia Tech 3

Singles competition
1. #6 Kristi Miller (GT) def. #32 Kelley Hyndman (GA) 6-1, 6-2
2. Yvette Hyndman (GA) def. #21 Whitney McCray (GT) 6-1, 6-7 (2-7), 6-2
3. #51 Monika Dancevic (GA) def. #30 Kirsten Flower (GT) 5-7, 6-3, 7-5
4. Naoko Ueshima (GA) def. #84 Christy Striplin (GT) 6-3, 6-1
5. Cameron Ellis (GA) def. #85 Noelle Hickey (GT) 6-3, 6-4
6. #19 Maya Johansson (GT) def. Adrienne Elsberry (GA) 6-1, 6-4

Doubles competition
1. #22 Kelley Hyndman/Monika Dancevic (GA) def. #16 Miller/ Flower (GT) 8-4
2. McCray/Sasha Krupina (GT) def. #21 Yvette Hyndman/ Ueshima (GA) 9-7
3. Striplin/ Hickey (GT) def. Ellis/ Elsberry (GA) 8-3

Match Notes:
Georgia 7-1; National ranking #4
Georgia Tech 7-2; National ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,1,5,4,2,3)

Last edited by Tennisace : Feb 24th, 2008 at 02:52 AM.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 02:57 AM   #44
Tennisace

For those of you that don't know, No. 2 Northwestern has a chance to take over the No. 1 ranking tomorrow when it plays No. 5 UNC. Although NW beat them 4-0 at the Indoors, you have to imagine NW might play tight knowing the No. 1 is on the line.
Old Feb 24th, 2008, 03:18 AM   #45

It was outdoors and about 40 degrees and it lasted 5 hours.