2008 Match of the Week Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 24th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #1
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold
2008 Match of the Week Thread

Unless you follow college tennis religiously, it's hard to keep up with all the dual matches that are being played. Thus, to make things easier and have a better context for predicting matches for the NCAA team championships I decided to keep a thread of the "matches of the week." We'll define matches of the week as top teams (top 20 or big upsets) facing each other.

Last week, No. 7 Northwestern faced off against No. 15 William and Mary. I thought it would have been a much closer match but Northwestern really blitzed the Tribe.

This Friday, UCLA takes on Baylor should be a close one.

Quote:
#7 Northwestern 7, #15 William and Mary 0
Singles:
No. 1 - #2 Maria Mosolova (NU) def. #12 Megan Moulton-Levy (W&M) - 2-6, 6-3, 10-3
No. 2 – #9 Georgia Rose (NU) def. #83 Kat Zoricic (W&M) - 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
No. 3 - #20 Samantha Murray (NU) def. #55 Ragini Acharya (W&M) - 6-0, 6-4
No. 4 - #99 Nazlie Ghazal (NU) def. Klaudyna Kasztelaniec (W&M) - 6-3, 6-0
No. 5 - #68 Lauren Lui (NU) def. Magdalena Bresson (W&M) - 6-0, 6-1
No. 6 - Suzie Matzenauer (NU) def. Lauren Sabacinski (W&M) - 6-1, 6-2

Doubles:
No. 1 - #7 Lui/Murray (NU) def. #46 Moulton-Levy/Zoricic (W&M), 8-5
No. 2 - Conill/Rose (NU) def. Acharya/Bresson (W&M), 8-6
No. 3 - Ghazal/Mosolova (NU) def. Barbara Zidek/Kasztelaniec (W&M), 8-6
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 01:53 AM   #2
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold
Re: 2008 Match of the Week Thread

The first upset of the year was on Monday from the Lady Vols who used to be a top team back in the 2001-2003 seasons. Their victims were UNC in a 7 hour 7 minute marathon.

Quote:
#22 University of Tennessee 4, #12 University of North Carolina 3
Jan 21, 2008 at Knoxville, Tenn. (Goodfriend Tennis Center)
Singles competition
1. Caitlin Whoriskey (UT) def. Katrina Tsang (UNC) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. #14 Sanaz Marand (UNC) def. Connor Vogel (UT) 6-2, 6-0
3. #72 Austin Smith (UNC) def. Ghizela Schutte (UT) 6-4, 7-5
4. Jelena Durisic (UNC) def. Samantha Orlin (UT) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3
5. Jennifer Meredith (UT) def. Laura Reichert (UNC) 6-1, 6-2
6. #95 Zsofia Zubor (UT) def. Meg Fanjoy (UNC) 7-5, 4-6, 8-6

Doubles competition
1. #2 Caitlin Whoriskey/Zsofia Zubor (UT) def. #8 Sanaz Marand/Sophia Grabinski (UNC) 9-7
2. #26 Ghizela Schutte/Rosalia Alda (UT) def. Austin Smith/Meg Fanjoy (UNC) 8-5
3. Katrina Tsang/Laura Reichert (UNC) def. Connor Vogel/Jennifer Meredith (UT) 8-2

Last edited by Tennisace : Jan 25th, 2008 at 01:58 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 11:23 PM   #3
country flag Vector

Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice Vector is just really nice

Vandy's off to a good start (5-0), including today's upset of #9 Notre Dame.
No. 16 Vanderbilt 4, No. 9 Notre Dame 3
Currey Tennis Center - Nashville, Tenn.

Doubles Play:
1. No. 3 Brook Buck/Kelcy Tefft (ND) def. Taka Bertrand/Catherine Newman (VU) - 8-5
2. Amanda Taylor/Courtney Ulery (VU) def. No. 50 Kali Krisik/Colleen Rielley (ND) - 8-5
3. Cosmina Ciobanu/Kristen Rafael (ND) def. Caroline Ferrell/Keilly Ulery (VU) - 9-8 (4)

Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3

Singles Play:
1. No. 34 Amanda Taylor (VU) def. No. 62 Cosmina Ciobanu (ND) - 6-4, 6-2
2. No. 24 Catherine Newman (VU) def. No. 64 Brook Buck (ND) - 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. No. 13 Courtney Ulery (VU) def. No. 88 Colleen Rielley (VU) - 6-1, 6-4
4. Kelcy Tefft (ND) def. Taka Bertrand (VU) - 6-3, 6-1
5. No. 82 Katie Potts (ND) def. Keilly Ulery (VU) - 7-5, 7-5
6. Caroline Ferrell (VU) def. No. 89 Kali Krisik (ND) - 6-2, 6-4

Order of Finish: 3, 4, 1, 5, 6, 2

Updated Team Records: Vanderbilt 5-0; Notre Dame 1-1
Vector is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #4
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I wonder why Rafael wasn't playing singles?
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #5
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, also, the UCLA-Baylor match was cancelled because of inclement weather.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Tennisace

That's a really good win for Vanderbilt. They should be a No. 9-12 kind of team slightly ahead of William and Mary like team. Growing pains for Notre Dame, as they graduated they're No. 1 and No. 2 players last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Hmm, I wonder why Rafael wasn't playing singles?
I just found this out the other day. But apparently Kali Krisik is the niece of head coach Jay Louderback and while I don't expect favoritism (his daughter is also on the team but is not really in the line-up) you would think that Rafael probably could have won at the No. 6 spot and won the dual.

I was looking at Krisik's record (to see why she's ranked No. 89) and while she was 9-2 in the fall she had no wins over a ranked opponent. Rafael went 5-3, but unless she was injured you got to believe that Rafael is much better than Krisik.
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:19 PM   #7
Tennisace

Here's hoping the rain holds up at Stanford tomorrow. Due to rain canceling matches, Stanford will host Fresno State tomorrow in their opening dual match. It looks like it might be rained out though but here's hoping it doesn't. Should be an interesting match given that it's Stanford's first dual (it's technically Fresno State's first but they played hidden duals at Cal two weeks ago).

This would be a good time if ever for Fresno State to upset. They have a good No. 1-3 (4) line-up not to mention the current No. 1 doubles team and another solid No. 29 doubles team.

I wonder if Fresno State will go bush league again and stack like they did against USC last year (despite beating USC 4-3, USC filed a complaint and the ITA concluded Fresno State had stacked).
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM   #8
Tennisace

Slightly off-topic, but does anyone know if No. 4 Ani Mijacika is coming off an injury because right now Clemson is putting her at No. 3 singles?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 01:39 AM   #9
Tennisace

Stanford leads Fresno State 1-0 but it's raining and I doubt the dual will be finished. Looks like Stanford is going with the following singles line-up: No. 1 Barte, No. 2 Nguyen, No. 3 Burdette, No. 4 Durkin, No. 5 Deason, and No. 6 McVeigh.

Barte is the first freshman to play No. 1 singles since Amber Liu.

Quote:
#2 Stanford 1, #14 Fresno State 0
Doubles Play
No. 1 #1 Melanie Gloria/Tinesta Rowe (FS) def. Hilary Barte/Lindsay Burdette (ST) 8-5
No. 2 Whitney Deason/Jessica Nguyen (ST) def. #29 Anastasia Pethukova/Renata Kucerkova (FS) 8-6
No. 3 Celia Durkin/Carolyn McVeigh (ST) def. Danon Beatty/Vanessa Heroux (FS) 8-3
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:54 AM   #10
Tennisace

Notre Dame falls victim again. They're starting to populate this thread for the wrong reason.

Quote:
Michigan 4, #12 Notre Dame 3

Singles
1. Chisako Sugiyama (U-M) d. #62 Cosmina Ciobanu, 6-3, 6-1
2. #64 Brook Buck (UND) d. Tania Mahtani, 6-4, 6-2
3. Whitney Taney (U-M) d. #88 Colleen Rielley, 6-4, 6-1
4. Denise Muresan (U-M) d. #82 Katie Potts, 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
5. Kelcy Tefft (UND) d. Rika Tatsuno, 6-0, 6-0
6. #89 Kali Krisik (UND) d. Lindsey Howard, 7-6(4), 6-3

Doubles
1. #3 Buck/Tefft (UND) d. Mahtani/Sugiyama, 8-6
2. Taney/Tatsuno (U-M) d. Ciobanu/Krisik, 8-4
3. Howard/Muresan (U-M) d. Kristen Rafael/Rielley, 8-3

Order of Completion: Doubles 3-1-2, Singles 5-2-1-3-6-4
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 11:10 AM   #11
country flag tucker1989

Maybe Rafael just isn't playing that well right now? I still think that the coach needs to put her in and give her a shot, especially with these recent results.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 04:06 AM   #12
country flag azza

azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute azza has a reputation beyond repute

c'mon Pratty
azza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:41 AM   #13
Tennisace

Stanford putting up a slightly different line-up against UC Davis which makes me wonder if they were a little more than afraid of Fresno State. In doubles they moved up Durkin/McVeigh from No. 3 to No. 2 replacing Deason/Nguyen. As for singles, they moved Barte from No. 1 to No. 3 behind Nguyen and Burdette. I'm not saying they stacked...it's just a coincidental flip flop.

Big match this weekend, Georgia Tech vs. Northwestern. Maya Johansson hasn't played in any of the duals so far although she did play the NCTC tournament. I wonder if she's injured or having eligibility problems (I doubt the later but you never know).
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM   #14
Tennisace

Northwestern takes the early 1-0 lead despite being down early in doubles in all three spots. It's kind of crazy how everyone in singles is ranked except for one player.

Northwestern cleaning up against No. 1 Georgia Tech. Looks like Stanford will be ranked No. 1 for the Team Indoors.

Quote:
#7 Northwestern 6, #1 Georgia Tech 1
Doubles
1. #7 Lauren Lui/Samantha Murray (NW) def. Kristi Miller/Kirsten Flower (GT) 8-5
2. Whitney McCray/Amanda McDowell (GT) def. Georgia Rose/Suzie Matzenauer (NW) 8-3
3. Nazlie Ghazal/Maria Mosolova (NW) def. Noelle Hickey/Christy Striplin (GT) 8-6

Singles
1. #7 Kristi Miller (GT) def. #2 Maria Mosolova (NW) 6-2, 6-3
2. #9 Georgia Rose (NW) def. #3 Amanda McDowell (GT) 0-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. #20 Samantha Murray (NW) def. #22 Whitney McCray (GT) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
4. #68 Lauren Lui (NW) def. #6 Maya Johansson (GT) 7-6, 6-2
5. #99 Nazlie Ghazal (NW) def. #38 Christy Striplin (GT) 6-4, 6-3
6. Suzie Matzenauer (NW) def. #56 Noelle Hickey (GT) 6-3, 6-2

Last edited by Tennisace : Feb 3rd, 2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #15
Tennisace

There is confirmation that Mijacika is injured, Clemson better hope she's healed in time for Indoors which starts in a couple days.

Quote:
#34 Virginia Commonwealth 4, #9 Clemson 3

Doubles
1. Salge/Van Adrichem (CU) def. Konstantinova/Leonchuk (VCU), 8-3
2. Hadziselimovic/Luc (CU) def. Uvarova/Yergina (VCU), 8-6
3. Balda/Henry (CU) def. Burns/Malakhova (VCU), 8-3

Singles
1. #35 Tatsiana Uvarova (VCU) def. #85 Carol Salge (CU), 6-2, 6-1
2. Estefania Balda (CU) def. Viktoria Konstantinova (VCU), 7-6(3), 6-3
3. Olena Leonchuk (VCU) def. Ina Hadziselimovic (CU), 7-6(4), 6-3
4. Kateryna Yergina (VCU) def. #53 Federica van Adrichem (CU), 6-3, 7-5
5. Laura Burns (VCU) def. Alexandra Luc (CU), 7-5, 1-6, 6-1