Could this be the year that Sharapova finally takes over? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM   #1
country flag BartoliBabes

BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future BartoliBabes has a brilliant future
Could this be the year that Sharapova finally takes over?

Not just based on the one match against Justine today, but throughout this whole tournament she has really surprised me. She's playing better than anyone at the minute and this tournament could be hers if she plays like this for two more rounds. I can't see anyone but Venus being capable of stopping her when she's hot like this. I don't think Jankovic at her very best could handle her shots right now and i don't think Ivanovic or Hantuchova have the consistancy or mental ability to contend with her, and i just don't think Radwanska has the weapons (Yes i know Radwanska did it at the US but Maria was totally off that day). I'm not even that fond of Sharapova but i'm just appreciating the tennis she's produced. But then again who knows if she can keep it up for the rest of the tournament nevermind the rest of the year. She can be a bit up and down. What do you guys think?

Bartoli / Riske / Lucic / Dokic / Hantuchova / Halep
BartoliBabes is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM   #2
country flag Mightymirza

Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Could this be the year that Sharapova finally takes over?

well its better for her to stay down.. once she gets to number 1 she gets into all sorts of troubles

Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Myskina Safarova

When I have my goals set, I always attain them- Justine
Mightymirza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM   #3
country flag @Sweet Cleopatra

@Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future @Sweet Cleopatra has a brilliant future

I really hope she keeps it up cause this is the level of tennis that deseves Slams ,
@Sweet Cleopatra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:52 PM   #4
country flag serenus_2k8

serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute serenus_2k8 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, congrats to Masha, fantastic win! I didnt get to see the match but it sounds like there was some great tennis on display which is no doubt great. I guess Masha really loves the AO hey?

I think as long as she can hold this sort of level, Masha will be a huge threat

usopen and wimbledon
#219juniorchampions #220

venuswilliams serenawilliams
serenus_2k8 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM   #5
country flag sfselesfan

sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone is going to "take over." The field is too deep now.

These threads frustrate me because the women's game is different now than it was previously. Last week everyone was so sure Justine had "taken over" and now people are saying Maria could "take over."

Perhaps people need to accept that the field is deep and every tournament is wide open.

Enjoy, it took us long years of suffering through Steffi and the Seven Dwarves to get here. Look at the men's tour. Completely boring.

SF
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:53 PM   #6
country flag Tennisstar86

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

Jankovic is a tricky player... dont count her out. she retrieves well and has an amazing backhand...
Tennisstar86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:54 PM   #7

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfselesfan View Post
I don't think anyone is going to "take over." The field is too deep now.

These threads frustrate me because the women's game is different now than it was previously. Last week everyone was so sure Justine had "taken over" and now people are saying Maria could "take over."

Perhaps people need to accept that the field is deep and every tournament is wide open.

Enjoy, it took us long years of suffering through Steffi and the Seven Dwarves to get here. Look at the men's tour. Completely boring.

SF
The mens tour is not boring... I swear every match from the 2nd/3rd round on has had two big names(players who have done damage in the past) going at it,
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM   #8
country flag Poova

Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute Poova has a reputation beyond repute

Stop with all these threads!

People were saying the same thing after the US Open 2006, that 2007 was going to be Maria's best year yet.

You just don't know for sure what's going to happen.
Fedak / Czink / Harkleroad / Gallovits
Kleybanova / A.Bondarenko / Watson

Poova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM   #9
country flag sfselesfan

sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute sfselesfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisstar86 View Post
The mens tour is not boring... I swear every match from the 2nd/3rd round on has had two big names(players who have done damage in the past) going at it,
Look at the slam results for the last four years and tell me it isn't boring.

SF
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM   #10
country flag LDVTennis

LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future

Quote:

SF

In those years when you were suffering, Steffi raised the women's game to a level where it compared favorably to the men's game. She played just like Federer with her serve/forehand combination. Here's a flashback showing how well her game compared to Federer's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH70UJu3n4A and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU23ruYwMRc

After Steffi retired, there was no one with her technical agility and athelticism to keep the ball bashing style introduced by Monica Seles from taking over and turning the women's game into what it is today.
Steffi Graf was part of a youth tennis group that was studied from age 12 and then followed, and the scientists called her "the perfect talent" even then. In addition to her many tennis-specific skills, her aerobic capacity was on par with the best distance runners in Europe. --- David Epstein, The Sports Gene
LDVTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVTennis View Post
In those years when you were suffering, Steffi raised the women's game to a level where it compared favorably to the men's game. She played just like Federer with her serve/forehand combination. Here's a flashback showing how well her game compared to Federer's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH70UJu3n4A and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU23ruYwMRc

After Steffi retired, there was no one with her technical agility and athelticism to keep the ball bashing style introduced by Monica Seles from taking over and turning the women's game into what it is today.
yeah.... cause steffi did a great job keeping monica from winning those 8 GS real quick before she got stabbed...
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Look at the slam results for the last four years and tell me it isn't boring.

SF
Sure, the finals are boring... but heck so were ALL the womens finals last year......the men have a much better tournament, and Fed isnt quite as unbeatable as he use to be, and im not just talkin about his last match. he looked quite vulnerable in 07 as well....but most of his matches he has the same thing goin for him that justine had after the US Open through to Sharapova tappin that ***, just like Serena had in 03'......fear from other players when they walk on the court even if they werent playing that good...
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM   #13
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Graf 's losses to Seles led to the level of security being raised so dominant players wouldn't get stabbed on court in the future. On court, all Graf could do was watch Seles win majors.

Sharapova might be on her way to her first 2 slam year, but she won't dominate the game. Not yet.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM   #14
country flag Destiny

Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute Destiny has a reputation beyond repute

oh no you didn't!!!
The field is deep and every tourney in my opinion is getting less predictable

TWITTER NAME : https://twitter.com/Mozzawalks
Destiny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM   #15
country flag Wannabeknowitall

Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute Wannabeknowitall has a reputation beyond repute

Nope because there's someone with a similar game who has shown she can crush Maria, at the slam she seems to want the most, Wimbledon.
Her name is Venus Williams.

Black presidents of the US=1
Black head coaches in the SEC=0
Something needs to change.

Last edited by Wannabeknowitall : Jan 22nd, 2008 at 08:54 PM.
Wannabeknowitall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote