Australian News, Gossip, Results and Cheering Thread!! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #1
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute
Australian News, Gossip, Results and Cheering Thread!!

As the 103rd Australian Open draws nearer, I thought that we could start a thread for the Aussie girls who will be competing at Melbourne Park. This Open may well prove to be the most successful in recent times for our local players with four main draw direct entrants - Samantha Stosur, Alicia Molik, Nicole Pratt and Casey Dellacqua - and five wildcards...

There is also the very real possibility that both Anastasia Rodionova and Jarmila Gajdosova will become 'Australianised' in time for the Open which would booster our numbers even further.

In this thread, you can post news and gossip in the lead up to and during the 2008 Open, and the results for all the Aussies in singles, doubles mixed doubles and juniors throughout the fortnight...

GOOD LUCK GIRLS!!
Advertisement

Old Dec 1st, 2007, 10:14 PM   #2
country flag Harvs

Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute Harvs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Australian News, Gossip, Results and Cheering Thread!!

This is what I want to happen at the least

Sammy - 3rd round
Alicia - 4th round
Nicole - 2nd round
Casey - 2nd round

I think they are realistic aims for our girls Of course they would be depending on the draws they get...

Harvs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 10:19 PM   #3
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie Open responds to heat complaints - AAP
Saturday December 1, 2:10 PM

The Australian Open will have its own weather station and weatherman, as well as a new heat policy, to try to prevent players suffering in extreme conditions at Melbourne Park next month.

The revised policy comes after Russian Maria Sharapova labelled as "inhuman" conditions in which she was forced to play during this year's Open, while other top players warned there could be serious medical ramifications.

The most significant policy change is that players in the upcoming Open will no longer have to complete matches that are already underway once the extreme heat rule is invoked, instead only having to complete the current set.

Previously, players who had just started a match had to complete it, even if it meant sweltering through a full five sets in extreme conditions.

In another change, the decision to suspend play will be completely at the discretion of the tournament referee, whereas previously Open organisers used a specific cut-off point, based on calculations of a set of weather readings.

Tournament director Craig Tiley said several top players from Australia and overseas had been consulted about the changes and the feedback was very positive.

"Previously if we invoked the heat policy the matches continued until the conclusion of a match," Tiley said.

"Some players were out here in very extreme conditions for another three to four hours.

"Now we're saying at the end of a set the matches will come in, so we're not going to create that situation where players have to battle it out with a lack of performance because of the heat for a long time."

As in the past, play will be able to continue on the two courts with retractable roofs, Rod Laver Arena and Vodafone Arena.

Tiley said the newly-installed Plexicushion courts, which replaced the old Rebound Ace surface, would also help player comfort, as they had a thinner layer of rubberised cushioning, which meant they would retain less heat, which has been a major factor in the past.

He said the on-site weather station and meteorologist would also be a significant aid, as organisers would receive precise forecasts instantly.

"We can take all those factors and put them together ... the most important is the actual forecast, that's something that's going to really be able to help us, if there's a sea breeze coming in we know we'll probably be alright by the afternoon," he said.

Encouragingly, the designated on-site weatherman, Bob Leighton, said the long-range outlook for the Open dates, January 14-27, indicated temperatures for most days would be in the mid-20s, with less likelihood of 40-degree days than this year.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2007, 10:20 PM   #4
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...[Harvs]... View Post
This is what I want to happen at the least

Sammy - 3rd round
Alicia - 4th round
Nicole - 2nd round
Casey - 2nd round

I think they are realistic aims for our girls Of course they would be depending on the draws they get...

Yeah I agree with you on Nicole & Casey, not so sure about Alicia & Sam. Hopefully time will tell.
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:58 AM   #5
country flag Mr.Kardashian

Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Kardashian has a reputation beyond repute

i want pratty to do well; its probably her last Open right?
Mr.Kardashian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 02:59 AM   #6
country flag aussie_fan

aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future aussie_fan has a brilliant future

Good news about the heat policy, got a good system with it now, just finish the set, good idea.

It's all going to depend on the draw for our girls and how far they'll make it. I wouldn't be commenting on how sammy is going to go considering she's been out of the game for a while with the virus. just hope she can be 100% fit and get some confidence.

Alicia Molik|Sam Stosur|Nicole Pratt|Casey Dellacqua|Sophie Fergsuon|Monqiue Adamczak|Jess Moore|And the rest of the aussies

Also support: Ana Ivanovic| Maria Kirilenko| Misa Krajicek| Marion Bartoli| Jarmila Gajdosova| Lucie Safarova
aussie_fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:35 AM   #7
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future

Can anyone confirm that Qualifying will once again be played on the Thursday, Friday & Saturday?
Rising Sun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:32 AM   #8
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by danker View Post
Can anyone confirm that Qualifying will once again be played on the Thursday, Friday & Saturday?
Mens quali starts on Wed and finishes Sat.

Women Thu-Sat
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:34 AM   #9
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute

see provisional schedule on attatchment
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ProvisionalScheduleAO2008.pdf (70.4 KB, 23 views)
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:47 AM   #10
country flag TO newbie

TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold TO newbie is a splendid one to behold

I just love the fact that TheBoiledEgg posted the schedule with the big bold confidential title on it.
Thanks for keeping us who are "outside" the tent as informed as you can.
Thanks
M
TO newbie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:33 AM   #11
country flag rada

rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute rada has a reputation beyond repute

any news out about the entry list? what the cut off is? and also wanted to ask if canberra is still be played?

Good luck Jovana Jaksic, Sabine Lisick, and flavia pennetta

Monica Seles the real number one always
Good luck to all the Aussie girls Oi Oi Oi
rada is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #12
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

Bump!

No Canberra is not being played
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #13
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Any news out about who get the Last Wildcard Play-off wildcards?

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #14
country flag WIMBY

WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of WIMBY has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO newbie View Post
I just love the fact that TheBoiledEgg posted the schedule with the big bold confidential title on it.
Thanks for keeping us who are "outside" the tent as informed as you can.
Thanks
M

6 Singles titles and 24 Doubles titles, 3rd rnd 2012 & 1/4 Final 07 Wimbledon Mixed Doubles, Round 2 Wimbledon 06

"You have to dream big and go for it. Surround yourself with people who believe in you and ignore those who try to bring you down. Never give up, no matter what - overcoming obstacles makes you stronger." "If it is to be, it is up to me".
WIMBY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #15
country flag OZTENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
Any news out about who get the Last Wildcard Play-off wildcards?
Alison Bai
Marija Mirkovic
Alenka Hubacek
Tyra Calderwood
Isabella Holland
Sally Peers
Olivia Rogowska
Winner Brittany Sheed/Jenny Swift