Is Aga's power underrated? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 30th, 2014, 10:43 AM   #1
country flag Hugues Daniel
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute Hugues Daniel has a reputation beyond repute
Is Aga's power underrated?

When I see 17 years old Aga standing with Dementieva on indoor hard court, hitting with remarkable power and stamina, one wonders if her so-called lack of power isn't overstated? It seems like if Aga trains right, she can hit that ball fairly well, and show them all what she can do (instead of being ackowledged for her touch, variety and consistency only).

What do you think?

Or is that lot of competition has hurt her arm and shoulder that she doesn't seem able to hit that ball hard on a regular basis now? Though she can still hit very well.
Hugues Daniel is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 30th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
country flag MichaelN

MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Aga's power underrated?

The thing with Aga is: she hits the ball fast and flat but not powerfully. Sometimes she chooses the wrong time to put power onto it. My favourite outright winner she has done is the backhand down the line on MP vs Azarenka at the Rogers Cup. I don't know why, it just seemed really powerful and unreachable despite the fact Vika was quite close by.

Mess - Guestoria - Trashbine - Ula - Baby Blessing

TE: Slam winner and #1.

Meow
MichaelN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 03:58 PM   #3
country flag Landon92

Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold Landon92 is a splendid one to behold

I remember one of the commentators saying during Radwanska-Hingis Miami match, when Aga hit quite hard and deep return-winner, "that's the danger that Radwanska represents". I always felt like in early 2007 not many people still knew what really was Aga's weapons - her consistency, touch, variety, movement. Generally that time it was believed that when someone young and promising played, it had to be all about power. And it pretty much was, with Azarenka, Szavay and Paszek, Wozniacki actually as well. So Aga was often considered in the same group as them mainly because of belonging to the same age group/generation. Of course her or their age didn't change but Aga isn't put in the same group anymore, Azarenka is very well known for her backhand and taking ball so early, Aga is known for her court craft and variety. I think it's all about stereotypes, it is often believed that for example Azarenka can't hit a beautiful touch stop-volley which is a piece of cake for Aga but we all remember her amazing stop-volley in Cincinatti 2013 final against Serena. Same for Aga, her over 150km/h forehand cross-court with Keys was such a suprise not only because of how hard it actually was hit, but also because of the fact that it came from Aga's racket.

I don't think her power is underrated. She generally hits the ball with less power then her opponents but occasionally can hit much harder than most of them.
Landon92 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #4
country flag MichaelN

MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute MichaelN has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. She can hit hard but hitting hard consistently with her 2014 form would drain her of energy VERY QUICKLY.

Mess - Guestoria - Trashbine - Ula - Baby Blessing

TE: Slam winner and #1.

Meow
MichaelN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 02:39 PM   #5
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

IMO no. She doesn't generate much of her own power. She is good at turning an opponent's power back to them.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
pov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote