Whatever happened to .......... - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:34 PM   #16
country flag Calvin M.

Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future
Re: Whatever happened to ..........

Did you know...

Quote:
Part of the credit goes to "the girls," as the Woodies refer to their off-court partners. Todd Woodbridge is married to the former Natasha Provis, who he met through Natasha's tennis-playing older sister, Nicole. The couple live in Orlando, Florida.
Calvin M. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #17
country flag Calvin M.

Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future Calvin M. has a brilliant future

Erika de Lone update
Calvin M. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #18
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Want to know what happened to Stacy Margolin: http://www.hikingojai.com/hike-bike-ojai-guides.html She also has a Facebook site that connects to many other players. Interesting!
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #19
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Wendy Overton: http://www.corcoran.com/agents/profi...RTON&region=FL
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #20
country flag kwood

kwood is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information on Stacey Margolin. There have been a lot of interesting names that have come up on this thread. One further request - does anyone know anything about what happened to Peaches (Jane) Bartkowicz? Here was an invincible junior star of the mid-60s,a Jean Hoxie protegee, unbeaten in her age group (which included the calibre of Rosie Casals, Patti Hogan,etc)and tipped for future stardom. She had a successful senior season in 1969 and was ranked 10 in the world,and was unbeaten in her Wightman Cup and Federation Cup matches. Not such successful seasons followed in 1970 and 1971 and then no further records. Does anyone have any updates on Peaches?
kwood is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #21
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
We'll have to do some digging on Vicky Palmer Preacherfan-for some reason I had it in my head she was a serve and volleyer!

Spiceboy do you or antone else know the details in Tanvier's book? I gathered from somewhere that she claimed to have faced sexual harassment or abuse, which she says hurt her career???

My French is tres pauvre---(from the french wiki on Tanvier)

En mai 2007, sept ans après avoir définitivement raccroché sa raquette, elle publie une autobiographie (Déclassée, de Roland-Garros au RMI[1]) dans laquelle elle revient sur les péripéties de sa vie d'athlète de haut niveau et n'épargne personne : de la Fédération française de tennis, qui ne voit en ses joueuses que des « machines à gagner », au WTA Tour, « resté sourd à ses appels de détresse », en passant par les coachs qui « abusent des jeunes filles ». Outre ses problèmes familiaux et une tentative de suicide, elle explique enfin ses démêlés avec le fisc, lequel lui réclamerait 700 000 euros, soit la totalité de ce qu'elle aurait amassé en vingt ans de tennis
This is my translation of the text in French, I don't think she means that she was abused in a sexual way as the word abuse in Latin languages means other kind of ill-treatment and sexual too, but not necessarily so. I'm not as fluent in French as in English, but I understand it pretty well, so I hope this is useful for those who are interested:

In My 2007, seven years after having left the tennis tour, her autobiography was published (Declassé, de Roland-Garros au RMI), where she tells about the incidents of her high-level athlete life and no one is spared: people from the French Tennis Federation, who only consider their players as “winning machines”; people from WTA who “remained deaf to her calls for help”, and the coaches too, “who abuse these young players”. Also, her family problems and a suicide attempt, and she explains too her troubles with French tax authorities, who demanded € 700,000, that is, the whole of her twenty-year tennis career earnings.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #22
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks for the information on Stacey Margolin. There have been a lot of interesting names that have come up on this thread. One further request - does anyone know anything about what happened to Peaches (Jane) Bartkowicz? Here was an invincible junior star of the mid-60s,a Jean Hoxie protegee, unbeaten in her age group (which included the calibre of Rosie Casals, Patti Hogan,etc)and tipped for future stardom. She had a successful senior season in 1969 and was ranked 10 in the world,and was unbeaten in her Wightman Cup and Federation Cup matches. Not such successful seasons followed in 1970 and 1971 and then no further records. Does anyone have any updates on Peaches
Kiwifan-Peach's story is a sad one. If my memory is correct she was involved in a car accident that killed someone and either faced (or served) time in jail. I might have posted about-I'll check.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #23
country flag Ignatius

Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice Ignatius is just really nice

Quote:
Kiwifan-Peach's story is a sad one. If my memory is correct she was involved in a car accident that killed someone and either faced (or served) time in jail. I might have posted about-I'll check.
Are you sure that you mean Peaches Bartkowicz? This happened to Regina Marsikova but surely not to Peaches also?
Ignatius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 10:27 PM   #24
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm quite sure it happened to Peaches as well.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #25
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

http://www.bigsportsfanatics.com/art...ers_21740.html

Jane Peaches Bartkowicz

Tennis is an outdoor sport which can be played between two players or four players. Players utilize a stringed racquet to hit a rubber ball, hollow inside covered with felt over a net into the opponent's court. In some places tennis is referred to as lawn tennis. This game started in England and was the most popular amongst the upper class of society. Presently tennis is an Olympic sport, as well as, it is played in various tournaments including the four Grand Slams in many countries, by people of all ages and classes.

Jane Peaches Bartkowicz was born on April 16, 1949, in Hamtramck, Michigan and was one of the top woman tennis players from the United States in the 1960s. Bartkowicz was ranked in the US top ten every year from 1966 to 1971. Her highest ranking was No. 4, which she hit in both 1967 and 1969. Among her many titles, Bartkowicz won both the singles and the doubles title in both 1966 and 1967 at Cincinnati. She also won the singles title at Canada in 1968. She reached the quarter-finals in singles at the US Open in 1968 and 1969.

Bartkowicz had a 7-0 record in singles in Fed Cup play, and was a member of the US team which won the cup in 1969. As a youngster, she won 17 junior titles including the girls' singles title at Wimbledon in 1964. She attended Queens College in New York City. Bartkowicz retired as a player in 1971. She was subsequently jailed for manslaughter, having killed a man while driving a car. Bartkowicz has been enshrined in the United States Tennis Association and Midwest Hall of Fame.

She was a player known for her mental toughness, and because of that, many of her most famous matches went the distance. She was a unique and skilled tennis player who in her career drew many fans. Being one of the all-time revolutionary players, she was always applauded for her stunning effort contributing to the game. During her career till now she has won several titles and was always in the process of improving her play.
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #26
country flag AllezRichie

AllezRichie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
What's Catherine Tanvier doing there? She had a nice and long career

She reached her first 4R GS showing in the Australian Open 1982 and her last one in AO 1991, reaching that round 6 other times
OMG... Memory Lane Big Time....

I can recall the Catherine was playing the futures events here in Australia, think she ended up also taking out the masters

At the time when Catherine burst on the scene, we didn't know much about French except for Frankie Durr, & then we have these French girls we have never heard of before, Catherine Tanvier, Corrine Vanier, Sophie Amiach, & Catherine Suire

Don't anyone quote me on this.... Going on what I sort of recall

At one of the futures events, pretty sure they had a story on the crop of French girls, also a photo of them or at least Catherine.... She was pretty short Blonde Hair & it wasn't really seen here before that Catherine also wore Mens style shorts or did at this time.... as a young kid certain things stay in the memory bank, didn't know what to think as I had only seen the girls wear dresses before

Catherine always did well on her many many trips to Australia, she seemed to come down here every year....

The next bright prospect for France was Pascale Paradis.... pretty sure Pascale was playing Chrissie Evert when the then LTAA (now Tennis Australia) had the big cake celebration for Chrissie to celebrate her 1000th Match victory, Pascale may have won the first set in a TB which delayed the celebrations for Chrissie

Chrissie must of left some of her gear back at the hotel, starts to get ready & shock... No Tennis Knickers in her gear... someone made a quick dash to Kooyong's Pro Shop for Chrissie
AllezRichie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #27
country flag AllezRichie

[quote=Ignatius;14964993]Are you sure that you mean Peaches Bartkowicz? This happened to Regina Marsikova but surely not to Peaches also?[/QUOTE

Regina Marsikova.... Poor Regina never got the form back after this, someone might be able to help me with my trip down memory lane...around this time was Regina at maybe her highest ranking & looked to be really going places with her career? something tells me she did well or won the Italian Open then this happend to her, Regina tried to kick start her career again but was never the same player again... They had her in the Australian Tennis Magazine with a playing picture shot on clay for Ellesse??... her hair was as white as.... very simular to Jana Novotna

So many girls from Czechoslovakia came down to Australia, even in the times when the Australian Open was almost dead & buried till they split the mens & womens events so they would hopefully get some players to come down to Australia

Renata Tomanova... Renata was here year after year.... as a kid you recall certain things.... She was super sexy, a real sex kitten.... was she dating or engaged to the top Australian male now commentator John Alexander??

Hana Mandlikova... burst onto the scene at the Toyota Classic at Kooyong when she beat Australia's Wendy Turnbell in a big upset to take the title

Petra Langrova, super sexy Iva Budarova, (pretty sure she bundled Sue Barker in 1st Round at Kooyong) Katrina Skronka, Helena Sukova, Petra Delhees?? (Think she may have defected & played for Switzerland, Hana Strachanova, Maria Pinterova- think she maybe another Czech but played under Hungary

Just a few names in a quick walk down Memory lane... dare say heaps more

The days of Tennis at Kooyong, Ted Tingling doing the post match interviews, Peter Landy (Is he still alive or he had a TV death??) Garry Wilkinson (still at it with 7), Allan Stone (Another golden oldie still doing it with 7)... They were great days at Kooyong, even the Ding Ding of the trams in Kooyong Road!

A Golden Era indeed!

Last edited by AllezRichie : Mar 9th, 2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added a little
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #28
Jem

[quote=AllezRichie;15151783]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
Are you sure that you mean Peaches Bartkowicz? This happened to Regina Marsikova but surely not to Peaches also?[/QUOTE

Regina Marsikova.... Poor Regina never got the form back after this, someone might be able to help me with my trip down memory lane...around this time was Regina at maybe her highest ranking & looked to be really going places with her career? something tells me she did well or won the Italian Open then this happend to her, Regina tried to kick start her career again but was never the same player again... They had her in the Australian Tennis Magazine with a playing picture shot on clay for Ellesse??... her hair was as white as.... very simular to Jana Novotna
It was the German Open that Marsikova won in 1981. She had a good 1981, apart from the majors where she sucked. She got destroyed by Casals -- past her prime -- in the first round of the U.S. Open in 1981, and the accident happened in Czechoslovakia shortly after that. She was off the tour until 1985. She started strongly, reaching the QFs and SFs in two of her first three events. Thereafter, she had a hard time finding consistency, but continued to play until 1989. She had good groundstrokes, but maybe lacked the mental consistency to earn a top 10 place, even before her career got sidetracked. Still, I suspect had the accident not happened (she was charged with DUI and went to prison, so you can't really call it an accident), she probably would have cracked the top 10 at some point.

As for Delhees, wasn't she a true Swiss -- and not a transplant? I never recall her playing for anyone other than the Swiss, even as a junior. She eventually became Petra Delhees Jauch and put together a nice career, including leading the Swiss to the Fed Cup semifinals one year when they hosted the tournament.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #29
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
As for Delhees, wasn't she a true Swiss -- and not a transplant? I never recall her playing for anyone other than the Swiss, even as a junior. She eventually became Petra Delhees Jauch and put together a nice career, including leading the Swiss to the Fed Cup semifinals one year when they hosted the tournament.
You're right Jem. Delhees was always Swiss. But Allez Richie has a good memory-there WAS a Czech who defected to Switzerland in the early 80s I believe. Could it have been Strachanova ?

BTW, welcome to the Blast Allez Richie

Tomanova has to be one of the least known women ever to make two slam finals. And yes, what a hottie!!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #30
country flag AllezRichie

Quote:
You're right Jem. Delhees was always Swiss. But Allez Richie has a good memory-there WAS a Czech who defected to Switzerland in the early 80s I believe. Could it have been Strachanova ?

BTW, welcome to the Blast Allez Richie

Tomanova has to be one of the least known women ever to make two slam finals. And yes, what a hottie!!

Thanks for the welcome to Blast from the past.....

Got myself mixed up with the czech players.... It was Hana Strachanova

Tomanova, her voice matched her looks..... she was my pick the year Barbara Jordan won the title!, well besides from Sue Barker

Memory Lane.... Keeps our brain clicking over too make sure we havent got Old Timers!