Tennis Forum banner

How many quality competitive matches have their been this year?

Votes: 2 6.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 13.8%

• 5+

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • there have been many quality competitive matches this season

Votes: 14 48.3%

How many quality competitive matches have there been this year?

2K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  OsloErik 
#1 · (Edited)
How many quality competitive matches have there been this year on the WTA tour?

I recall Serena vs. Justine in Miami, a match between Justine and Amelie at Eastborn, Venus vs. Jankovic at the USO, and that's about it, so 3?

#4 ·
Re: How many quality competitive matches have their been this year?

at least 3 matches between jelena and justine have been very competitive this year. also a semifinal of LA between ana and jelena was extremaly competitive, with ana coming back froma match point down at 4-5 and winning it in some fashion, and after all that match was extremely competitive. also ana vs. sveta at berlin final, and also yesterday at YEC. so, what's your point? i'd say 10+.

#7 ·
The wackos running this tournament are idiots. Single elimination.
How many times can people watch Hantuchova?
Do it like a tournament. You don't have 8 players good enough for this.

The design of the YEC is awful, and you get awful unwatchable tennis in most matches.

#8 ·
There's been loads:

Jankovic-Safarova at Wimbledon
Venus-Jankovic at USO
Chaky-Krajicek at Wimbledon
Henin-Mauresmo at Eastbourne
Henin-Mauresmo at Dubai
Henin-Jankovic at Berlin

That's just off the top of my head, there's been others too. But the quality for the YEC so far has not really been that great.

#9 ·
Safina vs. Pin - Toronto

Bartoli vs. Henin - Wimbledon

V Williams vs. Jankovic - US Open

#10 ·
They should be playing with a field of 16. Bring in Bartoli, Dementieva, Petrova, Vaidisova, Golovin, Schnyder, and play a tournament.

#11 ·
There's always a lot of quality competitive matches every year. The difference is this year, there has not been too many top-quality matches.

I didn't think the Miami match was that high quality. Serena wasn't playing well, then Henin choked. Mauresmo-Henin in Eastbourne and Henin-Venus at USO is all that I remember. JJ/Venus at USO had some very patchy bad tennis at times and some great tennis at times.. it wasn't as great as some people remember.

#12 ·
There haven't been many and funnily enough pretty much all the ones i remember involve Jankovic (and i don't think she won many of them either).

Venus vs Jankovic was the only match i actually saw that i really thought was a positive statement for the tour.

Jankovic vs Safarova was good as well but not high profile enough to matter.

Justine vs Amelia at Eastbourne was a good match as well.

#16 ·
Kuznetsova/Radwanska in Stuttgart was ridiculously high quality, as was Elena/Amelie.

#17 ·
How many quality competitive matches have there been this year on the WTA tour?

I recall Serena vs. Justine in Miami, a match between Justine and Amelie at Eastborn, Venus vs. Jankovic at the USO, and that's about it, so 3?

errr... You include Venus vs Jankovic and not Venus vs Justine? Quality-wise, that was one of the best matches I've ever seen and easily one of the best this year.

#21 ·
Exactly, in terms of drama Venus/JJ was fantastic, but there were so ... many ... errors it could hardly be called great quality. Venus/Justine was less dramatic and not as "good" a match in that respect but far superior in quality.

#37 ·
Well, pre-US Hardcourt swing, there's:

Sydney Final: Clijsters def. Jankovic
Aussie R32: Peer def. Golovin (that was a GOOD match)
Aussie QF: Serena def. Peer (my GOD that was the turning point)
Dubai Final: Henin def. Mauresmo
Berlin QF: Henin def. Jankovic (that was great clay tennis)
Berlin Final: Ivanovic def. Kuznetsova
Eastbourne Finale: Henin def. Mauresmo
Wimbledon R128: Kuznetsova def. Vakulenko (the winner-error ratio was incredible, IIRC)
Wimbledon Semi: Bartoli def. Henin (Henin didn't really drop a level, Bartoli just didn't let her play aggressive)

Were any of these classics? No. The deep end of the slams haven't had any truly classic matches this year. But many of these were VERY high quality matches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.