Arantxa Rus - Page 204 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:36 PM   #3046
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Arantxa Rus

Arantxa in the WTA column "Getting to Know":

Quote:
PARIS, France - Dutch lefty Arantxa Rus - no, she's not named after a certain Spaniard - knows as well as anyone how hard it is to crack the big time, no matter how successful one is in the juniors. Still only 20, the 2008 Australian Open junior champion has been making steady progress, though, winning six ITF Circuit titles and reaching her third WTA quarterfinal at Estoril last month. And, in beating Kim Clijsters in the second round at Roland Garros on Thursday, Rus achieved her best Grand Slam result to date; whatever happens against Maria Kirilenko in the third round, the Top 100 beckons.

We caught up with Arantxa the day after her upset of Clijsters.

How did you get into tennis?
AR: When I was five years old my older sister, Kim, brought me along to our local tennis club. I started to play for fun, but I started taking it seriously after a little while.

Tell us about your family.
AR: I was born in Delft but now I live in Monster, in the Netherlands. I've always lived with my parents and sister. My dad works for the big German company BASF, and my mom works in an office three days a week. My parents are not playing tennis, but they like to watch tennis and they really like to watch me! They've been here in Paris all week.

How far did you go in your education?
AR: I finished high school a couple of years ago. I tried to keep going with more study but I've really had to concentrate on my tennis.

What's your coaching situation?
AR: I began practicing with the Dutch tennis federation when I was 14 or 15, and have been working with Hugo Akkar and Eddy Bank ever since, and more recently Ralph Kok, who's with me here.

How do you describe your playing style?
AR: I'm a lefty with a two-handed backhand, and I play with lots of spin. I like my backhand more, but I like both of my groundstrokes. I have a good serve too; sometimes I win a lot of points with my serve.

Have you being working on any particular aspects of your game of late?
AR: I've been working on my whole game but maybe with some extra focus on my volleys and serve.

If you could steal a shot from another player, what would it be?
AR: I would take the forehand of Nadal.

Do you have a favorite surface?
AR: I prefer to play on clay.

Did you have a tennis idol when you were growing up?
AR: No, not really.

How have you found the transition from juniors to the WTA?
AR: I did well in the juniors, in singles and doubles. But the competition is a lot different. When I started playing the tour I noticed the players want to win every single point and they just don't let up. In the juniors, if you're up a set they sometimes don't believe they can win anymore. The level of competition is much different overall.

Who has been your toughest opponent to date?
AR: I would say Maria Sharapova, who I played in Madrid recently. I won the first set but she beat me in three.

What is your best tennis memory so far?
AR: Yesterday against Kim Clijsters! She's a real hero, I always liked to see her playing. It was great, really, really nice to play on such a big stadium against her. It's definitely the biggest win of my career.

What are your goals in tennis now?
AR: I want to be in the Top 70 by the end of the year, and after that my goal is Top 30 or Top 20.

How would you spend your ideal day off?
AR: I'd go into the city with friends, do some shopping and go to the cinema.

What non-tennis skill or talent would you like to have?
AR: I'd like to be able to sing or play a musical instrument.

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what would it be?
AR: Happy.

What quality do you appreciate most in others?
AR: I like people who try to always be positive towards others.

If you could meet anyone in the world, who would you like it to be?
AR: Brad Pitt.

If not tennis…
AR: I really have no idea what I'd be doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 11th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #3047
country flag dusan993

dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold dusan993 is a splendid one to behold

Do you know why is Arantxa playing qualifying matches for Unicef Open? I mean why wasn't given an wild card to her? O.o
dusan993 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3048
country flag Sasja

Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusan993 View Post
Do you know why is Arantxa playing qualifying matches for Unicef Open? I mean why wasn't given an wild card to her? O.o
She wanted to play quallies here. Get some match practice on the grass
Sasja is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #3049
country flag Sander.

Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute Sander. has a reputation beyond repute

Arantxa won the first set against Indy de Vroome: 6-3. It's raining now in 's Hertogenbosch.
Sander. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #3050
country flag Andiyan

Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute

Won 63 60. Easy as expected. Vandeweghe up next.

Indy
Andiyan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #3051
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute

Solid start

Andrea Petkovic - Sara Errani - Jarka Gajdosova - Alizé Cornet
Dorien. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #3052
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

well played, next one is coco
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #3053
country flag Sasja

Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute Sasja has a reputation beyond repute

Aran

Indy
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #3054
country flag Borisz

Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light Borisz is a glorious beacon of light

Aran beats Vandeweghe(USA WTA-98) 64 64

For the MainDraw one of the following opponents
- Qualifier ( with R2 against Kim Clijsters)
- Dulgheru
- Kuznetsova(2)

Last edited by Borisz : Jun 12th, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
Borisz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #3055
country flag Håkon

Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute

But doesn't get a wildcard for Wimbledon
game wins: FITD US Open '12, Guangzhou '10 (#1 since 8 July 2013), TT Indian Wells '11, TT doubles Moskva '11, Brussel '12, Pattaya '13, Stuttgart '13 (w/Andreas), PAW 4 titles, Suicide Olympic gold + 2 titles, Tipping 3 titles (#1 for 25 weeks, USO Series '12), Q-Ball 7 titles, Blackjack #1 2012, Pentathlon #1 2012 (5 titles)
Азарэнка | Павлюченкова | Arvidsson| Halep | Eikeri | Clijsters | Rus | Van Uytvanck | Watson | Bertens | Superboerin Hogenkamp | Schoofs
Håkon is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #3056
country flag Sasja

Aran

So she will probably play her 1st round match tomorrow as she also wants to play quallies for Wimbledon.
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #3057
country flag Andiyan

Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute

And tank?
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #3058
country flag Sasja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiyan View Post
And tank?
Or maybe she can start quallies on Wednesday, win MD R1 tomorrow and tank R2 on Tuesday
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #3059
country flag Andiyan

Would be great.. Kiki could do the same, no?
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #3060
country flag Sasja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiyan View Post
Would be great.. Kiki could do the same, no?
Sure, why not? Win against Errani and tank R2 probably against Kuznetsova

Great tournament this turns out to be

BTW impressive win from 17 y.o. Alison van Uytvanck. She qualifies for the MD and could be Aran's next opponent.