Katia Afinogenova Cheering Thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:56 PM   #1
country flag Warrior

Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Katia Afinogenova Cheering Thread

I've just found out that she is in top 500. Does anyone know her schedule for the rest of the year? Will she try to get in the US Open qualifying? Will she play Kremlin Cup?

Go Katia!
Warrior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 05:19 PM   #2
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
She got injured in her last match in Dallas 4 weeks ago

No idea where she will be playing but she should have stayed a bit longer in the juniors just for this yr even.

Kremlin Cup i doubt it, she would be out of her depth just right now (maybe 2003)
Her USTA results don't exactly look too good.
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2002, 12:03 AM   #3
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
What kind of injury?

I hope Katia stays healthy and improves by leaps and bounds!
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2002, 01:41 AM   #4
country flag Warrior

Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute Warrior has a reputation beyond repute
Her results can be found here:

http://home17.inet.tele.dk/wta/sp/afin2775.htm

They are not very impressive, but at least she manage to raise her rank to 470.
Warrior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:12 AM   #5
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
it seems that this girl is overhyped... at least here on this board... and we all know who's done it
Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:13 AM   #6
Vanity
Team WTAworld

Vanity is an unknown quantity at this point Vanity is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sorry to say, but I don't trust anyone that comes out of Rick Macci's camp anymore.
Vanity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:32 AM   #7
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
tenn_ace, we hardly ever hear about Katia Afinogenova. Who's overhyping her? Can you fill me in?

Vanity, a rare Queen Vee sighting in Russian Roulette!
But I have to agree with you about Rick Macci. Whoever told Katia to quit the juniors last year made a mistake.

And there was no reason for Katia to sign a 10 year contract with Macci a few years ago. I was shocked when I read that then! And I'm still shocked about it! But I hope Katia puts her difficulties behind her and plays some fine tennis.

Udachi Katia!
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:08 AM   #8
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
The cat, I have a question to you, if you wouldn't like to answer, it's OK.
I understand that most of the posters in this forum have an obvious Russian connection. Do you have any specific reasons behind your support for Russian WTA and ATP players?

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
ys is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:13 AM   #9
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
the cat, about a year ago, our dear TBE had some post about Katia being a really good prospect......... that's actually how I learn about her. we even had a thread discussing her future. She IS probably talented, but, even playing lots of tournaments, she still hasn't done what other girls of her age did. I bet it's really discouraging for her........

anyhow, good luck Katia!
Old Jul 21st, 2002, 11:18 AM   #10
country flag TheBoiledEgg
Moderator - Challengers & Juniors

TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute TheBoiledEgg has a reputation beyond repute
her results haven't matched up, but she still is only 15
nearly all her wins have been in 10K events

once she grows into her body, i'm pretty sure she'll do good.

Not everyone can become really good at 15 or so.
MINELLA LARRIERETsurenkoAlize Lim*El Tabakh*Robson*Cirstea*Juhaszova*Zanevska*Broady*Bouchard*Savic*M irza*Pennetta*Hantuchova*Cibulkova*Ivanovic*Fitzpatrick*Remondina*Domachowska*Flipkens*Hercog*Hofmanova*Schoofs*Cet kovska *Svitolina*Pliskova's*Rus
http://www.twitter.com/TheBoiledEgg
TheBoiledEgg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:10 PM   #11
Vanity
Team WTAworld

Vanity is an unknown quantity at this point Vanity is an unknown quantity at this point
I was just looking up old threads on Katia, and one poster said that they met her and she said she was "too good" for juniors. Given her coach though, that's not surprising, since I am sure Macci has been blowing up her ego. I wonder if she still thinks that. I hope not, since she hasn't even won a 10K yet, and the competition level in juniors is MUCH higher than that of a 10k event.
Vanity is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:13 AM   #12
the cat

ys, I'll gladly answer your question. Up until about 10 years ago, I did not cheer for Russia or the Soviet Union in sporting events. In fact I rooted against Russia. But once the breakup occured, I started to follow Russia and it's athletes closer. I read a New York Times article on Anna Kournikova in February of 1992, about her move from Moscow to Bradenton. In Bradenton, Anna would have the opportunity to train in with the best facilities in the world. She did have have that opprtunity to train under such great conditions in her homeland.

That's when I began to look at the Russian athlete in a different light. I used to see the Russian/Soviet athletes and teams as the so called "bad guys". But once I understood how hard life was for them and nearly all Russians, I changed my views on Russia. I started to view Russians as underdog athletes and Russia as an underdog country.

In the 1980's, I really liked the Swedes! Classy and wonderful players! I especially liked Stefan Edberg. And I always rooted for him to beat everyone. Including American players! And I'm not ahamed to say that I rooted for Sweden over America in the Davis Cup Ties they had. It's only tennis afterall!

After Edberg retired in 1996, I was looking for a new favorite player. And there she was, Anna Kournikova, making her grand slam debut at the 1996 U.S. Open. At that time I really didn't pay much attention to women's tennis. But Anna changed all that. I even started rooting for Chesnokov and Kafelnikov, too.

In my eyes, the once mighty Russia was now an underdog in the sports world! And I started to root for Russia in all sports in the World Championships and Olympics. The Cold War was over. My all time favorite sports memeory is the Miracle On Ice at the 1980 Winter Olympics when the underdog American Hockey team pulled off a monumental upset to beat the great Soviet hockey team!

But that was then. And this is now. I am quite attracted to Russian history and culture. And I want to see Russia as a country improve it's quality of life in our lifetime! Naturally America comes first for me as a country. But I don't mind hoping that Russia has a better future than it seems to have.

I even rooted for Russian athletes and teams in the recent Olympics. I rooted for Irina Slutskaya to become the first Russian woman to win figure skating gold! But she let it slip away, and Sarah Hughes won the gold. I rooted for a Russian over a fellow Long Islander! And I rooted for the Russian hockey team over the American team. This is only sports. And the Cold War is long over. The Miracle On Ice can never be replace or duplicated! But that was a long time ago. And the once mighty Russian/Soviet spots factory was decimated.

From Kournikova to Kafelnikov to Safin and Dementieva, I root for the Russians first and foremost in tennis. I like them as people, and they a very mediocre tennis history that I want to see developed into something special! Naturally I like Kournikova, Dementieva and Sharapova the most. Safin drives me crazy! But I really like the big guy!

I generally like Russian athletes. Pavel Bure is a favorite of mine. Sergei Fedorov, too. And a number of Track and Field athletes, too. And Wrestling great Alexander Karolin might be the most impressive champion athlete and person that I have ever seen!

And I like Russian models, too! I think they should being doing better as a country producing top Fashion Models. I mean Russian women are quite beautiful! Yet small countries like the Czech Republic and Slovakia produce more top models than Russia does. And that perplexes me.

And I rooted for Miss Russia to bw the first Russian women to win the Miss Universe Pageant. And she did!

The fact is ys, I enjoy rooting for Russian athletes! And Russia as a country. Fifteen years ago I never thought this would have been possible! But it has happened. In my eyes, Russia is now an underdog country in alot of trouble ecenomically and healthwise. I hope the situation improves. But unfortunaltely that's not likely anytime soon.

One of my favorite Russian athletes is Elena Zamolodchikova. I rooted for her so hard in the 2000 Sydney Olympics. And when she didn't come through for Russia in the Gymnastics team competition, I wanted to cry for her because her Father had died earlier in the year. But then she came through to win 2 indivdual Gymnastics gold medals for Russia. I was so happy for her!

I don't know if I made myself clear. I have had 2 glasses of White Wine tonight! But I tried to express myself intelligently and coherently.

Inetresting question ys. I hope I gave a good answer!

P.S. - I hope Rick Macci has not hurt Katia Afinogenova's career! Whoever told her to quit the juniors made a big mistake! I hope Katia can recover from that.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg

Last edited by the cat : Jan 26th, 2003 at 12:00 AM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:32 AM   #13
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute ys has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks, the cat..

Quote:
My all time favorite spots memeory is the Miracle On Ice at the 1980 Winter Olympics when the underdog American Hockey team pulled off a monumental upset to beat the great Soviet hockey team!
Recently I had a flight to Rockies on the wonderful New-York airline named Jetblue. And during the flight one of the channels available onboard replayed that match. You know, it was surprising to see it again. And it left me absolutely sure that the match was actually fixed. The difference in class in this match was so vast, you could see that it is a superclass team skating against a very mediocre team. USSR could score at every attack they made, they were so fast, they were circling around Americans, toying with them. Yet they lost, conceding a goal almost each time Amercans crossed the centre line. There could be a lot of reasons to fix that match and I am pretty convinced that it could well be the case.

"the words “insane” and “insane person” and “lunatic” shall include every idiot, lunatic, insane person, and person non compos mentis" 1 U.S.C. §1

PLAY TENNIS!
Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:41 AM   #14
the cat

Come on ys! After my heartfelt reply, I was astonished to read that you think the Miracle On Ice game might have been fixed. Preposterous! Slava Fetisov says that loss still bothers him 22 years later! The USSR coach pulled the great Tretiak in that game. And that upset thr Soviet team a great deal. The coach panicked and the team lost to a very opprtune American team. That's how I will always look at it.

Who caoched that game for the USSR? Do you remember ys? Because I'm not sure if it was Tikhinov or not.

And if that game was fixed, why wasn't the gold medal game against Finland fixed? The Finns led by a goal going into the third period. The U.S. Team was fortunate not to have a letdown and let the gold medal slipaway. It almost happened!
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:54 AM   #15
country flag ys
Adrenaline junkie

Quote:
Slava Fetisov says that loss still bothers him 22 years later!
It is not necessary for every player to be involved in the fix. Defenders are the least important players in this case. You need keeper, and you need forwards to miss on their chances..

Quote:
Who caoched that game for the USSR?
Of course, it was Tikhonov. He took over Russian team in 1978.

Quote:
why wasn't the gold medal game against Finland fixed?
You can't fix the whole tournament. But you can fix the most important match. You see, it was indeed a Miracle. For that to happen I would expect Soviets to play poor. But they didn't. In fact, they were flying. For that to happen I would expect Americans to play way over their head. But they didn't too. They played that mediocre brand of hockey that they played all tournament. Kharlamov had no problems squeezing the puck between the feet of US defenders, but he was missing the open net. Tretiak looked like a rookie. Interesting, isn't it? Yes, they pulled Tretiak, but how do you know that it was not a part of the fix plan? You believe that Tikhonov, who never panicked, would panick against the team that his team was easily outskating? Something just didn't feel right. If you have a chance, watch it again. It is like if Venus Williams would lose to Panova. It could possibly happen, but not in the semis or finals of US Open.

PLAY TENNIS!