Harvard: what a change in just a year... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #1
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute
Harvard: what a change in just a year...

Last year at the same time Harvard was considered to be the top 10 team potentially with Litvak and Ko joining the team. And now both of them are gone (as I have predicted), this is one if the worst teams Harvard had in years.

What a fall...
Advertisement

Old Oct 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #2
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold
Re: Harvard: what a change in just a year...

They have a new head coach this year so maybe they will be able to turn things around. I don't remember where I read it (this was a couple years ago) but I got the impression that the girls on the team didn't like how things were run by the former head coach. Or at least they didn't agree with his methods. Between the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007, three girls left the team: Schnitter, Peterzan, and Stewart. Voila the former head coach is gone and all three girls are back on the team.

Ko either probably ran into eligibility issues and Litvak probably realized it was a mistake to go to Harvard. I imagine most girls have a hard time balancing both academics and sports. I do remember that one of the three girls that are back on the team left because they wanted to concentrate on studies.

I just noticed that former Florida Gator Julia Scaringe is in her first year as assisstant coach.
Tennisace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3
country flag tenn_ace

tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute tenn_ace has a reputation beyond repute

Not to mention the Irish girl they had. Else O'Ryan who would have been #1 ona team last year if Ko and Litvak weren't recruited.

I'm not sure why Ko would have any issues if the only few matches (other than ITA) she played last year is FedCup matches and there was no prize money for that.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:14 AM   #4
Tennisace

Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold Tennisace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn_ace View Post
Not to mention the Irish girl they had. Else O'Ryan who would have been #1 ona team last year if Ko and Litvak weren't recruited.

I'm not sure why Ko would have any issues if the only few matches (other than ITA) she played last year is FedCup matches and there was no prize money for that.
True. I only got that impression because in 2006 she only played a handful of dual matches, with her last match on 2/17/06.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #5
country flag ¤CharlDa¤
Team WTAworld

¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute ¤CharlDa¤ has a reputation beyond repute

I know Bibi Ko had trouble with the amount of training it included compared to also having time to focus on her academic path. She had to stop playing for a while, kinda lost her focus on tennis, and with all the nationality troubles she had in the past year, I think she just needed a good ol' break.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:27 PM   #6
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Litvak turn pro? Who was behind that misguided decision?
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #7
Tennisace

I've always wondered about Stella Sampras and the UCLA team. In the past she's had quite a few players leave her team: Daniela Bercek and Jackie Carleton (who both went on to transfer to Duke in consecutive years), Megan Bradley, Feriel Essenghir. From what I've read she runs a pretty tight ship. I can't remember if i was Carleton or Essenghir but basically they were having fun on the court and Stella got pissed. I'm sure that's not everything but when you have high caliber players leaving your team you have to wonder sometimes. Nina Yaftali also left that same year although it was probably due to the fact that she wasn't getting much playing time.

And I love how Miami always seems to pick up the transfer players (Bradley, Cohen, Emily Mowery, Romy Farah, Gina Sabatino) and that was just in the past few years. Granted Bradley and Cohen are from the area, its still quite funny that last year 4 of the 8 players on the team were transfers.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM   #8
Tennisace

Beier Ko is back. She's played two dual matches at the No. 1 spot unfortunately losing both.
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #9
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Does anyone have an explanation why the women's Ivy League teams seem to be under achieving?

For example Penn, Yale, Princeton & Harvard each have like 4 five star or better rated players on their team yet Penn is the highest ranked team at #65.

Here's a comparison. Princeton has 1 blue chip & 4 five star players and just got ranked recently at #71. Arizona State has 2 blue chips & 3 five stars in their line-up but they are ranked #14. Why such the disparity when talent wise Princeton on paper seems similar to Arizona State?

If those five star players are as good as tennisrecruiting.net ranks them to be then those 4 Ivy League teams should at least all be ranked in the top 40. For some reason recruits get to the Ivy League and don't produce according to their rankings. Ex. Penn's 2006 blue chip recruit Maria Anisimova has a losing record playing mostly #4 singles. What gives, a blue chip recruit losing to mostly 4 star players?
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 01:43 AM   #10
country flag tucker1989

tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute tucker1989 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that many of the highly-ranked players who play at Ivy League schools just aren't used to the academic rigors that they face. Many of the best high school players come from home or online school environments, so they are new to the intensive classroom academics of their new schools. With such a demanding academic schedule, it might be more difficult to develop as completely as a player.

That said, though, some of the highest ranking universities in the country in terms of academics, including Stanford, Cal, and Northwestern, seem to have found a way of striking a balance, allowing their recruits to develop as players and continue to achieve at the top collegiate level. So I'm not exactly sure what the answer is.
tucker1989 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 11:19 PM   #11
country flag jlk561

jlk561 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you take a look at Jr. tennis, there is a very large range in hours put in toward one's tennis. For example, one player may hit/lessons for 5 hours or more a day, while others may play 5 hours a week, if that. I do know of several players that do have full rides at top 20 schools that only put in 5 to 6 hours a week, yet had the raw talent to be ranked in the top 50 in the
18's. The players that put in more time may hit their peek during the juniors. Once they get to college, they are all on pretty much the same playing feild. I guess what I am saying is that the college players that have not put in as many hours during the juniors may not peek until their college years. I know of college players that worked out over 5 hours a day and didn't do anything but play tennis. As I watch those "Blue chip " players, they are not at the top now. On the other hand, as I watch girls that went to public schools, proms, sang in the choir, etc. are just starting to peek.
jlk561 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #12
country flag tenn_ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker1989 View Post
Didn't Litvak turn pro? Who was behind that misguided decision?

I have a hunch she'll be back to studying