Players faster running side to side than they are running forward? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM   #1
country flag Dani's Red Nose

Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light
Players faster running side to side than they are running forward?

Have you noticed how many players are faster at the back of the court, running, from side to side. Than they are running forwards.

It was very noticeable during the Tatiana Golovin versus Anna Chakvedatze match this afternoon. When both players were covering the back of the match the could reach much shots but when they had to move in a forward direction, say, to a drop shot, both were less mobile.

One more thing about this match. Both players were sweating profusely and Anna looked quite flushed. I’m guessing that the temperature is way too high.
Dani's Red Nose is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:38 PM   #2
country flag Donny

Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Players faster running side to side than they are running forward?

I think of it like this.

Strafing side to side is an unnatural activity- it's mostly learned. How well a player moves side to side has as much to do with training and practice as physical. Running forward, however, is a completely athletic talent.

The difference between how well two players can cover the baseline is always going to be much smaller than how well two players can sprint.

Also- the distance fro mbaseline to net is greater than from sideline to sideline. Of course you can cover the baseline better than you can reach a drop shot.
Donny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #3
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute

It's a women's thing.

No, I am serious.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:41 PM   #4
country flag The Daviator

The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute

Lindsay is someone who can move well side-to-side when she wants to, but forwards
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM   #5

Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light Dani's Red Nose is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDominique View Post
It's a women's thing.

No, I am serious.
You mean like, the way they throw the ball?
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM   #6
Olórin

Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute Olórin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnydarko View Post
I think of it like this.

Strafing side to side is an unnatural activity- it's mostly learned. How well a player moves side to side has as much to do with training and practice as physical. Running forward, however, is a completely athletic talent.

The difference between how well two players can cover the baseline is always going to be much smaller than how well two players can sprint.

Also- the distance fro mbaseline to net is greater than from sideline to sideline. Of course you can cover the baseline better than you can reach a drop shot.
Yes, I agree. Serena is always better moving forward, as she is naturally athletic and can sprint if she needs to. But side to side, she is at the moment fairly vulnerable. Imo, this is due to sloppy footwork as much as anything, and lack of match practice and general practice probably.
Olórin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:48 PM   #7

I was very interested by this today, so much so, I got a friend to mine to time me running. Firstly in a straight line, secondly, side to side.

***WARNING*** To other posters at home who might be contemplating reinacting the same scenario. I am quite athletic, so running came naturally to me. Any person who is unfit come harm themselves physically without the correct supervision.

So, the results were interesting. Running in a straight line, I was 0.98 seconds slower than I was, running cross court.
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:54 PM   #8
country flag John.
On a Timebomb!

John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daviator View Post
Lindsay is someone who can move well side-to-side when she wants to, but forwards
Lindsay and Mary Pierce were the 2 players I thought of when I saw this thread title
John. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:56 PM   #9
country flag supergrunt

supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute

Jusinte... it seems like whenever someone hits a drop shot or a drop volley she never gets it.
supergrunt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:17 PM   #10
country flag danieln1
VIP and The Cheesecake Factory

danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute danieln1 has a reputation beyond repute

Lindsay and Monica run better from side to side!

Ivanovic - Görges - Agnieszka - Li - Woz

Venus - Kvitova - Putintseva - Golden Flowers - Stosur - Stephens

that is so disrespectful.... so disrespectful!
danieln1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM   #11
country flag Tennisstar86

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

think about it like this.... Side ways.... you have wing span....going forward to also lose a little bit of time pushing off from the back... Not to mention most players are expecting to rally, not run up to get a drop shot.. so your either already leaning int he right direction or leaning so you push off of that side to get cross court. Really it just makes since. Think about it like this.... If you play tennis chances are you breath much harder when your forced to come into the net than when you move side to side. Which is why most people this days are just baseliners... as it takes less energy...
Tennisstar86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:38 PM   #12
country flag gaggleguy

gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnydarko View Post
I think of it like this.

its not totally correct

running forward to the net in tennis is also quite technical skill because you must also use proper footwork to prepare to hit the ball. But I agree its more about athletic ability than side to side.

Henin, Mauresmo, and Serena are all particlarly skilled in moving forward. Not a coincidence, that they are some of the top players. Chakvetadze and Janko are great movers side to side, but they have 1 dimenstional game because they dont move forward very well.
gaggleguy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:40 PM   #13
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergrunt View Post
Jusinte... it seems like whenever someone hits a drop shot or a drop volley she never gets it.
Yes Jusinte sucks
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:43 PM   #14
country flag Donny

Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencercarlos View Post
Yes Jusinte sucks
http://www.utexas.edu/nursing/nancy/...subjabcul.html

Quote:
Jusinte Chitsena, a 4-year-old from Laos, has an atrial septal defect which her doctors feels hould be repaired by surgery. Her mother is considering the operation but her grandmother is opposed.
What a horrible thing to say.
Donny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:56 PM   #15
country flag AcesHigh

AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute AcesHigh has a reputation beyond repute

Two different skills. Moving forward also takes shot recognition, proper footwork and good technique when striking the ball.

For example, Venus is probably the best on tour running side-to-side and she can also get to net quickly. HOWEVER, she is not very good when it's time to prepare for a stroke or when she meets the ball. Watch her try to come in to take a ball out of the air for a volley.. she could use some work on this as she usually continues to move forward rather than stopping, often causing the ball to go long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
AcesHigh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote