For all those worrying about whether Serena or Venus Qualifying - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:26 PM   #1
country flag karin1492

karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold karin1492 is a splendid one to behold
For all those worrying about whether Serena or Venus Qualifying

Don't. The rules for the race for the championships allows the WTA to arbitrarily choose who is the 8th player to qualify. That means that if Venus or Serena is 9th behind some other player (which I highly doubt will be the case), the WTA can disregard the race rankings and choose one of them for the 8th spot. This is similar to the ATP race that says if a winner of a Grand Slam doesn't automatically qualify by being in the top 8, if their ranking is in the top 20 they get the 8th spot and the person who is holding the 8th spot is out of luck. (This happened in 2004 with Gaston Gaudio, he got the 8th spot by virtue of winning the French Open that year.)

To be honest, both of them deserve to be in the YEC, because they won a Grand Slam this year. The WTA needs a similar rule to allow Grand Slam winners to be able to participate in the YEC.
Advertisement

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:27 PM   #2
country flag IceHock

IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute IceHock has a reputation beyond repute
Re: For all those worrying about whether Serena or Venus Qualifying

100 bucks they wouldn't do it
IceHock is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #3
country flag plantman

plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute

Not a chance........A player needs to earn the spot! Why else would they call it a "race"?
plantman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #4
country flag schorsch

schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute schorsch has a reputation beyond repute

that rule suckz... bad!!! real'bad !
Official Masseur of the Jelena Clinic
Djokovic, Davydenko, Tipsarevic, Wawrinka, Baghdatis, Gulbis, Troicki, Kyrgios
schorsch is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM   #5
country flag Equipped

Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future Equipped has a brilliant future

You're assuming that they both will play even if they qualify. Odds on whether both will actually play in Madrid? I'm guessing low.
AUSTRALIAN OPEN 2011
Seoul 2011 + Brisbane 2012 + Auckland 2012
Bogota 2012 + Kuala Lumpur 2013 + Dubai 2014
Equipped is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:42 PM   #6
country flag vwfan

vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute vwfan has a reputation beyond repute

the WTA doesn't have the balls, literally!
vwfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:55 PM   #7
UDACHi

UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute UDACHi has a reputation beyond repute

yes, just like 2005, right?
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:58 PM   #8
country flag IMPOSSIBLE
. . .

IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute IMPOSSIBLE has a reputation beyond repute

what ? whats the whole race idea for, why dont they just chose who they want. It's all about consitancy over the whole season !

Hope Daniela gets in

♠ Check Out > Sofia-Arvidsson.webs.com

♠ Follow > Sofia Arvidsson Twitter Fans
IMPOSSIBLE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM   #9
country flag friendsita

friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future friendsita has a brilliant future

GS' winners should be there.
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:07 PM   #10
country flag Donny

Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting.

In most of the other discussions about Venus and Serena qualifying, you have posters saying things like "If Daniela qualifies over Venus, then she deserves the spot" and "It's the rules, they should play more events."

Now, there seems to be an actual rule that would let Serena and Venus qualify over higherer ranked players, and now the "rules suck". Odd.

On the other hand, If this loophole really does exist, I don't think it should be used. The ATP's rule is one thing- but excluding someone from what might be the biggest event of the year based on personal choice seems wrong.
Donny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:09 PM   #11
country flag Serena!

Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of

Of course all the grand slam winners from that year should be there. AND the WTA obviously wants Venus and Serena there because they will attract so many more people to the tournament than if they werent there.

US99|FR02|WIM02|US02|AUS03|WIM03|AUS05
AUS07|US08|AUS09|WIM09|AUS10|WIM10|WIM12|USO12

Serena! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:13 PM   #12
country flag plantman

plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute plantman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendsita View Post
GS' winners should be there.
Yes your right........IF they've earned the points to get there! Justine's a good example!
plantman is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:23 PM   #13
country flag OsloErik

OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute OsloErik has a reputation beyond repute

I actually like that rule, although I'm now very curious to see whether they'd pick Sharapova over Hantuchova if that situation presented itself. Sharapova hasn't really won anything big this year, but she is a big-name player like it or not...interesting hypothetical.
OsloErik is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:24 PM   #14
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be pathetic if each of them won a major and didn't qualify among the other women anyway, especially since they have both played a full schedule by their standards.

This isn't going to happen though because they're both winning matches in the fall, which is something that hasn't happened in a long time.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 10:29 PM   #15
country flag Donny

Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute Donny has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by faboozadoo15 View Post
It would be pathetic if each of them won a major and didn't qualify among the other women anyway,

Quote:
especially since they have both played a full schedule by their standards.
Quote:
This isn't going to happen though because they're both winning matches in the fall, which is something that hasn't happened in a long time.
Three backhanded compliments in one paragraph. Impressive.
Donny is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote