Sally Peers - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How high can Sally Peers go?

Top 50 10 24.39%
Top 100 16 39.02%
Top 200 12 29.27%
Top 400 3 7.32%
Other (please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 12:58 AM   #46
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sally Peers' Fan Squad!!

^^^^
Yes, Sally has had a more successful junior career with the highlight being victory in the Junior Fed Cup last year. She played at No.2 on the team behind Holland and ahead of Rogowska. She was unbeaten all week, and scored some good wins.

All three are members of the AIS, but considering Peers is 18 months younger than Bai and almost 2 years younger than Starr, it is probably expected that she will achieve bigger things than the other two. All three are ranked pretty close together now.

If Sally can get at least one more good 25k result, it wouldn't surprise me if she got a main draw wildcard for the Australian Open.
Advertisement

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #47
country flag OZTENNIS

OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute OZTENNIS has a reputation beyond repute

$US25 000 Mount Gambier ITF Women's Circuit Event - Mount Gambier, AUS
Women's Singles, Qualifying Draw of 64
Representing Australia, Sally Peers, seeded 1

R1: BYE
R2: defeated Kate ANTOSIK (AUS) 6-1 6-2
R3: defeated Xin WEN (CHN) 7-6(5) 6-0

Women's Singles, Main Draw of 32
Representing Australia, Sally Peers, unseeded qualifier

R1: defeated Sacha JONES (NZL) (2) 3-6 6-4 6-2

Previous H2H:
Jones leads 3-0

2006 Oceania Closed ITF Junior Championships - Lautoka, FIJ
QF - Jones (1) def. Peers (5) 7-5 6-0

2006 $US25 000 Melbourne ITF Women's Circuit Event - Melbourne, AUS
QR32 - Jones (9) def. Peers 6-0 6-1

2008 $US25 000 Rockhampton ITF Women's Circuit Event - Rockhampton, AUS
QF - Jones (4) def. Peers (Q) 6-4 6-7(7) 6-4

Tough match for Sally, but judging by Olivia's 6-3 6-1 spanking of Jones last week, Sally can exorcise her demons and score the best win of her career here.
GOOD LUCK

If she loses, she will rise to between 501 and 504, but if she wins (added incentive) she will crack the top 500 and rank around 473 - 483

Last edited by OZTENNIS : Oct 17th, 2008 at 06:42 AM.
OZTENNIS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #48
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Sally, time to break the trend!
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 10:02 AM   #49
country flag OZTENNIS

And she has

Today she beat Jones 3-6 6-4 6-2 to progress through to the second round

Now she plays Robin Stephenson for the second time in three tournaments. Peers beat Stephenson 2-6 6-0 6-3 in the second round at Kawana, so fingers crossed for a repeat performance from Sally
If she can win for the second time in succession against Stephenson, Sally will rise from her current ranking of 513 to somewhere around 455

GOOD LUCK
Old Oct 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM   #50
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of
Re: Sally Peers

Good win there for Sally.
scottsue is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #51
country flag OZTENNIS

Sally PEERS (AUS) (Q) defeated Robin STEPHENSON (USA) 6-4 3-6 6-4

With this, Sally Peers will soar from No.513 to somewhere between 451 and 457. If she can make her first 25k semi final, Peers will climb even higher to somewhere around 429-430. And if she made the final (unlikely) she would be knocking on the door of the top 400.

Sally has made four 25k quarter finals this season, losing 6-2 6-3 to Adamczak in Berri, 6-4 6-7(4) 6-4 to Jones in Rockhampton and 6-3 6-2 to Zhou in Kawana. This is her best quarter final match up ever, so hopefully she can take the opportunity.

Johansson is in some good form (beating Holland and Prousis) but so is Sally. And Johansson should be carrying some mental baggage considering Sally beat her in Rockhampton, twice in the space of one week, a month ago. Peers won on both occassions 6-2 2-6 12-10 (at the 10k AMT) and 6-2 6-2 at the 25k ITF.

Regardless of the result, Sally has overtaken Emelyn Starr and Alison Bai and will become the Aussie No.10 In addition she will become the No.2 junior in Australia
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #52
country flag OZTENNIS

And what are you guys thinking about the all important Australian Open wildcards?

Sally has certainly put her hand up for an Australian Open wildcard. She is being consistent and producing good results against girls much older and higher ranked than herself. But, if there are only 5 wildcards on offer (providing the Asian wildcard is still on offer), who would you leave out. Gajdosova? Moore? Dokic? Adamczak? Holland? It is all really up to how Gajdosova goes in Taipei and Tokyo. If Gajdosova can somehow sneak into the main draw of the Open direct, Peers will get a wildcard and no one will get left out. Otherwise, I think Adamczak will be cut. She is not a member of the AIS, she is older than 23 (TA Youth Policy) and she has not backed up her Rockhampton win (unfortunately due to injury, but I doubt TA will see it that way). Gajdosova, Dokic and Moore will all get wildcards, and justly so. Holland will too (I think) because she is TA's new lovechild. And Peers may just get the final. For Adamczak's sake, fingers crossed Gajdosova gets in directly
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #53
country flag OZTENNIS

Sally PEERS (AUS) (Q) defeated Michaela JOHANSSON (SWE) 6-4 6-1

Such an easy win
Into the semi finals of a senior singles event for the first time in her career
Now she has to play Natalie Grandin. Virtually impossible (IMO) for her to win, but all the best, keep it competitive and congratulations on the best week of your career

If she can make the quarter finals in Port Pirie next week, she will be top 400
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 06:48 AM   #54
country flag Ben.

Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute Ben. has a reputation beyond repute

WD Sally every match win helps with her rise up the top. Hope she continues that rich vein of form
Ben. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #55
country flag OZTENNIS

FROM TA:

Peers hoping for first ITF final
Mt Gambier, 17 October 2008
Tennis Australia
Sally Peers in action at the City of Mt Gambier Blue Lake International.
Tennis Australia
Victorian Sally Peers has her sights set on her first ITF Pro Circuit final this week, making it through to the semifinals at the City of Mount Gambier Blue Lake International.
Standing in the way of the rampaging Peers will be South African left-hander and No.6 seed Natalie Grandin.
After defeating No.2 seed Sacha Jones (New Zealand) in the first round, Peers easily accounted for Swedish opponent Michaela Johansson in today’s quarterfinal match-up.
Peers raced to an early 5-1 lead in the first set before Johansson briefly staged a mini comeback. Seventeen-year-old Peers then closed the door on the first set, winning 6-4. In the second set it was all Peers, as she blitzed Johansson to claim a 6-4 6-1 victory in front of a parochial home crowd.
“I have played a lot of matches over the past couple of months and put in a lot of hard work, and I am feeling strong and confident as a result,” Peers said after her match.
“My ball striking has been clean and I am really looking forward to tomorrow’s match.”
In other results, Grandin set-up a semifinal showdown with Peers by winning in straight sets over Japanese No.4 seed Yurika Sema. The No.5 seed, I-Hsuan Hwang (Taipei) took advantage of a flat and tired Nicole Riner (Switzerland) winning in two.
British top seed Melanie South continued her march to the finals, defeating Japanese No.8 seed Shiho Hisamatsu and setting up a semifinal showdown with Hwang.
The semifinals will get under way at the Olympic Park Tennis Complex in Margaret Street, Mount Gambier from 11:00 am. Entry is free to the public.
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #56
country flag Keadz

Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seen Sally play before, can anybody describe her style of play to me? From the pictures I saw of her she used to look like quite a big girl, but in the picture I above she looks very fit.

DATE-KRUMM ERAKOVIC KUZNETSOVA BARTY SANDERS

ROGOWSKA ZAKOPALOVA PIRONKOVA JANKOVIC DELLACQUA
Keadz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 01:56 AM   #57
country flag OZTENNIS

^^^^
I wouldn't say that she was ever 'big' but I would say that now she has gotten taller, she looks a bit thinner (if that makes sense )

I saw her play in the Australian Open Junior Championships this year and she has a very nice game. Smooth, elegant technique with good, solid groundstrokes and she plays smart. She can hit a drop shot, she can hit a lob, she can slice. Not too many of the girls seem capable of that these days. I was just looking back through this thread and saw that Mana said she was basically a pusher a year or two ago and didn't go after her shots. Well seeing as she has been a member of the AIS all this year, they have obviously made some changes to her game (which I think started last year) and she hits out a lot more freely now. Still wouldn't hit the ball as hard as Moore, Holland or Rogowska, but she has more variety.

I also tipped her as a top 250/300 player. Seeing as she is now only a bit outside the top 400 (aged 17), I am now saying she can be, at least, top 150/200. Her form has been very impressive over the second half of the season. I think she still needs to develop her serve more and can still work on her footwork and movement around the court. She can become a very complete player
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #58
country flag Keadz

Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Good to see a different type of player coming out of Australia. Hopefully I will see her this year at the wild card play off.

Good luck to her today.

DATE-KRUMM ERAKOVIC KUZNETSOVA BARTY SANDERS

ROGOWSKA ZAKOPALOVA PIRONKOVA JANKOVIC DELLACQUA
Keadz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 02:19 AM   #59
country flag Dani12

Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute Dani12 has a reputation beyond repute

I can see her being like a Christina Wheeler player in the future, I have faith that Sally can crack the top 150, she is showing progress aswell as consistency in results this past few months which is very important and if she keeps heading in that direction I can see her being a good player. It is just a matter of her developing somesort of weapon to take the next step.

By the way congrats on making the semis, I hope she gives Grandin a good go and I think she will. Regardless I think Sally can crack the top 400 by the end of the year.
Dani12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #60
country flag OZTENNIS

Yes, I am so jealous of you Melbournians who get to watch the playoff every year
Would love to see Peers/Holland/Bai/Rogowska/Mirkovic/Hubacek et al facing off with Moore/Dokic/Adamczak/Wheeler/Kriz/Ferguson.
I think the playoff will be one of the best in the history of the event, this year