Tennis Forum banner

Andreea Mitu

175K views 2K replies 111 participants last post by  kiriosh. 
#1 · (Edited)
Born: 22.09.1991 in Bucharest
Residence: Bucharest
Height: 1.73 m
Weight: 53 kg
Singles rank: 500
Career-high singles rank: 500
Singles ITF titles: 1 - Galati 2007 (10K)
Singles ITF finals: 3 - Bucharest 2007 (10K), Pitesti 2007(10K), Brasov 2007(10K)

See less See more
#902 ·
I think it's goodbye Aussy Open MD now . :bigcry: . Withdrew from Zawada yesterday. Still on the list for Dubai but would need a Final and she can't get there injured.

Probably not a very 'small' injury, otherwise she wouldn't have withdrawn from the polish $25k ITF .:(

She should be seeded for qualifying now (might even make it as one of the top 8 seeds with a bit of luck), so it's not all bad. As long as the injury is fully healed by then, of course.

#903 ·
This is really late, but here's a translation of the feature the Romanian Tennis federation did on her a while back
http://www.frt.ro/ro/info_detalii/7424

Andreea Mitu – from quitting tennis to winning 5 trophies in just one summer

She won 6 trophies out of the 7 finals she played in this year and was ranked 136th –a career best. These days Andreea Mitu trains at the National Tennis Center in Bucharest for the other tournaments this season. She would like to make it on the Australian open main draw. However, on top of the glory-filled few months –that everyone congratulates her for- sits the first half of her year which dealt with injuries, rehab, sacrifices, uncertainty, giving up and responsibility.

"I started 2014 very badly, tendonitis in my shoulder that kept me far from my best form almost 7 months, from December through June. I wasn’t playing [much] and I my morale was fairly low. I had fallen to new lows, not just physically and psychologically, but also financially. I was in a downward spiral. That’s why in May before the French Open I said I would finish out the year and that would be it for [my] tennis [career]. Nothing was working. I didn’t know what was going on with me, what had happened. And in Paris I played badly. I played against Tamira Paszek and lost. Right after Roland Garos I played in a 25k in Germany. I lost the first match in less than 50 minutes. I packed my bags and went home even though I was still scheduled for doubles. That’s how I felt: that I didn’t want to stay and I had to come home. And home I went. I didn’t go to any training sessions. None. I was upset, demoralized and it was exactly the week before Wimbledon qualifiers. I said ‘That’s it! I’ve had enough! After this year, I’m quitting tennis!" she recalls.

In order to win extra money, at the beginning of the year she signed a contract with for a ’team even’ in Switzerland and Germany. Also thinking about staying afloat financially, she went to Wimbledon.
"That weekend I played for my team in Germany and then on Monday I flew to London. Qualifying started on Tuesday. I said I would go because there no first round taxes [not sure what this means], I’ll take my little paycheck and go back. I decided to play for fun, since it would be my last Wimbledon. Everything was very last-minute that I didn’t even have time to prepare for my match. I booked a room only for two days; I was relaxed, enjoying the match, atmosphere, each ball [played]. That’s how I won my first match. In Round 2, I had my bags with me at the club since I was sure I would lose. I knew I had a flight that evening and I would go home. I won from 0-3 in the third set and told myself : Wait a minute! What’s going on? This is my result in a GS, Round 3 in qualifying. I looked for a place to stay even though everything was almost fill and during that time it’s also expensive. I found something in the end and what do you know?! The next day I qualified for the main draw. I was thinking: what’s happening to me? I came here only to get the qualifying first round paycheck, being so sure I would lose and now I made it to the Wimbledon main draw…" she explains in one breath.

This moment was the spark that reignited the flame of self-belief. Since then things have changed drastically. She’s only lost 5 matches and she picked up 5 trophies from 6 finals played in 25k ITF tournaments: Denain (France), Darmstadt (Germany), Mamaia (Romania), Sofia (Bulgaria) and Podgorica (Montenegro), while in Dobrich (Bulgaria) she reached the finals.
Those who helped pick her up were her family, Cristi Onilă who went to each and every tournament with , Ionuț Gavrilă, the phsyio, but also Gabriel Poloni, who believed in her. "I would like to thank them for the help, but also coach Daniel Dobre and the team from Pescariu Sport & SPA with whom I’ve had a nice collaboration", she added.

Podgorica, a joke turned into reality
Each trophy won this year had its own dose of work, but the last one has a story all its own. A joke due to delayed luggage turned into subconscious ambition. “We had arrived Sunday from Bulgaria where I had played the final and Monday morning at 6 am we flew to Montenegro. I was so tired I had put everything in my [checked-in] luggage, the thermo bag with racquets, shoes. Everything! We had a stop-over in Istanbul for about 6 hours and I told myself I shouldn’t carry my bag for so long. We got to Montenegro, but not my bags. And Tuesday was my first round match. And since I didn’t have anything to train with, I went out with my boyfriend for a walk around the city. From one joke to the next he told me: How great would it be to win the tournament. Like this, without shoes nor equipment. The bags got in on Tuesday morning, two hours before my first match. I won the first round, even though I had not practiced on court at all and then I won the tournament,” adds Andreea.

With her results from the second half of the year, Andreea Mitu now has a new goal: to make on the Australian open main draw. In order to be sure she would be on the list, our player has to gather a few more points and rise in the rankings to close to 100th place. That’s why she will take part in two tournaments in France and Egypt, each for 25k and if need be, a 75k in Dubay and a 25k in Poland.

"I’m close to the top 100, but the hard part is just beginning." This time around, quitting is not an option. More so, she thought things out and changed coaches (she now works with Andrei Mlendea) and up until the lists close on December 23rd she needs to be among the first 112 players. For now this is the dream she work towards every day. And in order to remind herself of this, her Facebook page cover asks every time she opens it up “what have you done for your dream today?”

#1,201 ·
One of the most interesting stuff I have ever read regarding tennis .. Very touching especially the part about tough time last year and thinking to retire :) Hopefully good times will come for her , Thanks for giving us more information about Andreea :yeah:

P.S : She has a boyfriend :tears: :facepalm: :lol::lol:

#904 ·
:hug: hope she has some luck and climb more in rankings next year

#920 ·
:) perfect, good chance to enter on main list for AO

#927 ·
Will she have other opportunities gather some points so she can enter in MD Australian list?

#933 · (Edited)
So that's why she withdrew from Zawada, though winning the Polish ITF would have 99%+ guaranteed an AO MD spot , but oh well ... :rolleyes: .... maybe Roland Garros .

EDIT (24th Nov.) : MITU def CABEZA CANDELA 6-3 6-1

http://www.fft.fr/sites/default/fil...tennis_-_grenoble_tennis_j3_d1_dames_2015.pdf

EDIT (26th Nov.) : BEYGELZIMER def. MITU 6-2 2-6 7-5

Mitu/Desperrier def. Beygelzimer/Savchuk 6-3 6-4

http://www.fft.fr/sites/default/files/pdf/grenoble_tennis_-_st_germain_tpbv_j4_d1_dames_2015.pdf

EDIT (30th Nov.) : MITU def. LIM 6-0 6-2

Johansson/Lim def. Mitu/Desperrier 7-6(5) 6-2

http://www.fft.fr/sites/default/files/pdf/asptt_metz_-_grenoble_tennis_j5_d1_dames_2015.pdf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.