General Tennis Discussion - Non Sania - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #16
country flag ASP0315

ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future
Re: General Tennis Discussion - Non Sania

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniamania View Post
BTW, Lindsay's defeating JJ I think reinforces my argument. This gal is no.3 supposed to be on good form. She loses to a long past her best Lindsay just feeling her way in after a long break, that too after having a baby
Didn't lindsay lose to stosur last year in san diego immediatly after coming back from injury?
Bali's field is quite crap. Jelena played over 30 tournaments this year and probably fatigue got her. altough you must give a lot of cerdit to lindsay. Hantuchova is another error machine who rellies a lot on her serve. If she managed to outace lindsay she will win other lindsay is clear favorite now.

Last are hingis come out of retirement and just needs 6 months to get into top 10? i mean i admire martina hingis but it show lack of cometition in WTA.
Well i don't really see any atp player coming out of retirement and blasting thier way into top ten right away.(Altough Canas did manage to get inside top 20 after his drug suspension within 7 months.).
A few years ago michael stich made some comments about wta tennis. (a soon as martina navartilova defeated an ammateur 6-0 6-1 at wimby.)
Well i'm not fan of him but some of comments does make sense. he right about being womens tennis not competitive.(with the expeption some players.)
Flavia Penneta
# Brenda Schultz McCarthy # Elena Dementieva # Olga Govortsova # Marion Bartoli # Jelena Jankovic # Vera Zvonareva # Flavia Pennetta # Alla Kudryavtseva # Alisa Kleybanova
ASP0315 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:34 AM   #17
country flag saniamania

saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP0315 View Post
Didn't lindsay lose to stosur last year in san diego immediatly after coming back from injury?
Bali's field is quite crap. Jelena played over 30 tournaments this year and probably fatigue got her. altough you must give a lot of cerdit to lindsay. Hantuchova is another error machine who rellies a lot on her serve. If she managed to outace lindsay she will win other lindsay is clear favorite now.

Last are hingis come out of retirement and just needs 6 months to get into top 10? i mean i admire martina hingis but it show lack of cometition in WTA.
Well i don't really see any atp player coming out of retirement and blasting thier way into top ten right away.(Altough Canas did manage to get inside top 20 after his drug suspension within 7 months.).
A few years ago michael stich made some comments about wta tennis. (a soon as martina navartilova defeated an ammateur 6-0 6-1 at wimby.)
Well i'm not fan of him but some of comments does make sense. he right about being womens tennis not competitive.(with the expeption some players.)
Agree wholeheartedly with you ASP here, you have a nice point that Martina's quickfire return to top 10 does signify a lack of class at the very top. I agree with Stich here.
I am pretty sure if Steffi Graf comes out of retirement, shw would break into the top 5 in no time
saniamania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #18
country flag saniamania

saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by MArtinasaNIA View Post
@saniamania- I do agree with most of your posts but there are few points where I beg to differ.

1. With regard to Maria, so many people still dont give her credit for what she has achieved. Initially she was called one-GS wonder but now even after winning another(that too beating the BEST players in SF and F) GS, people are reluctant to give her credit. If you compare the records of all the Elite players(Justine, Williams sisters, Amelie, Sveta and Lindsay) for the last three years, you will see that Maria is second to none and has one of the best record in GS and is the most consistent player after Justine.

2. As for Top5 not being strong,say as in, 2001, IMO the main reason for that is that the Top players(Elite) players are not playing enough and taking time out for many reasons(both injuries as well as personal life). Venus and Serena dont play much 'cause of various reasons, Amelie suddenly took a long break, Kim retired suddenly and Lindsay also had to go for personal reasons. For me, this bunch of players, Justine, Maria, Lindsay, Amelie and Williams sisters comprises the TOP5-6 players. I will put these players in the Elite category and I think, maybe by just, you can add Sveta to these group of players 'cause she has done enough to deserve a place in the Top5 and has been pretty consistent through out the year. (I've not included Martina coz of her terrible form this season)

3. Among the Top10, I dont think JJ deserves the place in there esp No 2-3 ranking. She is good but not good enough to be ranked among the Top3-5 players of the world. She has been the most beneficial player coz of the absence of the elite stars and I give her full credit for taking advantage of their absence. Ana is good but has to go a long way before she can be graded in the same class as Elite Players. Anna is the one, I see, with huge potential and I think with a win or two or over Top players, I see her go a long way. For me, She is the most promising player of the lot.

P.S: Marion Bartoli and Daniela Hantuchova no way deserve a place in the Top10 rankings.
Hi martinasania, thanks for making some nice points. Yes, I am (or rather was ) a great fan of Martina, really liked how she used her brain and all-court game to lay bare the weaknesses of one-dimensional players. I think only Serena in 2003 can be compared to the way Martina dominated 1999. No one else ever did since then.

Regarding Masha, as you correctly said, opinions differ widely. Yes, given her age, she has done well, at 21 she has 2 slams. However, I am talking esepcially of women's tennis at this point, and her game is too prone to fall apart under pressure now. 2 years from now, if she can raise her game a notch, she may end up as a well deserved number 1 player, but as of today her game seems a notch below the top 3, especially since she changed her serve action.

The way I see Maria as of now, she has very little chance of winning a tourny if she has the misfortune to face Serena, Venus, Justine or Ivanovic. W sisters were clearly not at her best in 2006, yet they beat her with ridiculous ease at the slams.

Among the new talents, my horse is Ana Ivanovic. If she can work on her court movement, she can dominate with that serve and forehand.
Chakky does not seem to me have enough weapons to hurt the very best. Against the non-elite players, she is a handful though, as Sania found out this year
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #19
country flag Apoorv

Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute

@saniamania

I think ranking by average points like it used to be will not prompt players to play too much, game is too physical now, so they can rest a while between tournaments and we may see less injuries than now.

Sania Mirza

Elena Dementieva

Apoorv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #20
country flag Apoorv

Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute

Have you people seen the website of Kingfisher Open in Mumbai, its so much better than Sunfeast Open and both are managed by globosport. Similarly the website of ATP Chennai is much better than Bangalore Open. Why cant they put up better websites for WTA events?

Sania Mirza

Elena Dementieva

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #21
country flag ASP0315

ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoorv View Post
Have you people seen the website of Kingfisher Open in Mumbai, its so much better than Sunfeast Open and both are managed by globosport. Similarly the website of ATP Chennai is much better than Bangalore Open. Why cant they put up better websites for WTA events?
lack of sponsers for wta i guess. ATP always gets good amount of sponsers and television coverage.
Flavia Penneta
# Brenda Schultz McCarthy # Elena Dementieva # Olga Govortsova # Marion Bartoli # Jelena Jankovic # Vera Zvonareva # Flavia Pennetta # Alla Kudryavtseva # Alisa Kleybanova
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #22
country flag Apoorv

But a website is not that costly, these events in WTA can't even bring good players, sunfeast open's field sucks for third year in a row. Mumbai has a much better field, granted that it has more money but Bali is also a tier III like Kolkata, players here just never come back.

Sania Mirza

Elena Dementieva

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #23
country flag Mightymirza

Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute

well lets not compare with bali the whole place is like a tourist spot..Many players keep on going back just for that..While for kolkata,its a whole different story plus I think many players are just lazy to apply for indian visa as there are atmost 2 tournaments per year..They would rather just play in europe But usually thos who come to india keep on coiming back The hospitality is always amazing! (unless they have food poisioning which a lot of people had I think in past) Anyways I hope this changes in future..Actually my friend applied for indian visa and he had very bad experience with embassy.. so the cousulate isnt helping the cause either...

Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Myskina Safarova

When I have my goals set, I always attain them- Justine
Mightymirza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #24
country flag ASP0315

Quote:
Originally Posted by MArtinasaNIA View Post
@saniamania- I do agree with most of your posts but there are few points where I beg to differ.

1. With regard to Maria, so many people still dont give her credit for what she has achieved. Initially she was called one-GS wonder but now even after winning another(that too beating the BEST players in SF and F) GS, people are reluctant to give her credit. If you compare the records of all the Elite players(Justine, Williams sisters, Amelie, Sveta and Lindsay) for the last three years, you will see that Maria is second to none and has one of the best record in GS and is the most consistent player after Justine.

2. As for Top5 not being strong,say as in, 2001, IMO the main reason for that is that the Top players(Elite) players are not playing enough and taking time out for many reasons(both injuries as well as personal life). Venus and Serena dont play much 'cause of various reasons, Amelie suddenly took a long break, Kim retired suddenly and Lindsay also had to go for personal reasons. For me, this bunch of players, Justine, Maria, Lindsay, Amelie and Williams sisters comprises the TOP5-6 players. I will put these players in the Elite category and I think, maybe by just, you can add Sveta to these group of players 'cause she has done enough to deserve a place in the Top5 and has been pretty consistent through out the year. (I've not included Martina coz of her terrible form this season)

3. Among the Top10, I dont think JJ deserves the place in there esp No 2-3 ranking. She is good but not good enough to be ranked among the Top3-5 players of the world. She has been the most beneficial player coz of the absence of the elite stars and I give her full credit for taking advantage of their absence. Ana is good but has to go a long way before she can be graded in the same class as Elite Players. Anna is the one, I see, with huge potential and I think with a win or two or over Top players, I see her go a long way. For me, She is the most promising player of the lot.

P.S: Marion Bartoli and Daniela Hantuchova no way deserve a place in the Top10 rankings.
1) people are reluctant to give credit to they hate maria's on court antics and she always gets very easy draws. I don't like her as well. i do give her credit wimbledon and uso.(only i give her credit for defeating momo and justine.)
USO win was very easy compared to wimbledon's win.
but apart from that she got a lot cupcakes draws in GS.(expect for this year at wimby where she faced venus.)

Can you explain how can maria reach the australian open final and get her ass whopped by serena.(serena was barely at her best but still manages crush her. maria was world number one and got her ass kicked)
Same thing happened at French open she reaches semi-finals only to get thrashed by ivanovic.
At Wimbledon and out of form Venus comes and defeats her.

She does belong into top 5 category but certainly you can't compare her to williams, justine ,martina or lindsay.
Flavia Penneta
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #25
country flag ASP0315

Quote:
But a website is not that costly, these events in WTA can't even bring good players, sunfeast open's field sucks for third year in a row. Mumbai has a much better field, granted that it has more money but Bali is also a tier III like Kolkata, players here just never come back.
This is the best field sunfeast open ever got.(this field already better than cincinnati.)
Well sunfeast open field is not bad we have 2 top ten players and overall 4 players in top 40.(last year the second seed was ranked #55. i.e karolina sprem.)
I looked at Bali's field and apart from those top players rest if the field was like a challenger field.(players like morita,cirtea,julie ditty etc ) It doesn't really have any depth.
Bali spends shit loads of money to get top players . they are doing a very good job. hats off to them.They lured lindsay there.(that was very big risk. But it did work.)

Tennis isn't a popular sport in india and two top ten players are more than enough in this field.
Stadiums will be full beacuse of Sania Mirza. We don't really need too many top twenty players like bali. so mahesh is only bringing a few top players.
Flavia Penneta
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #26
country flag ASP0315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymirza View Post
well lets not compare with bali the whole place is like a tourist spot..Many players keep on going back just for that..While for kolkata,its a whole different story plus I think many players are just lazy to apply for indian visa as there are atmost 2 tournaments per year..They would rather just play in europe But usually thos who come to india keep on coiming back The hospitality is always amazing! (unless they have food poisioning which a lot of people had I think in past) Anyways I hope this changes in future..Actually my friend applied for indian visa and he had very bad experience with embassy.. so the cousulate isnt helping the cause either...

As far as i know only jelena kostanic tosic had food poisoning apart from that nobody complained about food poisoning. the hospitality is good. Although some whiny chinese players complained about the crowd. rest of the tournament is fine. I have been there to Kolkata a couple of times and yes i checked into a three star hotel in downtown and hotel food quality is excellent. and the staff were very friendly.
BTW i would definetely prefer to play in Asia.(not in dubai or qatar. I really hate how these damn fools treated our cricket team there.) than in europe. But USa tournaments are the first option those.

I love San Jose superfast indoor surface.
Flavia Penneta

Last edited by ASP0315 : Sep 17th, 2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #27
country flag saniamania

Quote:
@saniamania

I think ranking by average points like it used to be will not prompt players to play too much, game is too physical now, so they can rest a while between tournaments and we may see less injuries than now.
thanks. it is a nice point actually!
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #28
country flag saniamania

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP0315 View Post
1) people are reluctant to give credit to they hate maria's on court antics and she always gets very easy draws. I don't like her as well. i do give her credit wimbledon and uso.(only i give her credit for defeating momo and justine.)
USO win was very easy compared to wimbledon's win.
but apart from that she got a lot cupcakes draws in GS.(expect for this year at wimby where she faced venus.)

Can you explain how can maria reach the australian open final and get her ass whopped by serena.(serena was barely at her best but still manages crush her. maria was world number one and got her ass kicked)
Same thing happened at French open she reaches semi-finals only to get thrashed by ivanovic.
At Wimbledon and out of form Venus comes and defeats her.

She does belong into top 5 category but certainly you can't compare her to williams, justine ,martina or lindsay.
nice points, agreed
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #29
country flag Mightymirza

Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute

Well few months ago sharpy was much better than lindsey..Right now shes a variable too..The way she played against sania( esp the serve) it would be very hard for anyone else to beat her but then she plays a horrendous match against radwanska!! Shes going in kuznetsovas catagory now..She used to be so tough mentally usually

Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Myskina Safarova

When I have my goals set, I always attain them- Justine
Mightymirza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #30
country flag ASP0315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymirza View Post
Well few months ago sharpy was much better than lindsey..Right now shes a variable too..The way she played against sania( esp the serve) it would be very hard for anyone else to beat her but then she plays a horrendous match against radwanska!! Shes going in kuznetsovas catagory now..She used to be so tough mentally usually
She is juan carlos ferrero of wta tour.
Flavia Penneta