General Tennis Discussion - Non Sania - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #1
country flag Apoorv

Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute
General Tennis Discussion - Non Sania

Hey Guys, in the view of increasing discussion of other tennis players in our main thread Sania Mirza's Place, I have decided to make this new thread so that we can discuss about results and other players in this separate thread so that Sania's thread remains more focused on her only. Please cooperate.

Sania Mirza

Elena Dementieva

Apoorv is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #2
country flag Apoorv

Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute Apoorv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: General Tennis Discussion - Non Sania

I hope Mara defeats Anna in reverse singles.

Sania Mirza

Elena Dementieva

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #3
country flag rocksania

rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold rocksania is a splendid one to behold

well done apoorv.....

♥ ♥♥ ♥ Sania ♥ ♥♥ ♥
rocksania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #4
country flag Mightymirza

Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute

well thers no hope..I dont think italy would win this time

Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Myskina Safarova

When I have my goals set, I always attain them- Justine
Mightymirza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #5
country flag saniamania

saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light
Some observations after recent US Open

I would like to share some thoughts after the recent US Open, with you and have all of your views on that

1. The standard and the competition among players in the range 5-20 seeds has improved compared to say 5 years back. The pool of talent is bigger, with good players coming from China, India Israel. This is definitely good for tennis, and signifies it globalization.

2. However, the standard of the very top players, say top 5, seem to be less than say at 2001. Other than Serena, Venus and and Henin, I do not see any other players, who can be called great (legends) rather than very good (in this latter category falls Masha, Ana, Anna, Jelena). However, in 2001-02, other than the top form W's sisters, we had Hingis, Lindsay, Jennifer. The SF-s and finals at that time were of much higher quality than I have seen throughout this year (other than a few exceptions like V-Juju SF).

Henin seemed mentally and physically tired after defeating the two W's and was not at her best in the final, yet it was pathetically easy for her. Sveta was simply no match. I doubt if the same had happened if she had to come up against a Lindsay, Jennifer or Hingis of 2000 form.

Last time a player beat the two sisters was Hingis in AO 2001, but then she was beaten by Jennifer in 3 sets in the final. I would have expected the same would have happened to Juju, if she had faced similar competition. That is, I contend, Juju was successful where Martina of 2001 failed not because she is a better player than Martina AO 2001, but rather that she faced less competition than Martina AO 2001. If she was up against another player of Vee-Rena's class in the final, she would have lost (like Hingis did in AO 2001).

However, IMO, I have watched very well only from the QF-s of the other slams, only the USOpen I have watched from First Round. Maybe you guys who have watched more will disagree.

I just saw less qaulity tennis in the SF-s and finals this year than i used to see in 20002-2001, and hence this observation.

Comments please guys

Last edited by saniamania : Sep 15th, 2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling correction
saniamania is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #6
country flag Apoorv

I know Italy has no hope but I would like Chakvetadze to loose as she is now at the border of my hate list with all these matches against Sania.

Sania Mirza

Elena Dementieva

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #7
country flag Apoorv

I agree with what saniamania is saying. The top 5 are not that strong. Jankovic for example is a good player but her game to me atleast doesnt seem good enough to be a top 5. Ivanovic is a good player and in a couple of years to come she will be very good but right now she has to learn a lot, the consistancy is missing in today's top players. the talent is there but the game has become a lot more demanding so justine, williams sisters and may be Sharapova who I think are the only players deserving top slot and they get injured and lose their form. changing the ranking system might solve this problem.

Sania Mirza

Elena Dementieva

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #8
country flag ASP0315

ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future

shiavone din't play badly but mara played like crap. (i know mara isn't 100 % fit. but still.)
Game set championship Russia.
Flavia Penneta
# Brenda Schultz McCarthy # Elena Dementieva # Olga Govortsova # Marion Bartoli # Jelena Jankovic # Vera Zvonareva # Flavia Pennetta # Alla Kudryavtseva # Alisa Kleybanova
ASP0315 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #9
country flag Apoorv

Tommorow I will watch Hantuchova vs Davenport

Lindsay What a comeback!!!

Sania Mirza

Elena Dementieva

Old Sep 15th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #10
country flag ASP0315

ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future ASP0315 has a brilliant future
Re: Some observations after recent US Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniamania View Post
I would like to share some thoughts after the recent US Open, with you and have all of your views on that

1. The standard and the competition among players in the range 5-20 seeds has improved compared to say 5 years back. The pool of talent is bigger, with good players coming from China, India Israel. This is definitely good for tennis, and signifies it globalization.

2. However, the standard of the very top players, say top 5, seem to be less than say at 2001. Other than Serena, Venus and and Henin, I do not see any other players, who can be called great (legends) rather than very good (in this latter category falls Masha, Ana, Anna, Jelena). However, in 2001-02, other than the top form W's sisters, we had Hingis, Lindsay, Capriaty. The SF-s and finals at that time were of much higher quality than I have seen throughout this year (other than a few exceptions like V-Juju SF).

Henin seemed mentally and physically tired after defeating the two W's and was ntt at her best in the finslas, yet it was pathetically easy forher. Sveta was simply no match. I doubt if the same has happened if she had to come up against a Lindsay, Jennifer or Hingis of 2000 form. Last time a player beat the two sisters was Hingis was Marina in AO 2001, but then she was beaten by Jennifer in 3 sets in the final. I would have expected the same would have happened to Juju, if she had faced similar competition. That is, I contend, Juju was successful where Martian of 2001 failed not because she is a better player than Martina AO 2001, but rather that she faced less competition than Martina AO 2001. If she was up against another player of Vee-Rena's class in the final, she would have lost (like Hingis did in AO 2001).

However, IMO, I have watched very well only from the QF-s of the other slams, only the USOpen I have watched from First Round. Maybe you guys who have watched more will disagree.

I just saw less qaulity tennis in the SF-s anf finals this year than i used to see in 20002-2001, and hence this observation.

Comments please guys
agreed with your first two points.
Flavia Penneta
# Brenda Schultz McCarthy # Elena Dementieva # Olga Govortsova # Marion Bartoli # Jelena Jankovic # Vera Zvonareva # Flavia Pennetta # Alla Kudryavtseva # Alisa Kleybanova
ASP0315 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #11
country flag Mightymirza

Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute Mightymirza has a reputation beyond repute

justine henin is unaguably the most talented one right now..She has major issues with her nerves while leading though..I hope she wins wimbledon next year anyways I hope martina does some major damage controll here else a 2nd retirement isnt far away Anyways justine would have been ready for anyone in the final! Especially someone like capriati..Most prolly woulda streamrolled her.. I think the very good record again Sveta made her lose a bit of focus..

Martina Hingis Ana Ivanovic Myskina Safarova

When I have my goals set, I always attain them- Justine
Mightymirza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #12
country flag saniamania

saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light saniamania is a glorious beacon of light

[quote=Apoorv;11648164]I agree with what saniamania is saying. The top 5 are not that strong. Jankovic for example is a good player but her game to me atleast doesnt seem good enough to be a top 5. Ivanovic is a good player and in a couple of years to come she will be very good but right now she has to learn a lot, the consistancy is missing in today's top players. the talent is there but the game has become a lot more demanding so justine, williams sisters and may be Sharapova who I think are the only players deserving top slot and they get injured and lose their form. changing the ranking system might solve this problem.[/QUOTE]

Hi Apoorv, thanks for your views. Btw, could you plz explain how changing the ranking system would change matters? Not very sure now
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #13
country flag saniamania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightymirza View Post
justine henin is unaguably the most talented one right now..She has major issues with her nerves while leading though..I hope she wins wimbledon next year anyways I hope martina does some major damage controll here else a 2nd retirement isnt far away Anyways justine would have been ready for anyone in the final! Especially someone like capriati..Most prolly woulda streamrolled her.. I think the very good record again Sveta made her lose a bit of focus..
Hi Mighty maybe you are right about Justine.

However, my main point of contenstion is lack of top quality competition for top 3 now, compared to say 1999-2002. I was frankly disappointed with the SFs and finals this year. Compare this to say Graf-Hingis FO 1999, and you see what I mean.
Neither Venus nor Serena were at their best before Wimby or AO respectively, but they sailed through, winning the finals with remarkable ease. I wonder at the form and fitness they were in in the beginning of those tournaments, they would have won in 1999-2002
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #14
country flag saniamania

BTW, Lindsay's defeating JJ I think reinforces my argument. This gal is no.3 supposed to be on good form. She loses to a long past her best Lindsay just feeling her way in after a long break, that too after having a baby
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:47 AM   #15
country flag Cashif
Sports Freak

Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute Cashif has a reputation beyond repute

@saniamania- I do agree with most of your posts but there are few points where I beg to differ.

1. With regard to Maria, so many people still dont give her credit for what she has achieved. Initially she was called one-GS wonder but now even after winning another(that too beating the BEST players in SF and F) GS, people are reluctant to give her credit. If you compare the records of all the Elite players(Justine, Williams sisters, Amelie, Sveta and Lindsay) for the last three years, you will see that Maria is second to none and has one of the best record in GS and is the most consistent player after Justine.

2. As for Top5 not being strong,say as in, 2001, IMO the main reason for that is that the Top players(Elite) players are not playing enough and taking time out for many reasons(both injuries as well as personal life). Venus and Serena dont play much 'cause of various reasons, Amelie suddenly took a long break, Kim retired suddenly and Lindsay also had to go for personal reasons. For me, this bunch of players, Justine, Maria, Lindsay, Amelie and Williams sisters comprises the TOP5-6 players. I will put these players in the Elite category and I think, maybe by just, you can add Sveta to these group of players 'cause she has done enough to deserve a place in the Top5 and has been pretty consistent through out the year. (I've not included Martina coz of her terrible form this season)

3. Among the Top10, I dont think JJ deserves the place in there esp No 2-3 ranking. She is good but not good enough to be ranked among the Top3-5 players of the world. She has been the most beneficial player coz of the absence of the elite stars and I give her full credit for taking advantage of their absence. Ana is good but has to go a long way before she can be graded in the same class as Elite Players. Anna is the one, I see, with huge potential and I think with a win or two or over Top players, I see her go a long way. For me, She is the most promising player of the lot.

P.S: Marion Bartoli and Daniela Hantuchova no way deserve a place in the Top10 rankings.
Cashif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote