Bali is basically a meaningless tournament - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #1
country flag gaggleguy

gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all
Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

I think it should be remembered that when disscussing Davenport's comeback win over Jankovic. This a Tier 3 event the week after the US Open, its very anti-climactic and the WTA could just as well have a week off this week instead. Big name players like Davenport, Hantuchova, Jankovic, Schnyder are playing Bali for appearance money, not for points or prize $$. So it doesn't need to be blown out of proportion that Davenport made this "shocking" defeat of Jankovic. Anyway Jankovic plays 30 tournaments in a year, this counts nothing at all for her, it was like an exhibition. Even if she won the event, it still wouldn't go into her Best 17 total
gaggleguy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #2
country flag LindsayRulz

LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute LindsayRulz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bali is basically a meaningless tournament

:frustration?:
LindsayRulz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #3
country flag venus_rulez
Keepin That Tutty Fresh!

venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute

Granted, we need to have some perspective about Davenport's comeback at this point because there's zero pressure on her right now so that racquet can swing freely at the moment, But this 31 year old just had a baby and defeated the world's number 3. Lots of praise is in order.

I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #4
country flag Bruno71

Bruno71 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleguy View Post
I think it should be remembered that when disscussing Davenport's comeback win over Jankovic. This a Tier 3 event the week after the US Open, its very anti-climactic and the WTA could just as well have a week off this week instead. Big name players like Davenport, Hantuchova, Jankovic, Schnyder are playing Bali for appearance money, not for points or prize $$. So it doesn't need to be blown out of proportion that Davenport made this "shocking" defeat of Jankovic. Anyway Jankovic plays 30 tournaments in a year, this counts nothing at all for her, it was like an exhibition. Even if she won the event, it still wouldn't go into her Best 17 total
A win would've gone into JJ's best 17, albeit barely.

The point is that Lindsay's shown she can step back after long periods off and still play competitive, high-level tennis, and this isn't the first time she's done that either. She smoked a top 50 player in Daniilidou and then went on to beat world #3. It doesn't matter where it happens, when these women step on court they're not going to just hand anybody a win, and I don't think any of Lindsay's opponents did that. She shown she's still got it, and it's a huge step on her way back to the top 10 and beyond.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #5
country flag gaggleguy

gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all gaggleguy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno71 View Post
A win would've gone into JJ's best 17, albeit barely.

The point is that Lindsay's shown she can step back after long periods off and still play competitive, high-level tennis, and this isn't the first time she's done that either. She smoked a top 50 player in Daniilidou and then went on to beat world #3. It doesn't matter where it happens, when these women step on court they're not going to just hand anybody a win, and I don't think any of Lindsay's opponents did that. She shown she's still got it, and it's a huge step on her way back to the top 10 and beyond.

for me, Davenport's win over Danilidou is more impressive than the one over Jankovic, becuase Danilidou actually had something at stake
gaggleguy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #6
country flag LCS

LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute LCS has a reputation beyond repute

Haters...
W: (12) Australian Open (11) 50K Monzon, Toronto F: (12) Montreal (09) 25K Redding, Bali YEC (08) Memphis, Stanford, 100K Krakow SF: (13) Toronto (12) Estoril Open (09) Roland Garros, Stanford (08) Auckland, Rome, Eastbourne, New Haven
Doubles W: (11) Hobart (09) 25K Redding (08) Doha, Istanbul (07) Estoril Open F: (12) Pattaya, Roland Garros, Stanford (11) Guangzhou(08) Memphis, Wimbledon, New Haven (07) Bali SF: (11) Trnava (10) Stuttgart (08) Budapest (07)Birmingham, US Open QF: (12) Australian Open (11) Roland Garros
LCS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #7
country flag champGS1452

champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all champGS1452 is a name known to all

Oh please Davenport is better than Jankovic. Period.
champGS1452 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #8
country flag hurricanejeanne

hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute hurricanejeanne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_rulez View Post
Granted, we need to have some perspective about Davenport's comeback at this point because there's zero pressure on her right now so that racquet can swing freely at the moment, But this 31 year old just had a baby and defeated the world's number 3. Lots of praise is in order.
That pretty much covers it.
hurricanejeanne is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #9
country flag selking

selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute selking has a reputation beyond repute

oh what a sad person you are, maybe when you acheive what JJ or LD have then you can dimish what either did. Until then, shut it

selking is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #10
country flag The Daviator

The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute

It's a tier III, and it had a better field than most Tier IIIs, Lindsay won today, and had this event been a Tier I/II, she probably would have still won, stop demeaning their achievements, both women tried their best to win and Lindsay came out on top. End.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #11
country flag frontier

frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute frontier has a reputation beyond repute

It is meaningful otherwise we wont be talking about it.Lindsay has given it spotlight by being there,obviously all the players there feel its meaningful otherwise they wont have to fly half across the world to an earthquake prone locale.Jelena lost to an accoumplished player,lets move on.
frontier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #12
country flag Sally Struthers

Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute

I've come to consider all non-slam tournaments to be basically meaningless.
Sally Struthers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #13
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

i think these kind of results are meaningful! just imagine if davenport draws jj at the oz open next year she will go into thinking i beat her in my first tournament back, im fitter now i can win this! a win is a win and its always good to step on court knowing you can beat your oposition!

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #14
QUEENLINDSAY

QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future QUEENLINDSAY has a brilliant future

so that means Pan Facific in tokyo ( After AO) Eastbourne( After RG) and not sure what tournament is after wimbledon.

are all worthless??

Maybe, you are not worthy to be even a fan of tennis.

Monica,Kim,Jelena
QUEENLINDSAY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #15
country flag Sally Struthers

Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute Sally Struthers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENLINDSAY View Post
so that means Pan Facific in tokyo ( After AO) Eastbourne( After RG) and not sure what tournament is after wimbledon.

are all worthless??

Maybe, you are not worthy to be even a fan of tennis.
In the grand scheme of things, I think yes, as far as tennis history goes. No one remembers what you won other than the slams.
Sally Struthers is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote