Just in case there was Doubt that Women's tennis had Sunk into the Abyss... - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #1
Steffica Greles

Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute Steffica Greles has a reputation beyond repute
Just in case there was Doubt that Women's tennis had Sunk into the Abyss...

First of all, a great win from Lindsay. In numbers, she would not quite rest on the highest perch of all-time greats, but in terms of ability she most certainly does, and always did. So let's take nothing away from her.

But that cannot hide that this result was. not. meant. to. happen. The world number 3 is beaten by a player who has given birth and been away a year, in her first tournament back.

Any more evidence needed for the fools who REALLY think that the standard of women's tennis has shot up? Frankly, there's more gaps at the top of the game than there ever has been. What a sorry, sorry embarrassment for the women's game, and what an indicator of the mess women's tennis is in.
Steffica Greles is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #2
country flag cellophane

cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Just in case there was Doubt that Women's tennis had Sunk into the Abyss...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. It just means that Lindsay is a great player. Was it pathetic when Kim came back ranked in the hundreds after the injury and swept through Indian Wells and Miami? That's how good they are. That, and Jelena is tired, I'm sure. If lindsay came back to win the US Open, you would be right.

"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman
cellophane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
country flag Marcell

Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute Marcell has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is not an indication of the state of women's tennis. You have to understand that Jelena has played too much in my opinion.She has to be careful that she doesn't burn herself out.
Marcell is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #4
country flag Lunaris
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute Lunaris has a reputation beyond repute

One loss isn't an indication of anything. If your thread wasn't reactionary we could take it more seriously. But your opinion is based on the result of one match and that sucks.
Lunaris is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #5
country flag hectopascal

hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Jelena was not playing her best and was fatigued, as she has already said at the US Open. Davenport is a former #1 player, so she is no pushover. What about the sorry state of mens tennis, with #4 ranked Davydenko losing to a nobody in the first round of Bangkok?! Everybody has bad days, including top players.

Were you thinking about how women's tennis was going downhill after Seles made a remarkable comeback? I guess not, because top players will always regain their form if they are determined enough.
hectopascal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #6
country flag jujufreak

jujufreak has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffica Greles View Post
First of all, a great win from Lindsay. In numbers, she would not quite rest on the highest perch of all-time greats, but in terms of ability she most certainly does, and always did. So let's take nothing away from her.

But that cannot hide that this result was. not. meant. to. happen. The world number 3 is beaten by a player who has given birth and been away a year, in her first tournament back.

Any more evidence needed for the fools who REALLY think that the standard of women's tennis has shot up? Frankly, there's more gaps at the top of the game than there ever has been. What a sorry, sorry embarrassment for the women's game, and what an indicator of the mess women's tennis is in.
Agassi at 35-36 still beating most players, winning against Baghdatis, number eight in the world, having a messed up back, does that show the decline of men's tennis? I'm sure if Sampras wanted to come back, he'd still beat most of the players too.

Not every female player can achieve what Lindsay does, she's a champion.

I think women's tennis is better than let's say nine or ten years ago, when I became interested in the game
jujufreak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #7
country flag jujufreak

jujufreak has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectopascal View Post
Yes. Jelena was not playing her best and was fatigued, as she has already said at the US Open. Davenport is a former #1 player, so she is no pushover. What about the sorry state of mens tennis, with #4 ranked Davydenko losing to a nobody in the first round of Bangkok?! Everybody has bad days, including top players.

Were you thinking about how women's tennis was going downhill after Seles made a remarkable comeback? I guess not, because top players will always regain their form if they are determined enough.
I agree, but Cilic isn't a nobody
jujufreak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #8
country flag lindsayno1

lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future lindsayno1 has a brilliant future

What a load of crap. Davenport is one of the greatest female tennis players..period. Shes had a baby...it doesnt mean that shes lost her magic. Her ranking isnt a true reflection of anything. Jelena has played too much and was going to come up short at some point. She said herself before the match that shes exhausted and hasn't trained much. Jelena has done plenty this year to prove she is a top player. Shes beaten Sharapova, got to 2 grand slam semi finals for starters!

Jelena Jankovic
Mary Pierce MARTINA HINGIS! Kim Clijsters Ana Ivanovic
lindsayno1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #9
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. It just means that Lindsay is a great player. Was it pathetic when Kim came back ranked in the hundreds after the injury and swept through Indian Wells and Miami? That's how good they are. That, and Jelena is tired, I'm sure. If lindsay came back to win the US Open, you would be right.
Kim was playing in 2004, and reached a grand slam final.. more of a better example would be Hingis who cameback from 3 and a half years of abscense and beat most of the top 20 players.
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #10
country flag hectopascal

hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute hectopascal has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe...... sorry I had never heard of him before so just assumed he was low ranked!
hectopascal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #11
tennnisfannn

tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute tennnisfannn has a reputation beyond repute

And having a baby is not a disease or an injury, it does not cripple, it is only tme consuming and therefore Lindsay can hit her stride as long a she want to.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #12
country flag harloo

harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute harloo has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see anyone question why Canas defeated Federer two times this summer in Indian Wells and Miami. He was off the tour for years due to doping charges. Not one peep, but soon as Lindsay(a former #1 player/Multiple slam winner) beats the current #3 player in the world we hear this dribble about women's tennis.
harloo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM   #13
country flag JackFrost

JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It means, Lindsay is a great player and Jelena is not.
I like Jankovic a lot, but that was a number 3 not worthy.
To be honest...some of the current top 10 players ARE Top 10 players, because the real great player are missing and someone has to fill up the spots.
JackFrost is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #14
country flag JackFrost

JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute JackFrost has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If jelena is tired, then she should go to bed and spare us and herself with this kind of matches.
JackFrost is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #15
country flag The Daviator

The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute The Daviator has a reputation beyond repute

No offence to Jelenka (I'm a fan ) but Lindsay is a class above and should be winning this match-up, she's the type of player who can get back into the swing of things quick, she came back after a long lay-off in 2002 and made the semis of the US Open a few weeks later, she came back after foot surgery in 2004 and was winning titles left, right and centre, she has that natural ball-striking ability that makes her tough regardless...

So I think you can make an exception