Venus vs Hingis US Open 2000 Highlights - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #1
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute
Venus vs Hingis US Open 2000 Highlights

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance...s-usopen_sport

poor quality (the video) but good enough to appreciate how play two great players at their very peaks
Advertisement

Old Aug 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #2
Viktymise
King

Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute Viktymise has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Venus vs Hingis US Open 2000 Highlights

Some of the rallies in this match were outrageously good Venus was such a champion in the last few games Superb from the 2 of em.

I miss this kind of tennis, it was so exciting back then so frequently, and the rivalries were great too.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #3
country flag tennisboi

tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ▪lenavee▪ View Post
Some of the rallies in this match were outrageously good Venus was such a champion in the last few games Superb from the 2 of em.

I miss this kind of tennis, it was so exciting back then so frequently, and the rivalries were great too.
I miss the tennis from the early 00's it was great back then...it's so crap these days

98 US Open/99 Wimbledon/00 Australian Open
Atlanta 96 Singles Gold Medallist

Year end world number 1 98/01/04/05

Last edited by tennisboi : Aug 18th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.
tennisboi is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #4
country flag CanIGetAWhat
♥ All-American Reject

CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute

This is my No. 1 favorite match. Along with the '99 USO Hingis/V. Williams and '03 Henin/Capriati semifinals, these are the best three USO matches of the past 10 years.

CanIGetAWhat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #5
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

i think the game of the top players is the same than back then a peak vanus of that year can be a henin of todays and so on, non top players raised the overall bar though
girls from todays top 100 can beat any top 30-100 player of that year
injuries are the main problem these days
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #6
country flag tennisboi

tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute tennisboi has a reputation beyond repute

Venus should not have crossed to Hingis' side to celebrate that was just down right wrong

98 US Open/99 Wimbledon/00 Australian Open
Atlanta 96 Singles Gold Medallist

Year end world number 1 98/01/04/05
tennisboi is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #7
country flag CJ07

CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute CJ07 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, Hingis of '00 would beat most players today. She just kept trying to tweek too many things in her game. Anyone who says she can't handle power should watch her '01 OZ match against Serena, and for most recently her '06 match against Sharapova in Tokyo. She just questions herself too much.

And I agree, if anything play is worse at the top of the game. Its just all the other players got much better.
But I promise you Steffi Graf, Monica Seles (or even Navratilova for that matter) of early '90s would beat the Kuznetsova's of today with ease
CJ07 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #8
country flag Venus+Serena#1fan

Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold Venus+Serena#1fan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
if anything play is worse at the top of the game. Its just all the other players got much better.
But I promise you Steffi Graf, Monica Seles (or even Navratilova for that matter) of early '90s would beat the Kuznetsova's of today with ease
One can't make any such "promises" or guarantees because there is no way to know or prove it at all. The game has changed a bit, everyone moves better and is more powerful.
That is not to say that matches like this one and early 90's matches shouldn't be appreciated, the level is fantastic.
Venus+Serena#1fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #9
DA FOREHAND

DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute DA FOREHAND has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisboi View Post
Venus should not have crossed to Hingis' side to celebrate that was just down right wrong
LOL, after you lose you don't have a side! Winner takes all baby!

"And for the best of the teen-agers who followed her, and who occasionally referred to her as over the hill, Graf had a ready answer: against top-ranked Martina Hingis, Graf wound up 7-2. Graf's stirring 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 throttling of Hingis at the French Open final this June was perhaps the most emphatic parting shot the game has ever seen. "

DA FOREHAND is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #10
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

What's striking to me about that match is how far Hingis was playing inside the baseline. Compared to the post-2000 tactic virtually everyone used of keeping Hingis pinned behind the baseline, and running her from side to side. I think she's every bit as good a tennis player today, but people know how to play her now. And of course, there are even more power players than there were in 2000.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:54 PM   #11
country flag volta

volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute

this is like my all time fav match
and this is why i love the USO soooo much i mean look at the excitment of the crowd
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #12
country flag venus_rulez
Keepin That Tutty Fresh!

venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely fantastic match. I love at the end when she keeps saying, "Unbelievable. I know I know.' I love her so much.

I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #13
country flag Hingie

Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future Hingie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
What's striking to me about that match is how far Hingis was playing inside the baseline. Compared to the post-2000 tactic virtually everyone used of keeping Hingis pinned behind the baseline, and running her from side to side. I think she's every bit as good a tennis player today, but people know how to play her now. And of course, there are even more power players than there were in 2000.
I really miss this type of tennis.

And you're crazy if you think she's 'every bit as good a tennis player today'!

She hasn't even been playing at 60% of her capacity!
Hingie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #14
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

This is in my top 5 most memorable matches I've ever seen. The quality was amazing too. Hingis really gave that match her all up until 3-5 15-30
The most regarettable overhead of her career.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 03:02 AM   #15
country flag matthieu_tennis

matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold matthieu_tennis is a splendid one to behold

such a great quality match
matthieu_tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote