U.S. Open Womens Wildcards! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #1
country flag Wolverines08

Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of
U.S. Open Womens Wildcards!

Youth Movement on Display in Women’s US Open Wild Cards
Friday, August 17, 2007
By USTA

Other Recipients Include U.S. Fed Cup Hero Jamea Jackson, Audra Cohen and Ahsha Rolle

Lauren Albanese (Coral Springs, Fla.), Madison Brengle (Dover, Del.), Audra Cohen (Plantation, Fla.), Alexa Glatch (Newport Beach, Calif.), Jamea Jackson (Bradenton, Fla.), Ahsha Rolle (Miami Shores, Fla.), 2007 USTA Girls’ 18s champion Ashley Weinhold (Austin, Texas) and Australian Jessica Moore have been awarded women’s singles main draw wild card entries into the 2007 US Open Tennis Championships, which will be played August 27 – September 9 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y.

Both the men’s and women’s US Open singles champions will earn $1.4 million with the ability to earn an additional $1 million in bonus prize money (for a total $2.4 million potential payout) based on their performance in the US Open Series. In addition, both US Open singles champions will receive a new Lexus automobile.

All eight main draw wild card recipients are age 22 or younger.

Albanese, 17, is currently ranked No. 230. She earned a career-high No. 220 ranking after reaching the final at the Carson (Calif.) Challenger in July. Albanese earned a wild card into the 2006 US Open as the reigning USTA Girls’ 18s champion and reached the second round. In April, Albanese spent time as a junior player with the U.S. Fed Cup team in Delray Beach, Fla., and witnessed the U.S. defeat Belgium 5-0 in the quarterfinals.

Brengle, 17, is currently ranked No. 251. She has had a successful year on the junior circuit, reaching the girls’ singles final at both the Australian Open and Wimbledon and is currently ranked at a career-high No. 5 in the ITF world junior rankings. Brengle won her first professional singles title in 2005 and is a two-time finalist on the USTA Pro Circuit this season. She and Weinhold have been part of the USTA Player Development’s residential pilot program for nearly a year, training with USTA Coaches at the Evert Academy in Boca Raton, Fla. (The USTA will open its own training academy on the site in October.)

Cohen, 21, won the NCAA singles championship in May and decided to forgo her senior year at the University of Miami to turn pro. Cohen represented the U.S. at the Pan Am Games in July and finished fourth in doubles after losing the bronze medal match. The five-time All American won her first professional singles title in 2006 as an amateur while part of the USTA Summer Collegiate Team and reached the semifinals or better in three of four events while participating in the program.

Glatch, 17, is currently ranked No. 305. She won her second singles title in July at the $25,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in Southlake, Fla., and entered the WTA Tour event in Cincinnati the following week as a wild card. Glatch broke her right wrist and left elbow in an accident in November 2005 just months after reaching the finals of both the USTA Girls’ 18s and the US Open Girls’ championship and earning a career-high No. 5 ITF world junior ranking (October).

Jackson, 20, finished 2006 ranked inside the Top 50 for the first time in her career, but spent the first five months of 2007 rehabilitating from hip surgery. Currently ranked No. 202, she competed at both the French Open and Wimbledon and reached the quarterfinals at one event on the USTA Pro Circuit this season. In April 2006, at 19, she became the lowest-ranked player (at No. 75) to represent the United States in Fed Cup and led the U.S. Fed Cup team to a first round 3-2 upset over Germany and posted the biggest upset (by ranking) in U.S. Fed Cup history defeating world No. 14 Anna-Lena Groenefeld in the process.

Moore, 17, earned her wild card through a reciprocal agreement with Tennis Australia, which will grant a women’s main draw wild card into the 2008 Australian Open to a player designated by the USTA. She made her Grand Slam debut earlier this year at the Australian Open as a wild card and lost to Svetlana Kuznetsova in the first round.

Rolle, 22, is currently ranked No. 124 after reaching a career-high singles ranking of No. 110 in April. This season, Rolle qualified for the Australian Open and reached the third round of the WTA Tour event in Indian Wells as a wild card. She is also a two-time quarterfinalist on the USTA Pro Circuit in 2007.

Weinhold, 17, earned her wild card by winning the 2007 USTA Girls’ 18s National Championship last weekend in Berkeley, Calif. She did not lose a set in seven matches en route to the title and it was her second consecutive appearance in the final -- she was the runner-up to Albanese in 2006. Weinhold is currently ranked No. 407 in the world and won her first pro singles title at the $10,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in Southlake, Texas last year. Weinhold is one of two players in a USTA Player Development residential pilot program who train with USTA Coaches at the Evert Academy in Boca Raton, Fla.

In addition to the eight US Open women’s singles main draw wild cards, the USTA also announced the nine women who have been awarded wild card entries into the US Open Qualifying Tournament, which will be held August 21-24 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Players receiving US Open qualifying wild cards are: Hilary Barte (18, Newhall, Calif.), Violette Huck (19, France), Asia Muhammad (16, Las Vegas, Nev.), Lindsey Nelson (21, Villa Park, Calif.), Melanie Oudin (15, Marietta, Ga.), reigning US Open girls’ singles champion Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (16, Russia), Alison Riske (17, McMurray, Pa.), Anna Tatishvili (17, Georgia) and CoCo Vandeweghe (15, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif.).

The 2007 US Open will mark the culmination of the US Open Series, the six-week summer tennis season linking all major ATP and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour tournaments in North America to the US Open. The US Open is the highest annually-attended sporting event in the world. More than 95 million viewers watched the 2006 US Open on CBS Sports and USA Network, and international broadcasts reached more than 180 countries.

The 2007 US Open will be held Monday, August 27 through Sunday, September 9. Tickets for the 2007 US Open can be purchased four ways: 1) at usopen.org; 2) by calling Ticketmaster at 1-866-OPEN-TIX; 3) at all Ticketmaster outlets; or 4) at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center box office. American Express is the Official Card of the US Open.

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/art...359044812.html

To print this page, select "Print" from your browser's File menu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Youth Movement on Display in Women’s US Open Wild Cards
By USTA

Friday, August 17, 2007
Wolverines08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #2
country flag jonny84

jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute jonny84 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: U.S. Open Womens Wildcards!

Good to see Jamea getting one. Madison, Alexa and Ahsha were certains to get one as well. Hopefully one at least goes to the third round with their wildcard.
jonny84 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #3
country flag -sugi-

-sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute -sugi- has a reputation beyond repute

I wish Julie Ditty got one

IshizuMcHaleRiskeCrawford
CornetSchmiedlovaLepchenkoTakaoTatishviliLushkova
TanasugarnMiyamuraGonzalezAoyamaWatson
I miss Ai. Rebecca and Shinobu
-sugi- is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #4
country flag darkangel23

darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of darkangel23 has much to be proud of

Anna Tatishvili
Good luck to: Pironkova, Karatantcheva, Peng, Krajicek, Dushevina, Vesnina, Cetkovska, K&A Bondarenko, Oudin, Cornet, Tatishvili, Cibulkova, Olaru, Niculescu, Cirstea, Kleybanova, Larcher de Brito, Robson, Zahlavova Strycova, Rogowska, Marino... Would be even more...
In Loving Memory
M.Seles M.Hingis A.Myskina N.Vaidisova M.Pierce T.Golovin J.Hénin K.Clijsters
darkangel23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #5
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Jamea

~CASTANO~MEUSBURGER~SADIKOVIC~J.Cohen~
Drake1980 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #6
country flag woosey

woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute woosey has a reputation beyond repute

asia muhammad. i hope they show a bit of her match.
woosey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #7
pierce0415

pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute pierce0415 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the Chinese girls draw these WC in Q and MD
pierce0415 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Jem

Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future Jem has a brilliant future

Not too much to argue with here. I thought Julie Ditty would get one by virtue of being the biggest point winner on the USTA pro circuit. I thought that was the whole reason of having those point rankings. I know Jessica Kirkland has struggled a lot this year, but seems she should have got the wildcard over Tatisvili -- unless Anna is planning to play for the U.S. That's probably Chris Evert's influence that got the Georgian her wildcard.
Jem is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #9
country flag Wolverines08

Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosey View Post
asia muhammad. i hope they show a bit of her match.
I love her...Steffi & Andre are probably going to be there 2 support her!!! I can't wait!
Wolverines08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #10
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce0415 View Post
I hope the Chinese girls draw these WC in Q and MD
you want your Chinese girls to be sent packing by girls who haven't even made a dent on tour yet?

Have it your way
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote