Norma Baylon thread - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #1
country flag LegionArgentina

LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute
Norma Baylon thread

Well i creat this thread coz the other day i was talking with a friend and he met Norma Baylon.
For the ones who dont know she is considering the "mother of the argentian tennis"

She is in her 65? i guess but she is still working for tennis in Argentina specially for wheelchair tennis and she is really worried about the junior players who leave the school at the age of 12.13 and 14 years old only for play tennis and try to become a professional tennis player.

I have some interview of her where she explains why she left Argentina and lived in Peru for long time and why she is leaving in here again,etc. (it is in spanish)

Anybody remember her? Any story to share?

*Peng*Tanasurgarn*Vaisemberg*Duarte*Auroux*Martic* Rybarikova*
*Irigoyen*Botto*Ormaechea*Pella*Lucero*Pereira*

*Kurata*Gamiz*Perez*SaiSai Zheng*Errani*Ce*ForetzGacon*
*Furlanetto*CostaMelgar*Forte*AlvarezTeran*DuqueMa rino*

Last edited by LegionArgentina : Aug 5th, 2007 at 03:42 AM. Reason: age
LegionArgentina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #2
country flag preacherfan

preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all preacherfan is a name known to all
Re: Norma Baylon thread

Baylon played in the 60's so I don't think she is 80. She was ranked in or near the top ten during the mid-60's. her best surface was clay, of course. I remember that she beat Casals and Richey among others.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 03:45 AM   #3

LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i know that she played in the 60s i dont know why i wrote that number but the truth is that i could not find her date birth so i dont know her correct age. Probably more than 65.

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacherfan View Post
Baylon played in the 60's so I don't think she is 80. She was ranked in or near the top ten during the mid-60's. her best surface was clay, of course. I remember that she beat Casals and Richey among others.
Her best ranking was 5th place in 1966 and she best perfomance in a grand slam was in Roland Garros where she reached to the final

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #5
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion Argentina View Post
Her best ranking was 5th place in 1966 and she best perfomance in a grand slam was in Roland Garros where she reached to the final

The highest I have seen Norma ranked was #7 on Lance Tingay's list for 1966. Most other years she was among the players fighting for the #s 9 and 10 spots and usually just missed out.

Unfortunately she never made the French final. Her best performances at Slams were all quarter-finals - Wimbledon 1964, French 1965 and US 1965 and 1966.

Initially it looked as if she might rise to the very top of the women's game (i.e. top 5). In her first overseas tour in 1963 she took Ann Jones to 9-7 in the final set of their final at the British Hardcourt Championships having at one stage led 3-0 in that set.

She had victories over such players as Francoise Durr, Nancy Richey, Helga Schultze, Judy Tegart, Lesley Turner and a young Kerry Melville.

She became Mrs Puiggeros around 1967 or so and seemed to settle for a home life abandoning the international circuit. Her name mostly seems to crop up in South American events after this. Maybe she felt that she had gone as far as could? (top 10) and didn't feel she could go any higher.

It seems to me that she had the talent to have achieved more on clay - at least a semi at RG.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris whiteside View Post
The highest I have seen Norma ranked was #7 on Lance Tingay's list for 1966. Most other years she was among the players fighting for the #s 9 and 10 spots and usually just missed out.

Unfortunately she never made the French final. Her best performances at Slams were all quarter-finals - Wimbledon 1964, French 1965 and US 1965 and 1966.

Initially it looked as if she might rise to the very top of the women's game (i.e. top 5). In her first overseas tour in 1963 she took Ann Jones to 9-7 in the final set of their final at the British Hardcourt Championships having at one stage led 3-0 in that set.

She had victories over such players as Francoise Durr, Nancy Richey, Helga Schultze, Judy Tegart, Lesley Turner and a young Kerry Melville.

She became Mrs Puiggeros around 1967 or so and seemed to settle for a home life abandoning the international circuit. Her name mostly seems to crop up in South American events after this. Maybe she felt that she had gone as far as could? (top 10) and didn't feel she could go any higher.

It seems to me that she had the talent to have achieved more on clay - at least a semi at RG.
Well acording for what you wrote about her ranking , the same Norma Baylon explain for herself
QUESTION:La historia te da como la 7ma. jugadora del mundo en 1965. Fue así?(the same as you said that the history have you like the 7 best player in the world in 1965, is that right ask?

Norma reply:El año fue 1966; en esa época, no había computación, y los rankings los hacían a fin de año, realizando un promedio de los mejores torneos; y había uno que lo hacían todos los periodistas europeos, y otro hecho por los americanos. Yo fui 4ta. en uno y 5ta. en el otro. (Not i was high than that. She said that they have not computers and that the rankings where made taking the % of the best tournaments.They were to groups one make it for the european and the other make it for the american.For the european she was 4th and for the american she was 5th in 1966.)

She left tennis not coz she tought that she couldnt reached further. She left tennis coz she has 3 kids and she wanna stay at home with them in Peru.

Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #7
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I found on Norma a couple of years back:

I found this whilst searching for Edda Buding info: its about Norma Baylon, Argentine star of the 1960s. Can anyone translate Spanish? I can't read Spanish so I'm guessing part of it says she now lives in Peru since getting married in 1967.

It reads like a long interview full of memories about tennis past and present.

http://www.aplenotenis.com.ar/baylon1.htm

http://www.aplenotenis.com.ar/baylon2.htm
http://www.aplenotenis.com.ar/baylon3.htm

on up to baylon 9!

Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #8
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to hear she is doing so much for wheelchair tennis.

If I ever have time I'll try and scan some pics-Norma was very masculine looking in her younger days-in one pic she might be mistaken for a boy because her hair is so short.

She wasn't exactly the first Argentine female star. Maria Teran Weiss (1940s-1950s) made the quarters of the French and one or two top ten lists. She was best known as a friend of First Lady Eva Peron.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #9
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Very interesting thread about someone not much remembered not even here. I'll try to tranlate the interview later, I have no time now, for any who might care
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee

Last edited by gabybackhand : Aug 10th, 2007 at 09:48 PM.
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #10
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
Very interesting thread for someone not much remembered not even here. I'll try to tranlate the interview later, I have no time now, for any who might care
That would be great, Gabybackhand.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #11
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Very interesting thread for someone not much remembered not even here. I'll try to tranlate the interview later, I have no time now, for any who might care
We would be most grateful! Julie Heldman did a piece on Norma during the late 60s that I'll try and post too.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:28 PM   #12
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

I like hearing more about these good players rather than just the 'same old' about certain others.

Although mainly renowned as a clay courter (French Doubles final 1964 and a number of South American titles) with a very limited career, Norma adapted to grass better than many.

She did ok during a couple of Aussie seasons she played in the mid-sixties and gave Billie-Jean a real hard time on American grass in the Fed Cup of 1964 (1012 79 tough game).

More more!
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 04:41 AM   #13
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
Very interesting thread about someone not much remembered not even here. I'll try to tranlate the interview later, I have no time now, for any who might care
Bump.

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #14
country flag FiBeR

FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of FiBeR has much to be proud of

I am going to Interview Norma Bylon around the 21-22 april (Fed Cup weekend) so any questions for her will come handy.

What do you want to know about her??

PM if you want something specifically. I will check this thread later
Singles:WMemphis,Fes,Barcelona,SF Rosmalen, Istambul
CH Singles:WOpole, SF Belfort
Doubles(w/Hotzenplotz):WWimbledon,Indian Wells,Moscow,Fes,F Istambul,Silver Medalist Beijing (w/manu86) SF YEC Doha
CH Doubles(w/Hotzenplotz):WLas Vegas,Waikoloa,Perth,Sorrento,F Dothan,WSan Diego,F Opole
FiBeR is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:10 PM   #15
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Sorry I didn't see this earlier-I would have many questions to feed you.

How was your interview Fiber?