The Steffi and Monica are Evil Cows From Hell Thread. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #1
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold
The Steffi and Monica are Evil Cows From Hell Thread.

Sorry about that title, just wanted to see how many folks I could drag into this thread, just for the heck of it. AND, I just wanted to take hingis-seles' excellent recent message on the subject just a small step further.....

In all seriousness now, and I truly would NEVER tell Rollo and the Moderators what to do here, as they do an incredible job.....but I just want to squeak in my vote that I WISH we could ban all Seles/Graf debates from BFTP. It's so funny how a few of us (including of course nelslus- Miss Manners I ain't) have gotten into spats here now and then.....AND now this all seems comparatively tame compared to the lovelies I see posted in the Monica/Steffi love-fest thread.

I just wish that all these folks who insist on attacking each other would just go back to the rest of WTA World-land where apparently this silliness is acceptable if not encouraged- and why I never check out the rest of WTA World anymore.

I mean, most of us BFTP nerds are (understatement alert) PASSIONATE defenders of our favorites and bashers of our not-so-favorites- BUT WE ALSO SOMEHOW MANAGE TO GET ALONG. (at least for the most part) And IMO it is deeply unpleasant for folks in BFTP-land to keep attacking each other. (It ALMOST makes me want to go and hug Justine.)

I totally respect (to say the least) why Rollo put these Seles/Graf debates into a separate thread and all......Just wish I didn't have to keep seeing this Monica/Steffi thread pop up OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Just wish this all could at least be sent somewhere else, such as a BFTP dungeon page or something.

i.e., COULD WE ALL PLEASE JUST GET ALONG?!?!?
Advertisement

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #2
country flag Borat72

Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: The Steffi and Monica are Evil Cows From Hell Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
In all seriousness now, and I truly would NEVER tell Rollo and the Moderators what to do here, as they do an incredible job.....but I just want to squeak in my vote that I WISH we could ban all Seles/Graf debates from BFTP. It's so funny how a few of us (including of course nelslus- Miss Manners I ain't) have gotten into spats here now and then.....AND now this all seems comparatively tame compared to the lovelies I see posted in the Monica/Steffi love-fest thread.
Ban those debates?
Even in the hilarious "Graf, Seles and all that Jazz" thread??
Borat72 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #3
country flag LDVTennis

LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future LDVTennis has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelslus View Post
I totally respect (to say the least) why Rollo put these Seles/Graf debates into a separate thread and all......Just wish I didn't have to keep seeing this Monica/Steffi thread pop up OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Just wish this all could at least be sent somewhere else, such as a BFTP dungeon page or something.
No one is forcing you to read it, the thread or even the title to the thread.

So, what's with all the drama? Just ignore it.
Steffi Graf was part of a youth tennis group that was studied from age 12 and then followed, and the scientists called her "the perfect talent" even then. In addition to her many tennis-specific skills, her aerobic capacity was on par with the best distance runners in Europe. --- David Epstein, The Sports Gene
LDVTennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM   #4
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

I like the idea of a "Dungeon" page! Hehehe... I'm sure that some would have bannished some of my CE comments there too, but whatever, I had to state my true opinions regardless of what others think. !

But the constant Graf/Seles threads with the same conversations are redundant. Few people add new information, articles, interviews, etc to support their opinions and make them more interesting for the rest of us. In addition to BFTP, there is also a Graf v Court -- who is greater -- going over in Gen Pop right now (although, I've not checked it in a few days). It too slid into Graf v Seles for a few.

The GOAT argument gets old, and for me is based on nothing but others personal opinions and prejudices. Why not instead honor each of the players instead of always having to assign one as being better than the rest? At the very least, post articles and information that the rest of us could consider in the argument. That's what I appreciate the most about the board (especially the Blast).

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #5
country flag nelslus
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold nelslus is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDVTennis View Post
No one is forcing you to read it, the thread or even the title to the thread.

So, what's with all the drama? Just ignore it.
OH, NOW, as if you and all of us don't just get irrationally cranky now and then. (.....or is that rationally?) Harumph, I say.

Besides, why ignore when it WAS fun under these circumstances just to write out "The Steffi and Monica are Evil Cows From Hell Thread." And I actually do love Monica, so go figure.

I still just wish this all would go somewhere else is all I'm sayin'. ANd, if I'm alone with this wish (or just a duo so far with OrdinaryfoolisNJ), so be it.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

i just about had a cow when I read your thread title Nelslus-HOW DARE YOU-make me laugh like that

I sympathize with you, I "feel your pain".

What I don't have is an easy answer. 5 years ago I may have hoped that some of the posters involved would naturally graduate from acne and childhood to adulthood, but by now Calimero and Athena and their ilk are well into their twenties at least.

As we all know they can't be reasoned with. With every post Monica and Steffi's stars dim just a little-those you never knew them might read these threads and think they were just whining cows from hell.

The one thread solution has worked best IMO-as long as they keep end of the bargain I'll keep mine.

In the meantime though this is good thread to talk about it.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 10:28 PM   #7
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

I love your thread, too bad that old fart had to come along again and post on it.
Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #8
country flag Borat72

Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light Borat72 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorroger View Post
I love your thread, too bad that old fart had to come along again and post on it.

You are a little bit harsh with this Rollo dude ...
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #9
country flag Borat72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
i just about had a cow when I read your thread title Nelslus-HOW DARE YOU-make me laugh like that

What I don't have is an easy answer. 5 years ago I may have hoped that some of the posters involved would naturally graduate from acne and childhood to adulthood, but by now Calimero and Athena and their ilk are well into their twenties at least.

As we all know they can't be reasoned with. With every post Monica and Steffi's stars dim just a little-those you never knew them might read these threads and think they were just whining cows from hell.

The one thread solution has worked best IMO-as long as they keep end of the bargain I'll keep mine.

Who are "Calimero" and "Athena"?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 09:34 AM   #10

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat72 View Post
You are a little bit harsh with this Rollo dude ...

What do you mean? I don't mean Rollo at all.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #11
country flag Borat72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorroger View Post
What do you mean? I don't mean Rollo at all.

Sorry!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat72 View Post
Sorry!
No problem.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #13
country flag Robert1

Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light Robert1 is a glorious beacon of light

Rollo, haven't you realized that Calimero and Borat are the same guy? Kick him out of the board again, and the thread becomes more peaceful again...
Robert1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #14
country flag Borat72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
Rollo, haven't you realized that Calimero and Borat are the same guy? Kick him out of the board again, and the thread becomes more peaceful again...

Nice, how some people reveal their true character ....

BTW, I'm not "Calimero". I didn't even know that he is so well-known here. I have read a lot from this guy in the usenet's "rec.sport.misc" group. He is German, too, knows a lot about Graf and tennis in general, works with the German tennis federation as far as I know, and is fun.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #15
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

As Nelslus wants to see how many he can drag into this thread I may as well tick the box.

I fully appreciate his frustration at events. I was actually pleasantly surprised that the recent 10 Best Liked and Hated Thread took so long to reach the inevitable Graf v Seles war of words. We've had a relatively long trouble free period recently. What pisses me off is when an otherwise interesting thead, such as the aforementioned which made great reading and giving an insight into how various members saw different sides to players' personalities, and moreover even those which logically was a million miles away from the tired old Steffi/Monica axis regularly turned into the same old slanging match.

The frequency with which this was happening would have pre-dated OrdinaryfoolsNJ and maybe Nelslus as well? I can remember an excellent thread from Preacherfan as to what might have transpired during 1993/95 into which a lot of time and research had been put, having to be pulled.

However, I'd have to say that the action Rollo took was a fair and correct one. If it was me, I would ban ALL mention of the events of 1993 from any other thread except the designated one. Anyone transgresses, one warning, if ignored, an immediate debarrment, but that's just my opinion. Rollo has mentioned Calimero and Athena but there were/are a number of others who are were/are just as culpable.

So, there's one thread on the Board covering it. All anyone who wishes has to do is just ignore it. If you want, you can read it and even respond if you're so moved.

Some of the recent posting is so pathetic it's actually quite funny. Probably wrong, but I wouldn't even be surprised if a couple of the posters in "opposing" camps as the minute are actually the same person!