When did you first become a Venus fan? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:34 AM   #1
country flag Williams Rulez
Team WTAworld

Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute Williams Rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Question When did you first become a Venus fan?

I was never really into tennis until by accident really...

In 2000, I was watching the Olympics and I happened to tune in to the tennis finals, and I decided to watch. I saw Venus in the finals. She was truly stunning, so tall and beautiful. Then I saw grace and confidence in her. She looked like a champion before the match started. I was thinking... who is this girl?

The more I watched, the more I liked it. I could see Venus reading her little notes during the change overs and then she was always so calm no matter what happened. There was just so much happening for me... that was the first tennis match I had watched I think. Even though I couldn't remember much of the tennis there, I was awed by Venus and many things ran through my mind at that time. I became a Venus fan from then on, and never looked back.

Venus is also the reason I love tennis so much now, so I really gotta thank her for bringing me into this lovely sport.

What aobut you guys? What was it like?

Mary : Monica : Svetlana : Sania : Jennifer : Amelie
Roddick : Grosjean : David : Djokovic
Williams Rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:22 AM   #2
country flag CanIGetAWhat
♥ All-American Reject

CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute CanIGetAWhat has a reputation beyond repute
first time i became a fan of tennis and of Venus was waaay back in 1997 at the US Open during the Venus/Irina semifinal match. back then, i never was that interested in tennis, but watching the crowd go wild and crazy for Venus was exciting, and the infamous bump just added more drama to the match. prior to this, i always had this perception that tennis was dull and boring. if it hadn't been for Venus, i wouldn't have became a fan of tennis and of her sister

CanIGetAWhat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:51 PM   #3
QueenO

QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice
1997 US OPeN....

I was and still am a big Steffi fan but; I saw Venus in that Irina semifinal match. From that day on I was a Venus fan.
QueenO is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:59 PM   #4
country flag Venus_Serena

Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all
Wimbledon 2000

When she beat, for the first time in a grand slam event, Martina Hingis 6/4 in the third set ! After this victory, I was convinced that she would become a legend in tennis history ....
Venus_Serena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:34 PM   #5
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
The first time I saw Venus play was against Magdalena Grzyboska at Wimbledon 1st round 1997. Before that I've only ever seen pictures of her and Serena and read about how Richard had coached them and that they were the next big stars in womens' tennis. I remember during that match the commentators went on and on about how Richard predicted his daughters would win Wimbledon one day. I mean Venus was making her debut there. She lost that match I can't remember the score but it was a long one.

It was shock what she did just two months later. I never saw that coming
Sam L is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:58 PM   #6
QueenO

QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice QueenO is just really nice
You know I'm more of a fan of Venus now more than ever. Even through these hard losses she has had of late. The women is still a true champion with style, grace and beauty .She has handled her self so well. It will not be long before she is on top again
QueenO is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:47 PM   #7
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation
What QueenO said... I resisted her in the very beginning, because I wanted her to produce results first. Anyway, I was posting on the aol boards way back in 1997 and let me tell ya--- the haters there literally forced me to embrace her.. I just couldn't believe how people could hate someone they did not know so much.. Oh well, I am a fan forever--nothing or no one can change that :P

Go Venus!!!
Infiniti2001 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2002, 04:13 PM   #8
country flag Venus_Serena

Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all Venus_Serena is a name known to all
Sam L

Venus lost to Magdalena Grzybowska ( 6-4 2-6 4-6 )
Wimbledon 1 round !
Venus_Serena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2002, 04:22 AM   #9
country flag RYNJ

RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute RYNJ has a reputation beyond repute
I became a Venus fanatic at 2000 Wimbledon. She was playing Martina Hingis, I dunno something bl;ew away when I saw her. I think it was because I can see in her eyes in that match that she was really focused and determind. I CAN STILL REMEMBER OH SO WELL, the commentators were saying "Venus Williams has never won a match VS Hingis when Hingis wins the first set" I was like NOOOO don't lose. Then when she hit the ace at match point I was like OMG how cool is this. THen they showed S. Williams, then I was like whose S. Williams, then I was like OMG she has a sister. But still im a bigger fan of venus. In the finals it was weird I woke up so early, they showed Lindsay I had no idea what her name was back then. So I was kind of like "C'Mon Venus beat that chick" Then when she finallyw on I was just in AWE. I was so happy. And Ever since Ive been a Venus lover. VENUS IS MY NUMBER ONE!!!!!!1

RYNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:26 PM   #10
moon

moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute moon has a reputation beyond repute
I guess it was the Spirlea match in 1997 when I first became interested too. I had heard about the infamous NY Times article before that, but didn't pay too much attention to it. Anyway, after she beat Spirlea I watched the final, and although I was disappointed at how she got dismantled by Hingis, I still liked her. I watched her a little in 98, and early 99, and by the end of the year I was completely hooked. It was because of Venus that I looked for and found a tennis board at the end of 99/beginning of 2000.
Old Jul 13th, 2002, 10:07 PM   #11
country flag jean_genie

jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute jean_genie has a reputation beyond repute
I remember reading a NY Times article about her when she was only maybe 10 years old--really small but focused article and then when she was about 14 years old, I saw she and Richard on Sixty Minutes where they profiled her as a prodigy. I played tennis as a teenager and then in college so I followed tennis all along but had not watched much in those years. I first saw her play in the 97 USOpen (Spirlea match )and was hooked from then on. I saw all the raw talent that had been commented on and knew that with a little time, she would become dominant. It was so obvious.
When she lost to Martina Hingis in the 99 USOpen semi, I was just as distraught and disappointed as she looked while watching Serena win against Hingis. I remember commenting to my friends that Venus should've shared in the prize money because the match with Venus wore Martina Hingis down (in addition to the blistering heat that Serena was bringing). To then see her blossom into the confident, strategy-oriented player that she became after that match did my heart proud. I love both the sisters but Venus has the most special place in my heart.

In the 2002 post-Wimbledon final interview, Venus summed it up best by saying that she had always been bigger, better and essentially more talented than Serena but that since Serena was smaller, less natural, that Serena reaped the bounty of having to work harder and she deserved to be rewarded for that hard work. I still think that even though Venus is the more naturally talented, she will once again be able to harness the gift that she possesses and add it to the hard work she too has come to rely upon to maintain her dominance in Women's tennis. I root for and like lots of players on the WTA circuit, just not when they're playing Venus.
jean_genie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:08 AM   #12
country flag HAIL-VENUS

HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of HAIL-VENUS has much to be proud of
Talking

Ok, here's my entire "first-fell-in love-with Venus" story.

I don't remember the year, but it must have been in '97 after the US Open. Jet Magazine did an article about Venus and Serena and they talked about her reaching the finals of the Open. Anyway, when I first laid eyes on her, I thought that she looked really strange, but in an intriguing sort of way. Her face was different, so was her hair. I couldn't wait to see her play a match. Well, I didn't start following tennis avidly at that point, though I liked the sport and was a fan of Martina Navratilova when I was a child, so it was a couple years before I actually saw a Venus Williams match. Actually, it was Wimbledon 1999 when she played Steffi Graf in the Quarters. I thought Venus had a chance. She was playing great before that damn rain delay; after that, she made way too many errors and ended up losing the match. I liked Venus a lot, but I still wasn't really a follower of the sport. Then, one day, I was feeling kind of low. I was on vacation from my job and I had nothing to do. I was channel surfing when I came across Venus vs Martina in the Quarters of Wimbledon 2000. Eventhough the match was almost over, I decided to watch the rest of it to see if Venus would win. Anyway, I was in for a treat because after Venus won, they said that she'd be playing her sister in the Semi's. From then on, I've been a huge fan of Venus Williams, even before she reached the finals. I just thought that she was a very alluring and interesting personality. I also believed she could win, and I didn't want to miss that moment. Honestly, I didn't realize that she had not won a Grand Slam before. I just assumed that she had, being that she was so good, and I hadn't followed her closely at that point. Now, I love myself some Venus, all the time. Oh, and I like Serena too.
Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:55 AM   #13
J_Migoe

J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all J_Migoe is a name known to all
For me, it was also way back in 1997 during the US Open. I had always been interested in tennis but I did not really follow it maybe because when I was growing up, there was no TV, pay channels and stuff. The only news we'd get were that from newspapers.

In 1996, I started hearing about a certain " Swiss Doll' who'd taken the world by storm in reaching the world number 1 spot. I think, Steffi Graf was injured in that year.My interest in tennis grew but it was not strong. I was 16 that time and was still very interested in rugby and athletics. I was a major fan of athletics being a high school track athelete myself. In 1997, I remember it was just the week after Princess Diana's funeral( The whole of Fiji had been mourning the death of the regal princess). I was sitting with my sister on the sofa watching the local news on TV ( Fiji only started having TV in 1990...but television programmes have developed a lot ever since).

The news reader mentioned that Martina Hingis had just won the US Open beating an unseeded American Venus Williams. They displayed Martina playing her opponent. What struck me straight away was the skin colour of her opponent even though she was playing at the far end of the court from the screen. I asked my sister..." Is the girl black?" She was not really sure but she jsut mentioned: " I hope so!" I replied: " I hope so too!" The camera than zoomed in on this player and "wow!" she was black. My sister and I for some reason just jumped up. I said:" wow! at last a black person in tennis!" I was marvelled by how 'she' was streching from corner to corner" while playing Hingis. Venus' atheleticism was just incredible and she immediately won my heart. Ever since that day, I started following her, gathering news items about her etc etc.

I did not know Venus had a sister until 1998 when reading a local newsppaper, I learnt tha Venus would face her sister Serena in a preliminary match at the Australian Open. I was like: " Wow! she has a sister?@!" My interest in the sisters and tennis grew and grew. By 1999, I had learnt all the tennis rules and by 2000, I was well acquianted with all sisters oppponents names and so on. My interest in athletics and rugby just died out. In 1999, I also came to learn that there were four grand slams in tennis which were contested every year. Previously, I was only aware of Wimbledon.

Now, I'm the biggest tennis fan in the world and I am so greatly indebted to these two beautiful and extraordinary young ladies who have made me fall so obsessively in love with a sport that I hardly knew anything about. The Williams sisters are and will always be my favourite tennis players.

J_Migoe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote