Where are they now? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #31
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of
Re: Where are they now?

Linda Cassell from Quensland became a nun and Bernadette Randall from NSW a policewoman. Cynthia Doerner was such a glamour and I saw her picture in the tennis mag recently and she looked shocking!

Who remembers Susan Leo? I wish I knew what happened to her!
scottsue is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 19th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #32
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute

Who are those girls you mentioned scottsue? What era?

I'm in my late 20's, so my tennis memory goes back to around 1987 at the earliest. The declining years of Turnbull, Balestrat (Fromholtz), Minter, Smylie etc, and the emergence of Provis/Bradtke, Radford/Kunce (remember her great match with Martina Nav at Wimbledon ), McQuillan, Faull, Jaggard-Lai, Pratt, Godridge, McShea, Sharpe and others who came and went rather quickly. I miss those days following tennis as a kid. Your right about the effect it's had on our lives

danker - thanks for the info on Siobhan. I preferred her to Annabel Ellwood, but I always thought their junior rankings were inflated due to their success at AO juniors. The field in the AO junior tourney in the 90's was always considerably weak. Still, they were our best junior prospects (along with Trudi) in the mid 90s and it's a shame Siobhan never cracked the top 100 despite being so close! You're right about her putting on some extra kilo's...

Last edited by TS : Jul 20th, 2007 at 04:34 AM.
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #33
country flag Rising Sun

Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future Rising Sun has a brilliant future

To those who'd seen Siobhan, Trudi & Annabel play, who do you feel had the best game, mental strength and talent?

I'm disappointed to have not seen Siobhan play, but it was definitely a great effort for her to reach the 2R of the AO a couple of times during her junior years.
Rising Sun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #34
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsue View Post
Linda Cassell from Quensland became a nun and Bernadette Randall from NSW a policewoman. Cynthia Doerner was such a glamour and I saw her picture in the tennis mag recently and she looked shocking!

Who remembers Susan Leo? I wish I knew what happened to her!
All I know about Sue is that around the 1987 Wimbledon she was thinking of retiring and becoming a coach. Not sure if that occurred. I can remember watching her once get smacked by Wendy Turnbull 60 60 at the Ao one year. Wendy then smacked Liz Smyle 60 60 as well. 24 games straight at a slam for Wendy

Randall was a huge prospect at one stage however just seemed to falter after Juniors. Usually story for our gals.

Seany mentioned Kate McDonald - I thought she was a good player but could never get fit. Qualified at the French one year and led Mary Jo Fernandez by 3-1 or 4-2 in the 1st but was overran.
Don't know much about Cassell and Doerner
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #35
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by danker View Post
To those who'd seen Siobhan, Trudi & Annabel play, who do you feel had the best game, mental strength and talent?

I'm disappointed to have not seen Siobhan play, but it was definitely a great effort for her to reach the 2R of the AO a couple of times during her junior years.
Ive seen all three and I must say that's a really hard question. Ellwood made a bigger impression on the tour so you'd give her the nod for the best game. Tho many might say Siobhan might be more tougher mentally, because Anabelle did get nervous at times and wasn't a strong character, SDB never played the big matches Anabelle did. Beat Kruger at Fed Cup in Sth Africa and then took a set off Coetzer 6-1, Serna, Capriati, McNeil etc...

SDB had no big weapons, but consistent, and a nice nature. Trudi hit the ball harder than all three, but not neccessarily had more talent. No game plan and never could get any consistency off the ground.

Similarity with all three, lovely gals, but lacked killer instinct.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #36
country flag scottsue

scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of scottsue has much to be proud of

Some really interesting info is coming out from this.

Sean, I had never thought that Dianne my have been shunned for her homophobic nature but you could be so right. I have solved your Jaggard puzzle and you my Fromholtz one!

I am sorry for those youngsters here. I am 44 and going back a long way with my Cassell, Randall info. Those of you over 40 would probably remember them. Along with Turk, Field, Thompson, Sawyer(she was hot!) Saliba, Whytcross, O'neil etc.

It has always amazed me that we follow these people as if they are our friends and then they disappear and we havce no way of knowing what has happened to them.

Keep these posts coming. I am enjoying each and every one of them.
scottsue is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #37
country flag SeanyQ

SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS View Post
Who are those girls you mentioned scottsue? What era?

I'm in my late 20's, so my tennis memory goes back to around 1987 at the earliest. The declining years of Turnbull, Balestrat (Fromholtz), Minter, Smylie etc, and the emergence of Provis/Bradtke, Radford/Kunce (remember her great match with Martina Nav at Wimbledon ), McQuillan, Faull, Jaggard-Lai, Pratt, Godridge, McShea, Sharpe and others who came and went rather quickly. I miss those days following tennis as a kid. Your right about the effect it's had on our lives

danker - thanks for the info on Siobhan. I preferred her to Annabel Ellwood, but I always thought their junior rankings were inflated due to their success at AO juniors. The field in the AO junior tourney in the 90's was always considerably weak. Still, they were our best junior prospects (along with Trudi) in the mid 90s and it's a shame Siobhan never cracked the top 100 despite being so close! You're right about her putting on some extra kilo's...

I'm hearin u TS! Ausboy, u, me & I think Lou Lou would be similar age (late 20's). I started getting obsessed with the summer of tennis from 1989 onwards.
Scotty's a decade & a half ahead of us.
Hey Scott, here's a name u may remember from the 80's. Can't spell it properly, but surname was Warasakara or something (pronounced that way anyway). She was an Aussie ITF girl who got to the 3 or 400's.
She's my brother in law's cousin ...lol & would be early 40's now I guess.
I've never met her, apparently she's living in the states & is a battler. Doesn't get to play much anymore due to the costs of having to hire courts & so on....(I remember him telling me about it in the mid 90's)...
Scott, I'll pvt msg u 2moro, I have the w/e off....
SeanyQ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:18 AM   #38
country flag SeanyQ

SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future SeanyQ has a brilliant future

Quote:
I thought Jane Taylor was a shy little thing from the interviews I saw during her AO run in the early-mid 90s (was it 94?).

Wow, Melissa Beadman. There's a name I haven't heard of in a while. Funny Jane said that about her, cos didn't Melissa go on a tear and win a whole swag of Aussie challengers one year?
Yeah Jane came across really well when being interviewed or at trophy presentations. She knew how to present herself. She obviously wasn't too nice to those on tour with her though.
I think had Beadman not drawn Taylor every 2nd tournie, she might've lasted a bit longer. I remember thinking the 2nd time I saw her get kicked by Taylor in singles, how much longer was she going to be able to play at that rate?
Poor girl (Beadman), she had a nice game.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #39
country flag SeanyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_clay View Post
I thought I saw some results of hers this year... still playing the odd event.

After finishing school up in the bush, i went to Newcastle Uni to study and later drop out in favour of a surf-punk lifestyle (great decision!!) that some of my new Newie friends led.

One of my new Newcastle p!sshead mates went to St Francis Xaviers college class of '95... and was in the same class as Trudi... and as we all lived close to District Park Tennis Centre in Newcastle, me n a few mates used to use it a watering hole after a few sets of tennis... my mate introduced me to Trudi..

and what a top aussie i found her to be... i remember reading about her in some aussie tennis mags as a junior then thinking after i met her... 'wow... Newcastle chicks rock...!'

I would love to have a beer with Trudi... it would be my shout too... i'd shout twice in a row even... maybe three times if pressed...

pity she didn't crack the top 100... she would have been a true ambassador for what a proper aussie tennis female tennis player is...
Cheers for sharing!
I love Trudi, I'd been watching her play ITF's since she 1st started on tour & only met her for the 1st time in 2005. She & her partner are a really nice couple.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #40
country flag SeanyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSBOY View Post
Jane Taylor reached a career high of around 123. She was very much the Cindy Watson of the mid/early 90's, powerless but consistent.

She did battle from severe asthma and a few other medical problems that did almost see her die at one stage, and did continually disrupt her career, and I believe forced a premature retirement.

I wasn't aware of her bitchy side, but if its any consolation, I saw her cop a lot of bitchiness from Els Callens! I remember watching Jane play Julie Halard in the 1st round of the Aust Open and Julie was overpowering her to the point it was ridiculous. At one point Julie hit a forehand so hard that when Jane went to hit it back the force from the ball actually knocked the racquet backwards out of Janes hand! Anyhow El's saw this and burst out laughing with Julie's coach Arnaud Decugis. Jane just glared at Els, but that didn't stop Els from joking about how pathetic some of the Aussie wildcards were etc.
Is Callens sounds like a real mole!
I'd read about her in the general msg's forum, makes it worse now I know she was slagging off the Aussies too.
With a face like hers, you'd think she'd keep it shut a bit more.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #41
country flag SeanyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
Wendy Turnbull dropped off the earth after being dumped as Fed Cup captain which coincided with her absence from channel 7 commentary. The best capatin we've had in terms of results. Was playing veterens slams for a while still. Not sure what has become of her recently.

I remember that match vs. Singer and Taylor. Jane's interview after the match was really sweet. She played pretty well against Novotna too. God I think i still have the match on VHS! I saw Jane the next year play Silke Mieier in the 1st rnd and lose a titanic 1st set t/b 12-10, grab the 2nd and lose the 3rd - she seemed to have a great nature on court. She was very consistent off the ground and if not for injuries may have made the top 100.

And yes her and Trudi seemed to be mates. She was cheering her on in a quallie match Trudi played one year against Petra Mandula. Oh well its interesting to hear about people's other side.

Seany you really love Michelle Jaggard-Lai. She seemed sweet, but I found her game very frustrating to watch. That double handed slice... ugh!

No ones mentioned Anne Minter who was a stalwart for many years. A highest rank of 23 and wins over Evert, Shriver, Garrison, Sukova, Graf (ok Steffi was only 16 but was in the top 20). had a baby, then had a brief return to the tour. Realised she wasn't going to get to where she used to be and then retired. She did some commentary after she quit for ABC as well but I don't think has ever put herself up for coaching duties or anything. Anne was studying law by correspondence during her playing days too.

I know her sister Liz was pursuing a career in journalism when she quit.
You sound like me! I have a couple of boxes full of old Aussie matches on VHS.
Mind u I'm sure the Michelle J-G matches would barely be holding onto life (let alone her interviews!). I can still remember points from most of them, pretty scary considering I'm flat off remembering what happenend last week!
I'd kill to run into her at a tournie one day! I'd think I'd end up talking her ear off. Any of our current players that I've asked about her, are too young to even know who she is.
Do u remember that Kooyong $50k that Anne Minter made her comeback at.
She managed to hammer one of the better Aussies, I think it was Louise Field 0&0 before Stubbsy did the same back to her in the next round.
I remember her saying at the time, that aside from that $50k, she wasn't going to play challengers at all to make a comeback through. If she didn't make it back on the main tour, then she wouldn't bother. I think she would've been able to make it back had she been willing to go about it the right way.
That's one thing about Liz Smylie. I hate the troll & have nothing nice to say about her, but she did go about her comeback the right way by playing ITF's before getting back into the top 100.
Liz Minter had retired before my time though. I only saw her results in those GS yearbooks that Aus Tennis Magazine used to release yearly.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:36 AM   #42
country flag SeanyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by danker View Post

While Trudi was always my favourite of the 3 (even back in juniors). She probably wasn't quite as talented as the other 2, but was obviously far more suited to life on the tour & was more illing to put in the hard work.
Siobhan would've been the most mentally weak of the 3. Then again, Annabel was prone to having a sook if she had to exert herself too much in a match. I remember on of the GC qualies tournies from like 98 or 99. She beat Torrens-Valero in a tough Q2 match & then had to beat Guse in another 3 setter in the final round & ended up in tears from exhaustion afterwards.
Drake-Brockman would've had a great career had she had her head together & not quit when she was like 14!!
Ellwood & Musgrave both had a great f/h's that were actually weapons until the AIS got a hold of them!
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #43
country flag SeanyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by louloubelle View Post
Seany mentioned Kate McDonald - I thought she was a good player but could never get fit. Qualified at the French one year and led Mary Jo Fernandez by 3-1 or 4-2 in the 1st but was overran.
She got to the 3r of the FO in like 1989.
Had it not been for the injuries that put her from top 100 to 300's, who knows how far she would've gone?!
Last I heard she was coaching in Albury....
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #44
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute

Sean, I remember those Tennis Aus mag yearbooks (they were great!). I think I might have a few at mums place still. They were a must have item at the end of every tennis year for me!
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #45
country flag SeanyQ

Quote:
Sean, I remember those Tennis Aus mag yearbooks (they were great!). I think I might have a few at mums place still. They were a must have item at the end of every tennis year for me!
Weren't they unreal! I remember being so disappointed the year they stopped making them.
I killed all my tennis mag collection a couple of years back. I regret turfing some of the stuff now.