Toughest Run to a Grandslam Victory - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #1
country flag TAMUStud86

TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86 TAMUStud86
Toughest Run to a Grandslam Victory

I'm wondering, who do you think had the hardest run to their GrandSlam victory? Of course all majors are worth the same, but sometimes it makes it so much sweeter when the competition was absolutely fierce. I know some of hte draws can be found online... My pick could be Serena Williams, Australian Open 2007

1rd: Santangelo (27)
2rd: Kremer
3rd: Petrova (5)
4th: Jankovic (11)
QF: Peer (16)
SF: Vaidisova (10)
F: Sharapova (1)

Any other tough draws anyone can think of?
TAMUStud86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #2
country flag heytennis

heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of
Re: Toughest Run to a Grandslam Victory

2005 USO was very hard for both Clijsters (went through Venus, Sharapova and Pierce) and Pierce (went through Henin, Mauresmo, Dementieva).
heytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #3
country flag Tennace

Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute Tennace has a reputation beyond repute

Serena's one was definately one of the toughest if not the toughest. I know I can't think of any tougher Beating 5 top 16 seeds, 6 seeded players. Petrova, Jankovic, Peer, Vaidisova, and Sharapova all consecutively is crazy. They are 5 players who most players would not want to face let alone facing all 5.

Dokic - Hantuchova - Zakopalova - Minella - Szavay - Bammer - Safarova
Stanciute - Panova - Gubacsi - Cibulkova - Cirstea - Hofmanova - Cetkovska

Official Limo Driver of Don't Knock the Dok
Tennace is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #4
country flag Tennisstar86

Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute Tennisstar86 has a reputation beyond repute

hrmm...I dont know about toughest run, but toughest Final... Venus / Serena 2005 AO and WIM....hrmmm Capriati d Hingis was that french or AO where she came back from 0-5 or something.... I dont know it seems like to me its sweeter regardless of the previous matches if the final is just intense and well faught

For example Venus saying she has her 3rd wimbledon title next to her bed because it was such a great match.

I think its safe to say Venus and Serena maybe Pierce have had the toughest draws because when they got to the finals they were seeded low and not expected to get there. whereas most other players are already top ten or top 20 lol.
Tennisstar86 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #5
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

It has to be Serena's first Grand Slam singles title:

Seeded 7

1R: Kimberly Po: 6-1 6-0
2R: Jelena Kostanic: 6-4 6-2
3R: Kim Clijsters: 4-6 6-2 7-5
4R: (16) Conchita Martinez 4-6 6-2 6-2
QF: (4) Monica Seles 4-6 6-3 6-2
SF: (2) (DC) Lindsay Davenport 6-4 1-6 6-4
Final: (1) Martina Hingis 6-3 7-6

Huge huge run there with wins over the 2 best players of the late-90's plus Seles, Martinez and Clijsters. 5 of the 7 players she faced had won or would go onto win grand slam singles titles.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #6
country flag AnnaK_4ever

AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute AnnaK_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

Roland Garros 1999 - Graf
Australian Open 2005 - Serena
Australian Open 2002 - Capriati
US Open 1999 - Serena
Wimbledon 2000 - Venus
Roland Garros 2000 - Pierce
Wimbledon 2006 - Mauresmo
Roland Garros 2004 - Myskina
AnnaK_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #7
country flag cellophane

cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute

at Serena's 2007 draw being the toughest

In recent years... probably Venus in '05 Wimbledon.

"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman
cellophane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:52 AM   #8
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_6789 View Post

Seeded 7

Huge huge run there with wins over the 2 best players of the late-90's plus Seles, Martinez and Clijsters. 5 of the 7 players she faced had won or would go onto win grand slam singles titles.
I agree with you, definately has to be this tournament
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #9
country flag heytennis

heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of heytennis has much to be proud of

Clijsters back in 1999 was nothing though.
heytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #10
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heytennis View Post
Clijsters back in 1999 was nothing though.
She still managed to push Serena to 4-6 6-2 7-5! Yes she was right at the start of her career, but still a tough opponent. But the real hard work for Serena was Seles-Davenport-Hingis.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #11
spartanfan

spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute spartanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_6789 View Post

Seeded 7

AGREED!
spartanfan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote