Is it just a matter of confidence with Venus? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #1
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute
Is it just a matter of confidence with Venus?

Venus hasn't really had TERRIBLE results this season. She played decent on the clay, but clay isn't her surface. Now that she's at Wimbledon, was it just a matter of building confidence from her? We don't need to go into the history of how well Venus does at Wimbledon when she's this deep in the second week. I'm still tryin to figure out how she can play so crappy on Court 2 and shine on Court 1 and Centre Court. She beat Sharapova and Kuznetsova in straights, so is it just a matter of Venus getting some confidence to have more faith in her serve and shots, or is it something more?

Serena Williams Australian Open Champion (03,05,07,09,10)
French Open Champion (02,13)
Wimbledon Champion (02,03,09,10,12)
US Open Champion (99,02,08,12,13)
mdterp01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #2
country flag jujufreak

jujufreak has disabled reputation
Re: Is it just a matter of confidence with Venus?

it's a matter of confidence with every player. You can't win a match without confidence.
jujufreak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #3
country flag saki

saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's got something to do with it. But I think the confidence of her opponents also plays into it. Sveta's shots weren't much different today than they were when they played at Warsaw but Sveta just had no confidence. After she failed to convert any of her early breakpoints she just didn't look like a player who thought she could win. Sveta has a horrible record at Grand Slams against top 10 players and Venus is top 10 on grass.
saki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #4
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute

Honey, Venus is #1 on grass. 3 times the champion in this decade, and 2 other finals losing to sister Serena.

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #5
country flag jujufreak

jujufreak has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdterp01 View Post
Honey, Venus is #1 on grass. 3 times the champion in this decade, and 2 other finals losing to sister Serena.
but saki's right about Sveta playing a horrible match
jujufreak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #6
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

its defenatly confidence...she always seems to find her confidence at wimbledon but hasnt been able to keep that confidence for the rest of the year up until RG and only once (02/03) at AO if she can stay healthy for a year, she could be a contender even at RG but lets not get ahead of ourselves...today ana ivanovic, tomorrow....the world
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #7
country flag mdterp01

Regardless...the important thing I'm seeing is shades of '05. Venus is rounding into form and getting more and more confortable on grass. She put together 2 back to back matches in which she didn't hit a bad patch like she does so much lately. So while Sveta may not have played a good match, a lot of that had to do with Venus being on the other side of the net. Players at this point in Wimbledon better not wait for Venus to make errors now because she's clearly gaining momentum and turned the corner now that she's deep into the second week.

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:20 PM   #8
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujufreak View Post
no she played well...it just looked like she wasnt bad coz she would often move up the court on a short ball to finish the point, only to see it come back...the commentators said that if kuznetsova had played like this against most of the top 10, she would have won
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #9
country flag VRee_Willario

VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute VRee_Willario has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujufreak View Post
horrible? She played one of her best matches against a grand slam champion in a grand slam. Actually she only had 4 more errors than Venus and as many double faults. Venus just tracked everything down today and her ground strokes were on fire

ArantxaSanchez-Vicario

Vee and Ree A fan since I was eight years old, and always supporting you
VRee_Willario is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #10
country flag Slutiana

Quote:
Regardless...the important thing I'm seeing is shades of '05. Venus is rounding into form and getting more and more confortable on grass. She put together 2 back to back matches in which she didn't hit a bad patch like she does so much lately. So while Sveta may not have played a good match, a lot of that had to do with Venus being on the other side of the net. Players at this point in Wimbledon better not wait for Venus to make errors now because she's clearly gaining momentum and turned the corner now that she's deep into the second week.
more than just 2 matches with no let downs....she beat 2 top 5 players in a row! That has to give her even more confidence
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:45 PM   #11
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's far more complicated than confidence alone--let's face it, V & S aren't lacking in the confidence department, never have.

I don't know what it is, but whatever it is, it's back. Barring the match of her life in the final, I think Justine falls to Venus in another WB final. I never would have said that a week ago, that's for sure!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #12
country flag saki

saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute saki has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-S-V Williams View Post
horrible? She played one of her best matches against a grand slam champion in a grand slam. Actually she only had 4 more errors than Venus and as many double faults. Venus just tracked everything down today and her ground strokes were on fire
Have you ever seen Sveta play? 1/7 on breakpoints is nowhere near her best.

She didn't play an awful match but she did play an underconfident match.
saki is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #13
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tutu- View Post
more than just 2 matches with no let downs....she beat 2 top 5 players in a row! That has to give her even more confidence
yeah at Wimbledon confidence is the key for Venus and she seems to have it naturally now also she has a history of beating the top 2 in the world to win her titles here so IF shes in that final she isnt going to be easy to send home without that rosewater dish
2000 Wimbledon
Q H2H (1) HINGIS, MARTINA 1 W 6-3 4-6 6-4
S H2H (8) WILLIAMS, SERENA 8 W 6-2 7-6(3)
F H2H (2) DAVENPORT, LINDSAY 2 W 6-3 7-6(3)

2003* only exception
S H2H (2) CLIJSTERS, KIM 2 W 4-6 6-3 6-1
F H2H (1) WILLIAMS, SERENA 1 L 4-6 6-4 6-2

2005 Wimbledon
S H2H (2) SHARAPOVA, MARIA 2 W 7-6(2) 6-1
F H2H (1) DAVENPORT, LINDSAY 1 W 4-6 7-6(4) 9-7

2007 Wimbledon
R16 H2H 2 SHARAPOVA,MARIA 2 W 6-1 6-3
QF H2H 5 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA 5 W 6-3 6-4
SF H2H 6 IVANOVIC, ANA 6 ?????????????????????
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote