Did Serena use gamesmanship today? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Gamesmanship?

Yes 140 47.30%
No 156 52.70%
Voters: 296. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM   #1
country flag supergrunt

supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute supergrunt has a reputation beyond repute
Did Serena use gamesmanship today?

Maybe I don't think so because I am biased but we all know how fair Serena is and how much she dislikes gamesmanship. She didn't get the bathroom break and she still won. I think that all of her moves were legitimate and fair.
supergrunt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:32 PM   #2
country flag frenchie

frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Did Serena use gamesmanship today?

not at all

Radwanska - S. Williams - V. Williams - Kerber
frenchie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #3
country flag franklinbouvier

franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of franklinbouvier has much to be proud of

I'm not 100% sure.
I'm slightly perturbed by the fact she needed a toilet break before Hantuchova's service game because she'd been drinking so much water then when the umpire told her she could go (before her own service game) she suddenly didn't need to anymore.
franklinbouvier is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #4
country flag OhDear121

OhDear121 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes
OhDear121 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #5
country flag littlebin

littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all littlebin is a name known to all

She didn't get the break, but she sucessfully get delay, puzzled and discomforted Daniel and finally got a decisive break.
littlebin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #6
country flag Craigy

Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute Craigy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you even start a thread like this you asshole. All you want is for Serena fans to attack people.
Fine I'll attack you

twitter tumblr
Craigy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM   #7
country flag John.
I Was Gonna Cancel!

John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think so. She was so nervous and unstable at the beginning of the final set, in the end, it was adrenaline and fire that got her through
John. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM   #8
country flag cellophane

cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute cellophane has a reputation beyond repute

:serensmanship?:

"I wish I were as aggressive and serious as those floors too!!" - GOAT Cynthia Zimmerman
cellophane is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM   #9
country flag :inlove:
attack plz

:inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute :inlove: has a reputation beyond repute

A bit. But it's Serena, so I'll forgive her.
:inlove: is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #10
country flag Dexter
Team WTAworld
Polish & Serbian Kingdoms

Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute Dexter has a reputation beyond repute

Well, to me asking for a bathroom break in the middle of the set was a bit fishy, considering all this long break they had. I didn't watch afterwards - did she ask to go again?, because umpire said she could leave before her service game or sthg like that.

My travelling blog
Dexter is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #11
jbone_0307

jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of jbone_0307 has much to be proud of

I don't think she used gamesmanship because she asked to go during the break. It would have thrown both of them off if she went in between Daniela and her service game. It must be a new rule because she would have never been allowed to go during changeovers because Daniela would have always served first.
jbone_0307 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:36 PM   #12
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I don't see how going to the bathroom would have helped her. Plus, she didn't even go in the end so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inger67 View Post
I don't like Venus or Urszula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inger67 View Post
If Ula can beat you 6-1, 6-3 then you know you're a mug
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #13
country flag Kim's_fan_4ever
The only girl in the world.

Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute Kim's_fan_4ever has a reputation beyond repute

You are obsessed with Serena. A normal Serena fan wouldn't have started a thread questioning her sportsmanship
If you love someone, you tell them
Even if you're scared that it's not the right thing
Even if you're scared that it'll cause problems
Even if you're scared that it'll burn you life to the ground, you say it
And you say it loud
Kim's_fan_4ever is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM   #14
country flag DragonFlame
Team WTAworld

DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute DragonFlame has a reputation beyond repute

Yes , pure gamemanship with the bathroombreak.
She asked to go to the bathroom right before daniela has to serve an important game. The umpire followed the rules and said she can't go because daniela has to serve. Serena obviously should know these rules but she was mad at the umpire for not letting her go. Even so she delayed play to get in hantuchova's head. What happens: Serena breaks, the umpire tells her she can go to the bathroom now because it's before her own serve now. Now she doesn't need to go! yeah offcourse not, you have the momentum now That's pure gamemanship and nothing else.

Elena, thank you for all the joy you gave me, you will always remain in my mind.
Intelligence Officer of the SS Dementieva
DragonFlame is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 07:40 PM   #15
country flag mdterp01

mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute mdterp01 has a reputation beyond repute

Gamesmanship?! I think any person with 2 brain cells has to know that she had to have been drinking all kinds of fluids. So asking to go to the bathroom is not at all out of the ordinary in that situation. As for "suddenly not needing it" when getting the break or holding serve, adrenaline can do a lot and perhaps, like digging down deep to come out and continue that match, she decided to hold it and keep that momentum going.

Serena Williams Australian Open Champion (03,05,07,09,10)
French Open Champion (02,13)
Wimbledon Champion (02,03,09,10,12)
US Open Champion (99,02,08,12,13)
mdterp01 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote