Richard Williams-Venus Must Move Up To The Ball! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:04 PM   #1
country flag Wolverines08

Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of
Richard Williams-Venus Must Move Up To The Ball!

WIMBLEDON, England (AP) -- Venus Williams faced 23 break points, double-faulted 14 times, trailed 3-5 in the third set and drew criticism from her dad Monday at Wimbledon.

Even so, she won. The three-time champion rallied past Akiko Morigami 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 in a third-round match suspended Saturday.

Williams will next face 2004 champion Maria Sharapova, one of only two players to win Saturday in a rain-abbreviated schedule. Williams trailed 1-4 in the second set when her match was halted.

Williams, seeded 23rd, struggled with her serve in windy weather and double-faulted for the final time to fall behind 3-5 in the last set.

"I was coming down too quickly on the second serve," Williams said. "So I made the correction."

Morigami then lost serve at love, and Williams hit four big serves to hold for 5-all.

With Williams serving for the match at 6-5, rain began to fall and umbrellas popped out in the stands, but play continued. Williams erased two break points -- making Morigami 4-for-23 on break points -- and closed out the victory on the first match point with a service winner.

The crowd rose to applaud Williams, including her friend, professional golfer Hank Kuehne. The court was then covered for another delay.

In the second set, Williams double-faulted four times serving at 2-5 but still managed to hold, then double-faulted four more times in her next service game. Morigami needed 10 set points to even the match, finally forcing a third set when Williams hit a forehand wide.

Venus saw the match as a positive.

"When it was time, I did what it took. I definitely would like to do what it takes earlier," she said. "But I think on the other hand, that kind of competition is invaluable in this kind of tournament. So either way it's good for me."

"Ask her why she's behind the baseline 13 feet," Richard Williams said.

Said Venus: "At times I was too far behind the line, but usually when I was really just on defense. Especially here, if you're too far, the ball doesn't come up. I will look forward to moving forward in the next matches."

"If Venus moves up to the ball and takes it off the bounce instead of waiting behind the baseline, she'll be the only one here, including Sharapova," said Williams' father and coach, Richard. "She's not going to beat anyone if she's not moving into the ball."

Last edited by Wolverines08 : Jul 2nd, 2007 at 05:08 PM.
Wolverines08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:11 PM   #2
country flag venus_rulez
Keepin That Tutty Fresh!

venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Richard Williams-Venus Must Move Up To The Ball!

Truer words ...

I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM   #3
country flag simba

simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all simba is a name known to all

tell her, richard.
simba is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM   #4
country flag TennisGuy21

TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of TennisGuy21 has much to be proud of

its true Venus needs to get up to the ball
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM   #5
country flag venusdemilo

venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all venusdemilo is a name known to all

Once again, Richard is telling the truth.
venusdemilo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 04:54 PM   #6
country flag azinna

azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute

Preach!

Always on the lookout for a great tennis match.
azinna is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:03 PM   #7
country flag Slutiana

Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute Slutiana has a reputation beyond repute

u tell 'em richie!
Slutiana is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM   #8
country flag John.
On a Timebomb!

John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute

So true
John. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM   #9
country flag Wolverines08

Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of Wolverines08 has much to be proud of

look at the title post again...Richard had even more to say, and questions Venus.
Wolverines08 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote