The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu - Page 89 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 07:42 PM   #1321
country flag grs

grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

"The most important goal for me is to be healthy, then to improve my game and try to make better results than last year."

Smart girl! She knows very well how to prioritize her goals.
grs is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:34 PM   #1322
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
Great win, very pleasing result. Zheng will be another tough match but there's no reason Monica can't come out on top again. Shame it doesn't look like the match will be streamed but even so I'm looking forward to seeing the scoreboard even. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Monica can do this year, I think it could be something quite memorable and quite possibly the best season by a Romanian female player since the days of Spirlea and Dragomir.
She is playing 3rd on CC, the match will be streamed!

EDIT: While, Pennetta, Vinci and Goerges have to play on outside courts!
Curcubeu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:50 PM   #1323
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcubeu View Post
She is playing 3rd on CC, the match will be streamed!

EDIT: While, Pennetta, Vinci and Goerges have to play on outside courts!
Excellent
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:53 PM   #1324
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute

And I have migraine, so she better won't disappoint me now!
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #1325
country flag Curcubeu

won at least 2 games, happy for the people (and for her fans) that it was revised to an outside court...
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #1326
country flag grs

grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of

I opened the scoreboard at 0-6; She won first two games of second set and I really hoped in a comeback, but she folded again. Let's hope that it's just a bad day at the office. Anyway she's started the year better then in 2011.

PS. Last year she began with a 2-6 2-6 lost to McHale and she had an amazing finished. This year another Romanian player started with a two easy sets lost to McHale

Last edited by grs : Jan 4th, 2012 at 05:21 AM.
grs is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #1327
country flag Curcubeu

Jie may handle her game very well. They have never met before, so...

However, she will have a Top 4 seeding in Horbat and I hope she can take her chances there. The draw will be tough as well, though, but I'm sure the windy conditions also played a role here. She wrote in her blog that she had problems to adapt in her matches before, as well...
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #1328
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I also get a sense that Jie is simply one of those players that just handles Monica well. There is always going to be a handful of players who simply aren't troubled by Monica's unorthodox play and I think we can probably include Jie on that list. She does strike me as the type of player who would deal with Monica pretty well actually so I think it was just one of the things.

I agree with both the posts above me and while I would have been delighted to see Monica have another good tournament here, I am not about to lose sleep over this result and I'm still hopeful that Monica can do well in her next two tournaments in Australia.
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #1329
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute

Well not a nice scoreline but hopefully she won more winst in the next tournaments

Andrea Petkovic - Sara Errani - Jarka Gajdosova - Alizé Cornet
Dorien. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #1330
country flag Curcubeu

Quote:
Hello everybody

Well unfortunately today wasn't my day. Zheng Jie is a strong opponent. She played very well. I also had some pain in my right shoulder from the beginning of the match - I was trying to do my best, but it just didn't work. I'm still in the doubles though so I hope I can do better there!

I like New Zealand very much, especially Auckland. This is a very quiet country with nice weather and nice people. I also like it here because there's no traffic like everywhere else in the world, and also one of my best friends on the tour, Marina Erakovic, lives here! I got to see all her family this time. We have been good friends for a long time, since we played junior doubles together (we played two finals at Wimbledon and won the Orange Bowl together!)

I'll talk to you all again tomorrow... goodnight from Auckland

Moni

Who are your three favorite players on the ATP? Andrei-Sorin, Romania
Federer, Nadal and Santoro!

What is the best advice you have ever been given? Shane
The best advice I've ever received came from my coach, Calin Ciorbagiu. He told me to fight until the last point and never give up.

What are your next tournaments after Australia? Adrian, Romania
After this I have Fed Cup, then Paris, Doha and Dubai. Then of course Indian Wells and Miami. I'm really excited to play all of them!
Shoulder pain, as if her serve wouldn't suck, anyway...

Didn't know she is that good friends with Erakovic! .

And she is only going to play the big events after the AO. Let's hope she can surprise there!
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #1331
country flag Curcubeu

WTA Hobart, Main Draw:

(3)Monica Niculescu (ROU) vs. (SR)Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)
Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) vs. Qualifier
Jie Zheng (CHN) vs. Qualifier
(6)Shahar Peer (ISR) def. Lucie Hradecka (CZE)

Chakvetadze's comeback match!

This draw is too good to mess it up!
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1332
Everybody's a star!!!

I love that Monica lists Fabrice as one of her alltime favourite players. That is so cool. This quote definately makes me like Monica even more.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #1333
Everybody's a star!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcubeu View Post
WTA Hobart, Main Draw:

(3)Monica Niculescu (ROU) vs. (SR)Anna Chakvetadze (RUS)
Tsvetana Pironkova (BUL) vs. Qualifier
Jie Zheng (CHN) vs. Qualifier
(6)Shahar Peer (ISR) def. Lucie Hradecka (CZE)

Chakvetadze's comeback match!

This draw is too good to mess it up!
Yeah, Monica is always tough on players just returning to the tour after a long time out and I can't see Anna coping with her at all. The 2nd round should be alright as well. The quarters will be where it gets interesting. Won't be easy who ever she plays but I fancy her chances more against Hradecka and Peer than I do against Zheng after how last week went. Hopefully Zheng will be tired this week though and Monica won't even have to face her again.
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #1334
country flag Curcubeu

Quote:
Hi everyone,

The doubles today was a tough match against good opponents, but I enjoyed it a lot. Me and Alizé played very well with big shots and good interception at the net. All the match was very close but at the end, two points made the difference. The stadium was full. I think we made a good show for the spectators and I had a lot of fun on the court with Alizé! I like playing doubles a lot because I love to play at the net, making volleys and interceptions, and I also like the team spirit. I like singles too because I'm on the court making decisions by myself, finding solutions for different opponents with different game styles. I can't say I prefer one over the other - I like both singles and doubles!

It was my first time playing with Alizé. She is a girl full of energy on the court, like me. I'm playing with my Romanian compatriot Irina Begu in the next two tournaments, Hobart and the AO - this is also a new team.

I just finished my match and am about to go and eat something. I'll answer some of your questions first though and will come back

What are your favorite tournaments? Shannon, UK
Australian Open, US Open, Beijing and Stanford.

Did you ever get to meet Fabrice Santoro? Irina, Romania
No unfortunately I never met him, but I would love to!

What would you say is your biggest strength on the court? Jason
I think my biggest strength on the court are my legs.

... I'm flying early tomorrow morning to Hobart. I had a really nice time here in Auckland. I want to thank all the sponsors and all the people who organize this tournament. And of course I would like to say HELLO to all of my fans!!

With respect,

Monica Niculescu

Bye
Someone has to organize that meeting, please!

I also had to think abut the question what she would think of her biggest strength, after a thread in GM was opened about the most weaponless players. Her legs and movement are no weapons causing direct damage, but it's the basis of her game and advantage over a lot other players, however it's important to see that she feeled better!

Good luck in Hobart!
Old Jan 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #1335
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute

Monica should win 2 matches. Good luck

Andrea Petkovic - Sara Errani - Jarka Gajdosova - Alizé Cornet
Dorien. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote