The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu - Page 37 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #541
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

She is playing against Katie O'Brien now in first round of Prague

Andrea Petkovic - Sara Errani - Jarka Gajdosova - Alizé Cornet
Dorien. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 14th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #542
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute Dorien. has a reputation beyond repute

And finally a win 63 62

Old Jul 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #543
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

Hope she is more confident now 6-3 6-2 over O'Brien is a fantastic scoreline considering her results the last few months. Well done Monica
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #544
country flag Andiyan

Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute

Solid win IF she lost this
Andiyan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #545
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Very pleased to see Monica win a match in singles again.

The other thing however that pleases me even more is the way, despite Monica's slump in singles results this year Monica has not only maintained her doubles prowess but continued to improve it. As I said before I saw Monica's match against Shvedova at Wimbledon and it wasn't good. But I also saw most of Monica's doubles matches too, both with Kudryavtseva and Andrei Pavel. And Monica was sensational in all of these. The two mixed doubles matches with Pavel were especially fun and as enjoyable as any tennis I saw at Wimbledon the whole tournament. Both players were enjoying themselves and both were hitting some sensational improvised shots at times. The 2nd match was very very close and they were very unlucky to lose.

And last week Monica won her 1st WTA doubles tournament. I thought it was a shame no one made a thread of this in the doubles forum. I should have myself but somehow I don't tend to make a lot of threads. And it is disappointing it wasn't mentioned here either and again I am as guilty as everyone else. Monica may be slumping in singles but she is doing wonderfully in doubles and this should be celebrated here too. And as for singles I think we all need to rally round and give her our support too, support is just as important in down times as in good and I know there are a lot of people in this forum pulling for Monica. It would be great if we start showing that support here. Again, I've been as guilty as anyone in being negligent on this.

I digress. The other piece of good news that I think is really great is that this week Monica is in the top 30 of doubles for the 1st time in her career. Of that top 30, Monica is the 3rd youngest player on that list.

Next up for Monica is Benesova. Iveta is at home and clay is her best surface and shes world 32. So its a tough match. But Monica beat Iveta in their only previous match and Iveta has been a bit shaky in her post Wimbledon clay matches so far. So Monica has a chance. More than anything though I want to see a competitive match. Monica's lost a lot of tough three setters to some very good players in the last 18 months and those results can be disappointing in a so close but no cigar kind of way. But I would still take a close match like that to a match where Monica hardly wins any games. This is something that practically never happened last year and I really do want to see Monica regain that fighting spirit of hers.

So lets cross our fingers and hope for a really strong performance against Benesova. Whatever happens however I do think it is just a matter of time before all this success in doubles starts to rub off on Monica's singles game and Monica is back better than ever. As fans we just need to be patient.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #546
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

Thanks for your post

Old Jul 15th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #547
country flag Andiyan

Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute Andiyan has a reputation beyond repute

Hail Chris.

You are right, the doubles tournament victory was an amazing achievement, next to the lovely Alisa Kleybanova . Although they were ranked #1 of course, beating the Bondarenko sisters in straights is still impressive
Andiyan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #548
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

She is playing in Stanford.

R1: NICULESCU, Monica ROU vs SHAUGHNESSY, Meghann USA

Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #549
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty good 1st round I think. Of course after all this time out we have no way of knowing what sort of form Shaughnessy is in but, hey, it could have been a whole lot tougher. I'm optimistic. Obviously, after the 1st round any additional wins would be a nice added bonus but as long as Monica gets past Meghann I'm satisfied.

And in doubles the latest in Monica's long line in doubles partners is Yung-Jan Chan. She of course was part of one of the best doubles partnerships in tennis when she played with Chia-Jung Chuang. But since the split she hasn't really done much doubleswise. We will see how this partnership goes. They have a moderately easy 1st round against Foretz and Spears in the 1st round but then it gets much much tougher as they will probably face Huber/Black in the quarters. Monica did beat Black and Huber in Indian Wells when paired with Kleybanova but it is always a big ask to beat the top seeds and who knows how this new team will work. Personally I really do wish Monica would get a steady partner. Yaroslava Shvedova and Monica would be a perfect team.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Jul 27th, 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #550
Everybody's a star!!!

Hmmmm....that went rather well I must say.

Monica did the business against Meghann Shaughnessy 6-1 6-0. Nice to see her winning so convincingly, even against a player who is just returning to the game after a long layoff. Monica's game looked to be in good working order and I think this will give her good confidence boost. And those 60 ranking points definately come in handy too.

Looking forward to her next match now against Cibulkova or Stosur. Either way it will be a much tougher match for her but also a good test to see where Monica's game is at right now. I feel pretty positive Monica will be able to give a good account of herself.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #551
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

First point: Slava is playing doubles with Ipek and stays there, thanks

Second point: Good win Monica

Old Jul 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #552
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

She lost second round against Stosur 61 75

I haven't seen the match, but i'm happy with the scoreline at the second set. It seems like at least she has tried to do something.

Old Jul 31st, 2009, 07:24 AM   #553
country flag Keadz

Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute Keadz has a reputation beyond repute

Mon has a doubles night match tomorrow so a big match for her

Hope she has fun and there is a decent crowd.

DATE-KRUMM ERAKOVIC KUZNETSOVA BARTY SANDERS

ROGOWSKA ZAKOPALOVA PIRONKOVA JANKOVIC DELLACQUA
Keadz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 08:56 AM   #554
Everybody's a star!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadz View Post
Mon has a doubles night match tomorrow so a big match for her

Hope she has fun and there is a decent crowd.
Chan/Niculescu d Black/Huber 7-5 6-3

I think she probably enjoyed that.

WOW!!! This is great. I must admit I wasn't sure about this partnership when I 1st saw the draw. Yung-Jan was great when she was with Chuang but she has done little since to inspire confidence. But I suppose once a good doubles player always a good doubles player and Yung-Jan just needed a decent partner to reignite her skills. So has Monica finally found a partner she can conquer the world with? Too early to say but I sure as hell want to see these two keep it going for a few more tournaments to see what they can do on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorien. View Post
She lost second round against Stosur 61 75

I haven't seen the match, but i'm happy with the scoreline at the second set. It seems like at least she has tried to do something.
Yeah I was pleased too. We could see from the match against Serena that Stosur is playing some great tennis. So that second set effort by Monica was good stuff. Monica was really mixing things up and hitting all kinds of shots in that second set that's what she needs to do to be successful. Stosur was clearly knocked out of her rhythm for large parts of the 2nd set and if Monica can knock a player as good as Stosur out of her rhythm she can do it to many other players on the tour too. It's just a question with her of sustaining her best tennis for an entire match.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Aug 1st, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 08:58 AM   #555
country flag Dorien.
Proud Momosapien ♥

What a great win