The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu (Cheering Thread) - Page 201 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jan 10th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #3001
country flag Belle de Jour

Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

Such a lottery here, anything can happen with her in this AO! Good luck!
Belle de Jour is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #3002
country flag Nightcrawl3r

Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of
Exclamation Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLovesWTA View Post
It will be better for her to focus more on double. Any one knows how many double finals she won in past years?

Maybe after the end of her Singles career. And that other information is on the WTA site (career highlights) and on wikipedia.

* Mihai, Romanov, Simionescu, Ruzici, Cristea, Sandu, Spirlea, Dragomir, Ehritt-Vanc, Bogdan, Gallovits-Hall, Cadantu *

TT-s: #85 - W: Vero Beach, Astana, Antalya I ('14); TT-d: #96 - W: Astana, Landisville w/ Palin6o, Zawada w/ traddles ('14); RUP: Beinasco, Prague w/ Crux S, Contrexeville ('14);
Suicide: #33 - W: New Haven; RUP: Acapulco ('14); FITD: #8 - W: Rome, Baku ('14)
Nightcrawl3r is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #3003
country flag Djezonfly
Wimbledon Champion

Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute

Well if she wants to focus on doubles she needs a) to find a partner and STICK with them instead of changing every 2 weeks like she always does, b) to choose someone like Shvedova, Mladenovic or Groenefeld aka a tall girl with a booming serve and heavy groundstrokes.
Djezonfly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 04:08 AM   #3004
country flag DanLovesWTA

DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djezonfly View Post
Well if she wants to focus on doubles she needs a) to find a partner and STICK with them instead of changing every 2 weeks like she always does, b) to choose someone like Shvedova, Mladenovic or Groenefeld aka a tall girl with a booming serve and heavy groundstrokes.
Not necesary to have BBB team partner in double to be succesful.
Sorana Cirstea,Jelena Jankovic,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Ana Ivanovic,Caroline Wozniacki,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitova,Flavia Pennetta,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Safarova,Madison Keys,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Donna Vekic,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwanska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic,Camila Giorgi,Zarina Diyas.
Deserve my appreciation: Steffi Graf, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Na Li.
DanLovesWTA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 05:01 AM   #3005
country flag DanLovesWTA

DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute DanLovesWTA has a reputation beyond repute

The queen of double won another final Niculescu M. / Zakopalova K def. Raymond L. / Zhang S. 6-2, 6-7, 10-8
Sorana Cirstea,Jelena Jankovic,Samantha Stosur,Victoria Azarenka,Sabine Lisicki,Ana Ivanovic,Caroline Wozniacki,Monica Niculescu,Petra Kvitova,Flavia Pennetta,Belinda Bencic,Irina-Camelia Begu,Lucie Safarova,Madison Keys,Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Donna Vekic,Angelique Kerber,Elina Svitolina,Agnieszka Radwanska,Venus Williams,Andrea Petkovic,Camila Giorgi,Zarina Diyas.
Deserve my appreciation: Steffi Graf, Elena Dementieva, Justine Henin, Kim Clijsters, Na Li.
DanLovesWTA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 05:51 AM   #3006
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Agree with this except I also agree with DanLovesWTA that Monica's partner doesn't necessarily have to be a big strong powerhitter. She simply needs to be a good doubles player than Monica jells with. As a fan of Slava, of course that is a partnership I have always thought would work and I have hoped this team would materialise for a long time. The one time they did play together they did pretty well.

But the main thing is she just needs to find a stable partner and once that happens and she starts getting into the deep end of doubles events regularly that is going to help her skills in singles immeasurably.

I don't think this is a matter of singles vs doubles. I believe the two complement each other. I definitely want Monica to focus more on doubles but one reason is because I believe this is what she needs to improve in singles too. Playing doubles regularly is a great way to keep one's serve in good shape and even more it keeps a player sharp at the forecourt. And Monica needs to be on her game at the net to be effective in singles. She doesn't have big groundies so being able to finish off points at the net is essential for her.

Finally, I am really am hoping this partnership with Kookie lasts. Let's look at this....in Monica's 1st 6 years on the WTA tour she won 2 WTA titles. Now in two weeks of her 7th season on the WTA tour she has already doubled that total with 2 titles in the 1st two weeks of the year. This team is kicking ass and I really hope they keep kicking it.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Jan 11th, 2014 at 05:57 AM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #3007
country flag Belle de Jour

Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute Belle de Jour has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The queen of double won another final Niculescu M. / Zakopalova K def. Raymond L. / Zhang S. 6-2, 6-7, 10-8
Such a close one. Well done girls! Keep those titles coming
Belle de Jour is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM   #3008
country flag Djezonfly
Wimbledon Champion

Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Not necesary to have BBB team partner in double to be succesful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
Agree with this except I also agree with DanLovesWTA that Monica's partner doesn't necessarily have to be a big strong powerhitter
I just don't trust Kookie on the long run But so far they seem to be proving me wrong.

Go for Singapore gals
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #3009
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just don't trust Kookie on the long run But so far they seem to be proving me wrong.

Go for Singapore gals
We have over the last few years seen plenty of very successful doubles teams made up of two, shall we say, diminutive players. Who is currently the number 1 ranked doubles team in the world? Oh yes, Errani and Vinci. They do alright without a Groenefeld on the team. Then you have all the Asian teams in the last few years and of course coming up you have Barty and Dellaqua. A big power girl on a team just isn't necessary. What is important is that if there isn't a power player on the team both girls can return well and volley well. Monica certainly does both of these things just fine. And Zakopalova is a vet, who certainly has developed some fine skills along the way too.

Only worry about her is her attitude. She does seem go through fazes where she stops caring about tennis. But as long as she is committed she is a fine player and I see no reason why she can't be an excellent partner for Monica.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 01:07 PM   #3010
country flag Nightcrawl3r

Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of Nightcrawl3r has much to be proud of

Congrats for the Doubles title.

But plays on Monday at the AO . WTF !?

* Mihai, Romanov, Simionescu, Ruzici, Cristea, Sandu, Spirlea, Dragomir, Ehritt-Vanc, Bogdan, Gallovits-Hall, Cadantu *

TT-s: #85 - W: Vero Beach, Astana, Antalya I ('14); TT-d: #96 - W: Astana, Landisville w/ Palin6o, Zawada w/ traddles ('14); RUP: Beinasco, Prague w/ Crux S, Contrexeville ('14);
Suicide: #33 - W: New Haven; RUP: Acapulco ('14); FITD: #8 - W: Rome, Baku ('14)
Nightcrawl3r is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 01:51 PM   #3011
country flag Djezonfly
Wimbledon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shvedbarilescu View Post
We have over the last few years seen plenty of very successful doubles teams made up of two, shall we say, diminutive players. Who is currently the number 1 ranked doubles team in the world? Oh yes, Errani and Vinci. They do alright without a Groenefeld on the team. Then you have all the Asian teams in the last few years and of course coming up you have Barty and Dellaqua. A big power girl on a team just isn't necessary. What is important is that if there isn't a power player on the team both girls can return well and volley well. Monica certainly does both of these things just fine. And Zakopalova is a vet, who certainly has developed some fine skills along the way too.

Only worry about her is her attitude. She does seem go through fazes where she stops caring about tennis. But as long as she is committed she is a fine player and I see no reason why she can't be an excellent partner for Monica.
You are absolutely right that two petite players can make a great team. But as far as Monica is concerned, most times when she had a durable partnership (by that I mean more than 2 tournaments) with another petite yet accomplished doubles player (King and Erakovic come to mind), the results have been quite disappointing. And since, IIRC, she's friends with both those players, I figured that the failure of their partnerships had more to do with their playing styles not matching.

On the other hand, the partnership that has brought Monica the most success in recent years was with inexperienced and probably poorly motivated Princess Begu, who corresponds to the kind of players I described earlier.

So that's my theory But I guess Monica winning back to back tournaments with Kookie destroys that theory My only concern is, like you said, Kookie's lack of reliability. I mean, the girl is downright bipolar... That said Monica has some mental issues of her own. So I guess 2 wrongs can make a right in this case

As for her match vs. Peer, I saw that they played an awful lot of doubles together back in the day. Are they friends ? Did thay have a falling out ? Either way I think it could be an epic match ā la Niculescu/Cornet
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #3012
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As for her match vs. Peer, I saw that they played an awful lot of doubles together back in the day. Are they friends ? Did thay have a falling out ? Either way I think it could be an epic match ā la Niculescu/Cornet
This is what the match I was thinking of as well when I read about her R1 opponent.

Monica + GS matches + player with useless forehand that can't create pace one her own = epic mess.

Not the match I want to follow on scoreboard
Curcubeu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #3013
country flag Djezonfly
Wimbledon Champion

Her match is on court 7, so it won't be telivised, will it ?
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 08:49 PM   #3014
Everybody's a star!!!

Quote:
You are absolutely right that two petite players can make a great team. But as far as Monica is concerned, most times when she had a durable partnership (by that I mean more than 2 tournaments) with another petite yet accomplished doubles player (King and Erakovic come to mind), the results have been quite disappointing. And since, IIRC, she's friends with both those players, I figured that the failure of their partnerships had more to do with their playing styles not matching.

On the other hand, the partnership that has brought Monica the most success in recent years was with inexperienced and probably poorly motivated Princess Begu, who corresponds to the kind of players I described earlier.

So that's my theory But I guess Monica winning back to back tournaments with Kookie destroys that theory My only concern is, like you said, Kookie's lack of reliability. I mean, the girl is downright bipolar... That said Monica has some mental issues of her own. So I guess 2 wrongs can make a right in this case

King/Niculescu didn't do too bad as team. They got to the 3rd round in the 3 slams they played together and actually reached the semifinals in Miami. They didn't do that well last year but I think neither of them were playing their best doubles at the time, certainly Monica didn't seem to have her heart in doubles last year at all.

Interesting that probably the best doubles tournament Monica played last year was in Eastbourne, where she beat the number 2 and number 3 seeds to make the final. That also happened to be the 1st, and one of only 2, tournaments that Monica played that year with Klara Zakopalova.

As for Monica and Peer they also made a Prem Manditory/5 semi in Montreal, as well as the quarters in RG. And Monica also has a pretty good record with Yung-Jan Chan. Yeah true, Monica and Marina have never had much success together in doubles at WTA level but overall I think she does okay with players regardless of their size providing that they are decent doubles players. Maybe with Erakovic they were too good friends or... well I don't know. Those two did do well together in juniors though.

As for Monica and Peer's relationship, I think they are friends and I haven't heard anything to suggest they have had a falling out. That said I don't know much about Monica's social life except that I believe Monica is friends with a lot of the players on the tour as she seems to be a pretty bubbly friendly social individual.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #3015
Everybody's a star!!!

Quote:
Her match is on court 7, so it won't be telivised, will it ?
Yeah, I think court 6 is televised and court 8 is televised but not court 7.