The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu - Page 16 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #226
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

Absolutely horrible singles draw for Monica. She got Magda Rybarikova. Monica beat Magda last year in the 1st round of the qualies. I loved that match and I remembered thinking at the time that next year both would be in the main draw. I didn't imagine it would again be against each other.

As mentioned Monica did beat Magda last year but Magda is playing so much better this year, I have seen all three of her qualifying matches and she is playing great, I expected her to get to the 3rd or 4th round the way she was playing. I know Monica can play great on grass too even though she had a couple of disappointing losses on grass so far this year. It is just a shame these two incredibly talented shotmakers both with such amazing and entertaining games should be drawn together for a 2nd year in a row.

Good luck Monica. I want you to win this and have a great tournament.

Old Jun 20th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #227
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

I think its a pretty good first up draw for Monica, kittykings prediction is Monica win 6-3 6-4
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #228
country flag teo_honey

teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future

Hope you're right, but seeing her recent results I think it will be much harder than that.

SORANA CIRSTEA
~Haide MONICA & Edina!~
teo_honey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 01:49 PM   #229
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by teo_honey View Post
Hope you're right, but seeing her recent results I think it will be much harder than that.
Me too. I saw their match last year and it was a wonderful match but I could tell that both players as entertaining as they were, were far from the finished article. A year later and the they are both much better players but even now they still have further to improve. That said Magda has been playing absolutely awesome this week and it is going to require a fabulous performance from Monica to beat her. Of course Monica can do it but she is going to have to play at the very top of her game throughout and not let up or lose consentration for one second. As I said before, as much as I love Magda, I want Monica to win this.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM   #230
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

I think the draw is alright. If Monica plays well enough, she could perhaps go as far as the 4th round.

R128: Rybarikova, who as Chris said Monica did beat on grass last year.
R64: Szavay, who is very inexperienced on grass or Garbin, who on grass =
R32: Schiavone, Medina-Garrigues, Yan, Paszek- all winnable matches for sure.
R16: Well Monica caused hell for JJ in Paris, so why not for Ana here?

Her draw could have been ALOT worse than this. I look for Monica to win her 1st grand slam MD singles match next week.

Doubles draw is not so good. Her and Sorana should be able to get by Cibulkova/Kleybanova (50-50 match). But in the 2nd round they draw world no. 3's Peschke/Stubbs, who just beat Raymond/Stosur 6-1 6-2.
Dave. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #231
Everybody's a star!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave. View Post
I think the draw is alright. If Monica plays well enough, she could perhaps go as far as the 4th round.

R128: Rybarikova, who as Chris said Monica did beat on grass last year.
R64: Szavay, who is very inexperienced on grass or Garbin, who on grass =
R32: Schiavone, Medina-Garrigues, Yan, Paszek- all winnable matches for sure.
R16: Well Monica caused hell for JJ in Paris, so why not for Ana here?

Her draw could have been ALOT worse than this. I look for Monica to win her 1st grand slam MD singles match next week.

Doubles draw is not so good. Her and Sorana should be able to get by Cibulkova/Kleybanova (50-50 match). But in the 2nd round they draw world no. 3's Peschke/Stubbs, who just beat Raymond/Stosur 6-1 6-2.
I know what you mean about the draw looking alright. Once past the 1st round it is alright, hey it's actually quite nice relatively speaking. I also think the winner of Monica vs Magda has a really excellent shot at the 4th round. But dammit I just hate this 1st round. Having seen how well Magda is playing I do think it really is a toughy.

I hope you are right. It would be great to see Monica have a brilliant slam and to be able to watch her do it.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM   #232
country flag Dave.
Winner

Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute Dave. has a reputation beyond repute

Mon 2-4 down as match is to be completed tommorow

Good luck Monica, give it your all

Chris, have you managed to see any of this match. If so, how was Monica playing?
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:17 AM   #233
Everybody's a star!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave. View Post
Mon 2-4 down as match is to be completed tommorow

Good luck Monica, give it your all

Chris, have you managed to see any of this match. If so, how was Monica playing?
Monica took a while to get into the match, although a lot of this had to do with the great play by Magda. In the 2nd set Monica got into an amazing groove and her underspin slice start causing Magda a lot of trouble. One could see she was concerned. The 3rd set has been some of the most amazing tennis I have seen this year with both women giving it their all and brilliant point after brilliant point. Both girls are serving well, making fabulous approach shots, great volleys, lobs, drop shots. I also have to say I'm really pleased with how much Monica has improved her serve. Last year it was inconsistant and sometimes a bit of a liability. Now it is definately a strength. Because both girls can hit hard but also have immense touch and also both girls have great creativity and can hit such a variety of different testing shots both girls are being really tested in terms of how well they can improvise when they are stretched and it must be said passing the tests very well.

Quite simply the match has got better and better. It's has been as entertaining as any tennis I have seen this year. Probably more so. The winner of the match really should make the 4th round. I hope it will be Monica but as thing stand right now it will be tough. The 3rd set has been ultra competitive with only one break. That came after a long game and it must be said Magda played some super points to eventually get the break.

For Monica to win this match now she can't afford another slow start. Her forehand slice, which has done a lot of damage and caused Magda fits must be working from the very start.

The only criticisms I would have of Monica would be that her body language still doesn't convey the confidence it should. She always looks discouraged even when she has won the point with a great shot. She often acts like she doesn't believe she can win even when her play suggests otherwise. I really hope she can do something about this. She also needs to keep focus better as it has been Monica who has made the most errors and some of them have been pretty sloppy and careless and in a match of such high quality as this those errors are always going to be very crucial. She will need to play an outstanding game to break Magda to keep this match alive. She most definately is capable but it will be tough.

I like Magda a lot. She is playing amazing tennis. She is so graceful and, like Monica, her game is so suited to grass. But it didn't take long watching this match before I knew in my heart I wanted Monica to win. What Monica does with a racquet is just beyond belief. She just has a very special game that is like nothing else. And she is able to make tennis into something so much more fun the the usual one pace back and foward baseline hitting seen in most women's matches.

Win or lose, with this match Monica has definately now firmly secured her place as my favourite player.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Jun 24th, 2008 at 06:27 AM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #234
country flag teo_honey

teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future teo_honey has a brilliant future

Great report! thanks!

SORANA CIRSTEA
~Haide MONICA & Edina!~
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM   #235
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute

Monica won 4 games in a row today and took 1-6 6-3 6-4 victory.
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #236
country flag Dave.
Winner

Monica

So happy for you! The way she played at the French Open, she fully deserves to win a Grand Slam match.

Thanks for the report Chris
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #237
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the report Chris

Well done Monica!!! Great comeback!!! If she wants to play at the Olympics then she will need alot of credibility.........Round of 16 at Wimbledon would definately boost her chances!!!
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #238
Everybody's a star!!!

What I say today was absolutely awesome folks!!!

Today Monica played 4 games of absolutely almost impossibly brilliant virtually perfect tennis to beat Magda Rybarikova. The standard of Monica's tennis today was just out of this world. Magda did nothing wrong. She fought hard in almost all the points which were highly competitive. But Magda could only win three of these points over the four games. One was a return of serve winner by Magda off a very decent serve by Monica. The other two points Monica lost were points that would deserve to be in the highlight reel of a Grand Slam final. Basically Magda had to play like a top 10 player just to win a point. As for Monica, she made no errors in the entire four games. Most of the points were won on Monica's winners. She was hitting her forehand slice to perfection but all of her other shots were working too. She could hit hard and flat, add topspin, anything. She attacked the net at every opportunity and was deadly there making some incredibly difficult volleys. Sometimes words can't convey how good something is and that is how I feel writing this. Nothing I write can sum up just how great Monica played today. I wish I had those four games on video to show people so they would believe me. I could watch such a video again and again. It was that good.

Magda actually played really well over the four games but while she hit a lot of super shots everything came back. Most points were 12+ strokes. But it wasn't baseline to baseline at all. There was lots of netplay, lobs, overheads that got returned, err well Magda's overheads anyway.

One unfortunate thing I should mention, after Monica broke, held and the broke again, winning 12 out of 13 points, Magda called an injury timeout to disrupt Monica before serving for the match. As I've said before I like Magda but this was a bit disappointing. But Monica didn't let it affect her and won to 30. Despite the bit of rather bad sportsmanship from Magda I did feel very sorry for her after the match. She played some fine tennis and yet she had only three points to show for it, a match that she must have expected to win overnight was taken from her in a brutal manner. After the match, Magda looked shattered and nobody could blame her.

I started this thread last year after seeing Monica in the Wimbledon qualies at Roehampton. I titled the thread "The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu". Never before have a felt more justified in doing so. The tennis I saw Monica play today was truly amazing and remarkable.

Next up is Szavay. I didn't see Szavay's 1st match so I can't say how well she is playing, but I know how well Monica is playing. I also know that the bookmakers rate Monica as a real longshot to win. I however believe this is Monica's match to win and will be very suprised if she doesn't.

Oh, one last thing. I was a bit disappointed that after seeing Monica put in such a great performance today there was no thread to acknowledge the win in the general forum. I hope that doesn't happen when she beats Szavay.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Jun 24th, 2008 at 11:30 PM.
Shvedbarilescu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:17 PM   #239
country flag teo_honey

Thanks again for the good report! That won't happen IF she beats Szavay. So good luck to her tomorrow!

SORANA CIRSTEA
~Haide MONICA & Edina!~
Old Jun 25th, 2008, 03:24 AM   #240
country flag kittyking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCHorse View Post
What I say today was absolutely awesome folks!!!

Today Monica played 4 games of absolutely almost impossibly brilliant virtually perfect tennis to beat Magda Rybarikova. The standard of Monica's tennis today was just out of this world. Magda did nothing wrong. She fought hard in almost all the points which were highly competitive. But Magda could only win three of these points over the four games. One was a return of serve winner by Magda off a very decent serve by Monica. The other two points Monica lost were points that would deserve to be in the highlight reel of a Grand Slam final. Basically Magda had to play like a top 10 player just to win a point. As for Monica, she made no errors in the entire four games. Most of the points were won on Monica's winners. She was hitting her forehand slice to perfection but all of her other shots were working too. She could hit hard and flat, add topspin, anything. She attacked the net at every opportunity and was deadly there making some incredibly difficult volleys. Sometimes words can't convey how good something is and that is how I feel writing this. Nothing I write can sum up just how great Monica played today. I wish I had those four games on video to show people so they would believe me. I could watch such a video again and again. It was that good.

Magda actually played really well over the four games but while she hit a lot of super shots everything came back. Most points were 12+ strokes. But it wasn't baseline to baseline at all. There was lots of netplay, lobs, overheads that got returned, err well Magda's overheads anyway.

One unfortunate thing I should mention, after Monica broke, held and the broke again, winning 12 out of 13 points, Magda called an injury timeout to disrupt Monica before serving for the match. As I've said before I like Magda but this was a bit disappointing. But Monica didn't let it affect her and won to 30. Despite the bit of rather bad sportsmanship from Magda I did feel very sorry for her after the match. She played some fine tennis and yet she had only three points to show for it, a match that she must have expected to win overnight was taken from her in a brutal manner. After the match, Magda looked shattered and nobody could blame her.

I started this thread last year after seeing Monica in the Wimbledon qualies at Roehampton. I titled the thread "The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu". Never before have a felt more justified in doing so. The tennis I saw Monica play today was truly amazing and remarkable.

Next up is Szavay. I didn't see Szavay's 1st match so I can't say how well she is playing, but I know how well Monica is playing. I also know that the bookmakers rate Monica as a real longshot to win. I however believe this is Monica's match to win and will be very suprised if she doesn't.

Oh, one last thing. I was a bit disappointed that after seeing Monica put in such a great performance today there was no thread to acknowledge the win in the general forum. I hope that doesn't happen when she beats Szavay.
Agnes leads H2H 2-0, although both of these matches were on Clay. Everyones post seem to suggest that Agnes isn't very comfortable on Grass, so that plus the fact that Monica is in incredible form sounds like a good combination to make round 3