The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #1
country flag Shvedbarilescu
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute
The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

If anyone deserves a thread in the new Romanian Forum, it is this girl. Monica Niculescu is currently ranked 205 in the World but will be very close to her career high of 188 when the rankings after Wimbledon come out. She is not yet 20 years old and so she still has plenty of time to get that ranking up and become a fixture within the top 100.

Personally I for one hope very much that she does. Monica is an exceptional unique talent in the tennis world as anyone who has seen will attest. Almost certainly she has the most unusual game with the top 200 (okay she 205 right now but I'm quite sure she won't be out the top 200 again for a very long time).

Describing her playing style is not easy but I will try. Both her forehand and backhand are played sometimes with one hand and sometimes with two. When she hits with two hands it usually means she is going for more pace whereas when she hits with one hand it usually means she going for an offpace shot of some kind often with underspin. She hits some very strange slices that I really couldn't begin to describe. She is also an exceptional volleyer with amazing improvisational skills and has great touch on dropshots and a nice lob. Quite simply she has so many shots at her disposal that one never knows what is coming next. It must be very hard indeed to get any sort of rhythm against her. This is just one attempt to describe the strange unusual play of Monica Niculescu but it would certainly be fun to read other descriptions of her game within this thread.

Monica is a player who should have the support of everyone who loves Women's tennis but gets tired of loads of women with the same style just wacking the ball back to each other as hard as they can. For fans who love slice and touch shots, who prefer the artistry of Fabrice Santoro to the ball bashing of most of the modern game, Monica Niculescu is the girl for you.

Lets support her in this thread, because tennis will be so much richer with someone with her unique and special skills in the mix.

Last edited by Shvedbarilescu : Jul 7th, 2007 at 11:44 PM.
Shvedbarilescu is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #2
country flag Natash.
:(

Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Amazing and Remarkable Monica Niculescu

I saw her play Maria Kirilenko. Her technique is very unique and it must've been a match for Kirilenko and everyone who's played her. But all in all, her game was very fun to watch.

I think her serve needs to improve to go higher but besides that, I'm sure her skills may trouble the top players. I'm glad to see that alot of these Romanian girls aren't ballbashers.

Good luck. Monica!
Natash. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #3
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute

Monica in $25,000 Bucharest

R1: beat Oksana Teplyakova 61 67(3) 61
R2: beat Cristina-Andreea Mitu 75 76(8)
QF: lost to Dia Evtimova 57 76(7) 36
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #4
country flag rated_next

rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute rated_next has a reputation beyond repute

She is one of my fav players right now as well.
rated_next is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #5
country flag PerfectForm

PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future

Anyone has a vid of Monica playing? really curious about her game

Morita. Pavlyuchenkova. Halep. Antoniychuk. Wozniacki. Vesnina. Chakvetadze. Jankovic. Ivanovic. Puig

Larcher D B. Diyas. Orlik. E Bogdan. Khromacheva. Ishizu. Kovalets. Kichenoks. Cepelova
PerfectForm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #6
Everybody's a star!!!

Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute Shvedbarilescu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rated_next View Post
She is one of my fav players right now as well.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectForm View Post
Anyone has a vid of Monica playing? really curious about her game
I wish. I really do.

Anyway Monica has an important tournament this week in that she is the defending champion. It is a $25,000 Challenger and it is in Darmstadt. The draw doesn't seem to be out yet but it looks like she should be seeded in the top 4.

Good luck Monica.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 06:47 PM   #7
country flag Meelis
Team WTAworld

Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute Meelis has a reputation beyond repute

She did beat Anna Koumantou 63 64 and Schiechtl 62 61, but in quarters lost to compatriot Magda Mihalache 46 36.
Meelis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Everybody's a star!!!

It looks like Monica is starting to really put her game together. Today she won the ITF in Turkey, and she won it in style too. Monica won all five of her matches in straight sets and lost only 19 games over the 10 sets. This is also her 2nd final in her last 3 events.

Next year I really do expect her to break through to the top 100 and possibly the top 50. And the top 100 will be so much richer with her original and unorthodox game in the mix.
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #9
country flag Natash.

Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute Natash. has a reputation beyond repute

It's great to see her playing well. She's such a unique player and others deserve to see that.

I loved it when Kirilenko described her as female Santoro.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #10
Everybody's a star!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeli View Post
It's great to see her playing well. She's such a unique player and others deserve to see that.

I loved it when Kirilenko described her as female Santoro.
Masha is spot on. And can there be a better player to be compared to than Fabrice. I sure can't think of any. And Monica is certainly worthy of the comparison.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #11
country flag PerfectForm

PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future PerfectForm has a brilliant future

Still havnt got a chance to see her unique game. Anyone has any clips ? Thanks

Morita. Pavlyuchenkova. Halep. Antoniychuk. Wozniacki. Vesnina. Chakvetadze. Jankovic. Ivanovic. Puig

Larcher D B. Diyas. Orlik. E Bogdan. Khromacheva. Ishizu. Kovalets. Kichenoks. Cepelova
PerfectForm is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM   #12
country flag onis80

onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light onis80 is a glorious beacon of light

Monica made the top 200! But still no pictures of her in this thread or on her WTA profile. Does anybody have a good picture?
onis80 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 07:14 AM   #13
Everybody's a star!!!

WOW!!! How about that then?

Monica has just won her 2nd ITF in a row. Two weeks ago she lost only 19 games in 5 matches on indoor hard in Istanbul. Today she proved she can do exactly the same thing on outdoor hard, losing just 19 games in 5 matches in Port Pirie, Australia.

Because the manner of the victories has been so consistantly impressive I thought it would be nice just to list the entire winning streak right here as that says more than words really can as to how well this girl is playing.

Istanbul, Oct 23 1R (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) v (WC)Melis Sezer (TUR) 60 61
Istanbul, Oct 24 2R (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) v (Q)Tinatin Kavlashvili (GEO) 61 63
Istanbul, Oct 26 QF (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) v Georgie Stoop (GBR) 62 64
Istanbul, Oct 27 SF (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) v (2)Katie O'Brien (GBR) 64 62
Istanbul, Oct 28 F (8)Monica Niculescu (ROU) d. Oxana Lyubtsova (UKR) 62 60

Port Pirie, Nov 7 1R (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. (Q)Lauren Breadmore (AUS) 64 62
Port Pirie, Nov 8 2R (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. Georgie Stoop (GBR) 63 62
Port Pirie, Nov 9 QF (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. (Q)Aleksandra Srndovic (SWE) 61 60
Port Pirie, Nov 10 SF (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. Nicole Thyssen (NED) 63 61
Port Pirie, Nov 11 F (4)Monica Niculescu (ROU) def. I-Hsuan Hwang (TPE) 61 62

Pretty impressive, I'd say.

The ITF tour must be very difficult for all the players, the costs are very high, the prize money very low. Matches are poorly attended. No one wants to be there, everyone is trying to escape onto the main tour. And it is not easy, everyone is playing for their life. But the best way to escape and get on to the riches and excitement of the main WTA tour is simply to win all your matches. This is obviously the route Monica has chosen to take.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #14
country flag Natash.

Monica Great job.

Not the best pictures I think but here.

I'll see if I can find a video of her match against Kirilenko to post.
Old Nov 11th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #15
country flag Natash.

Maria vs Niculescu :: Dubai 1st Round

part1: http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=J4HEP520
part2: http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=6YYGAYX3