Evert/Navratilova or Graf/Seles ? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 31st, 2012, 09:43 PM   #1
country flag LightWarrior

LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute LightWarrior has a reputation beyond repute
Evert/Navratilova or Graf/Seles ?

I love watching women's tennis matches from the '80s and '90s and I've been watching a lot of RG finals lately, namely the 1985/86/90/92 finals and it struck me how much more enjoyable to watch the Nav/Evert matches are compared to Graf/Seles ones. There was tennis style, finesse, variety. Those two were like tennis teachers facing each other.
Advertisement

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM   #2
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all
Re: Evert/Navratilova or Graf/Seles ?

I do have to agree with you. I was recently watching what is a much overlooked classic - their 1981 US Open semi-final. Some of the rallies are incredible and are on the level of the very best of men's tennis. Rather like their other grand-slam encounter of late 1981 at the Australian Open. I think that was one of the best periods of their rivalry, because Martina was firing up but not quite ready to pull away, while Chris was beginning to fall back down after her "return to the throne" (aka the second coming) of 1980-81, so they were actually quite evenly matched. What also makes these two matches so great is that Martina shows she can play exquisite groundstrokes and even ridiculous passing shots, while Chris cames off with great reaction volleys and generally nails every overhead, so it is not just a case of baseliner v net-rusher. You really get an all-round stunning game wherever they are on court - and in many rallies they manage to cover and use every inch of the court. There was one stroke in the 1981 US Open semi-final that I remember: Evert was a bit peed off and just hit out on a forehand, adding tons of sidespin for an outright, incredible winner. Also, I forgot that Martina was up 5-2 in the first set, Evert clawed back to 5-5, before Martina took it.

Back to the question, though: I wonder if this is just a generation thing? Maybe others think nothing beats a Court v King match (or maybe even a good old Wade v Durr claycourt extravaganza?!? ).
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 08:59 AM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Graf/Seles. I like the quicker pace of shots and how usual both their games are.

Navratilova is a very textbook S&V and Evert a textbook baseliner. You are right they're like tennis teachers but that is boring for me.
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 11:57 PM   #4
country flag thrust

thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute thrust has a reputation beyond repute

Recently I saw some clips of Graf-Navratilova. Great and exciting tennis!
thrust is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

It really comes down to a matter of taste. Some of the Graf-Seles matches were real barn burners (1992 French in particular for example), but for me the contrast of Evert/Navratilova tops it overall. Of course there were 5 times as many encounters to pick from with Chris and Martina-and they played in an era with more surfaces week in and week out.

Quote:
Recently I saw some clips of Graf-Navratilova. Great and exciting tennis!
I'll second Thrust. The 1986 US open semi still sends chills down my spine.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Actually I do prefer Graf/Navratilova.
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #7
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

If we're mixing and matching, definitely Evert/Seles. I love the two-handed stroke.
Old Aug 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #8
country flag S_Fahad

S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all S_Fahad is a name known to all

If I had to choose between a match up between these 4 players, I'd go with

1) Graf Navratilova
2) Graf Seles
3) Evert Navratilova
4) Seles Evert
5) Graf Evert
6) Seles Navratilova
S_Fahad is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #9
country flag SelesGOAT

SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all SelesGOAT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Fahad View Post
If I had to choose between a match up between these 4 players, I'd go with

1) Graf Navratilova
2) Graf Seles
3) Evert Navratilova
4) Seles Evert
5) Graf Evert
6) Seles Navratilova
Ugh you have to be kidding me on your 1 and 6. I think of all the 6 possible matchups Graf and Navratilova is the worst. It is basically just a battle of serves. Graf serves well and Martina does not, Graf keeps Navratilova at the baseline, overpowers her with forehands, Martina loses. Martina serves well and Graf does not, Martina is at the net all day, Graf's strength is not her passing game, she does not pass nearly as well as Evert or Seles, Martina wins. Basically whoever serves better is certain to win, boring.

Seles and Navratilova is probably my favorite of all the matchups. They have so many wonderful matches, especialy Wimbledon 92.
SelesGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote