Steffi Graf voted the best female player ever - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #1
country flag wallerstein

wallerstein is an unknown quantity at this point
Steffi Graf voted the best female player ever

Graf is the best female tennis player ever according to a ranking on rankopedia. She has a very narrow lead over Navratilova. Then come Chris Evert, Monica Seles, Margaret Court and Billie-Jean King. You can vote for your favorite player.
wallerstein is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #2
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steffi Graf voted the best female player ever

These polls usually mean nothing to me as they are generally voted by the youngsters who don't take into consideration the true legends of the past. And people love to vote for their personal favourites, regardless of the historical facts.

A list of the true greats, which cannot be easily ranked in terms of who was the greatest player ever, would have to include (in chronological order):

Lenglen
Wills
Connolly
Court
Evert
Navratilova
Graf

All of them have a claim to being the greatest ever. I like to suggest they were the greatest of the greats and all of them deserve an equal billing on the very top rung of tennis achievement.

King also deserves a special mention because of her remarkable WImbledon and doubles record, and I always give Seles an honorary mention as prior to the stabbing she was headed for this elite group.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #3
country flag wallerstein

wallerstein is an unknown quantity at this point

If you give a special mention to King for her Wimbledon record,you must do the same for Navratilova, who won 9 singles titles and 11 doubles titles!
wallerstein is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #4
country flag lecciones

lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
These polls usually mean nothing to me as they are generally voted by the youngsters who don't take into consideration the true legends of the past. And people love to vote for their personal favourites, regardless of the historical facts.

A list of the true greats, which cannot be easily ranked in terms of who was the greatest player ever, would have to include (in chronological order):

Lenglen
Wills
Connolly
Court
Evert
Navratilova
Graf

All of them have a claim to being the greatest ever. I like to suggest they were the greatest of the greats and all of them deserve an equal billing on the very top rung of tennis achievement.

King also deserves a special mention because of her remarkable WImbledon and doubles record, and I always give Seles an honorary mention as prior to the stabbing she was headed for this elite group.
I totally agree, all of those in that list are the greatest of the great and all have strengths that are unique to them for example navratilova's amazing title records and all around accomplishment in singles and doubles, Evert's astonishing win ratio and winning streaks, Grafs no. of weeks no.1 and her GS titles, etc... I do not think you can rank without being subjective, so I'd rather not rank them at all but you can always have your personal favourite and I think Evert is the best!!
5 Singles Grandslams, 9 Doubles Grandslam, 1 Mixed Grandslam
2x Single, 2x Double WTA Tour Championships Winner (2 S-RUP)
209 weeks at no.1 (4th place, max consecutive: 80&73), 3x no.1 year ender
No.1 both in singles & doubles for 35 weeks. (1 of 5)
Calendar Doubles Grandslam Winner (1 of 4)/Rank 4 or higher - 6 straight yrs

Chris Evert Queen of the WTA!
18 Singles Grandslams (record 7 French) 16 Singles Grandslams Runner-up
157 Singles Titles, 7x no.1 year ender (never ranked lower than 4 in career: 18 yrs)
0.9 win ratio, 90% SF or better, 125 match win streak on clay
lecciones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #5
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallerstein View Post
If you give a special mention to King for her Wimbledon record,you must do the same for Navratilova, who won 9 singles titles and 11 doubles titles!
What did you miss? I already have Navratilova listed as an all time great if you re-read my post. I gave King a special mention because although I don't list her in my very elite group, I still wanted to give her a special mention because of her incredible Wimbledon record and doubles record.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #6
country flag Thanx4nothin

Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute Thanx4nothin has a reputation beyond repute

Sels should follow graf and then serena if we are going on a generational curve, mainly seles though.
I think with her serve and her athleticism, her power, her court mobility, I just think when she’s on, she’s the greatest player we’ve ever seen, ever. Now, whether her record is the greatest remains to be seen because she hasn’t retired yet. But I think she is really the greatest player. I have seen Martina and Steffi at their best. There are little chinks in those players’ armor, but it was a different era, where you didn’t need to be the perfect player.
Chris Evert
Thanx4nothin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #7
calabar

calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of calabar has much to be proud of

I would vote ever so slightly for Navratilova over Graf because of her all-around performance, singles, doubles and mixed-doubles. Yes, I realise the word greatest is subjective, but when you look at Martina's record OVERALL, it's reall compelling for making her THE top player OF HER GENERATION.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Until the philosophy which holds one race
Superior and another inferior
Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war, me say war...

- Bob Marley/Haile Selassie
calabar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 02:56 PM   #8
country flag The Kaz
Your fav could never....

The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute The Kaz has a reputation beyond repute

Court was better than both Navratilova AND Graf

63 GS Titles

Samantha Stosur: US Open Champion 2011

Kerber // Barthel // Jankovic // Dellacqua // Pironkova // Arn // Cohen
Dulgheru // Scheepers // Kanepi // Cetkovska // Lisicki // Niculescu // Errani

The Kaz is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #9
country flag Serena!

Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of Serena! has much to be proud of

why is kim clijsters so high....above venus, lenglen, etc....she won ONE slam. Generally this list is good tho...shouldnt court be higher tho?

US99|FR02|WIM02|US02|AUS03|WIM03|AUS05
AUS07|US08|AUS09|WIM09|AUS10|WIM10|WIM12|USO12

Serena! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #10
country flag MistyGrey

MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute

We already know she is the greatest, but thanks for pointing that out.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #11
country flag Martian KC

Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute Martian KC has a reputation beyond repute

No, just no.
[Svetlana Kuznetsova] [Ai Sugiyama] [Su-Wei Hsieh] [Gisela Dulko]

[Maja Matezvic] [Karolina Sprem] [Eleni Daniilidou] [Maria Kirilenko] [Jelena Jankovic]
[Tathiana Garbin] [Timea Bacsinszky] [Kaia Kanepi] [Na Li] [Vera Douchevina]

The Pompous Member Of The Justine Philistines' Society™
Martian 4 Life
Martian KC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:09 PM   #12
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure the guy who stabbed Seles is celebrating. He got what he wanted.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #13
country flag MistyGrey

MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute MistyGrey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I'm sure the guy who stabbed Seles is celebrating. He got what he wanted.

He probably gets to celebrate a lot, since Steffi wins most of these GOAT polls.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #14
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

That's why he stabbed her. Seles was a dominate #1, and he wanted Graf #1.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #15
country flag Pleasantville

Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice Pleasantville is just really nice

ewww I cannot believe that skanky bitch justine is currently ranked higher than Hingis, Davenport and Venus! Davenport and Hingis has won way more tournaments than Justine has. Ewww
Pleasantville is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote