AKGUL! The Gentle Giant's Wildly Enthusiastic Fan Zone - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #31
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AKGUL! The Gentle Giant's Wildly Enthusiastic Fan Zone

yeah. hopefully akgul can win some maindraw matches. her potential first round opponents aren't too bad, at least.
Advertisement

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #32
country flag iPatty

iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute iPatty has a reputation beyond repute

akgul won her first round match today over connie hsu 6-1, 6-3.

she didn't lose her serve once the entire match, saving the one breakpoint she faced.
she faces another american, bethanie mattek, in the second round.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #33
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, that was lucky, drawing a wild card for her first main draw match. Mattek will be a tougher test for Akgul, so I'm glad she didn't have to work too hard today. I'm sure that one will be on center court, like today's match. GOOOOOOOOO AKGUL, YOU CAN DO IT!
auntie janie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #34
country flag Kai

Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute Kai has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Akgul
Kai is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #35
country flag hakush...

hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of hakush... has much to be proud of

good luck Akgul
Old Jul 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #36
country flag iPatty

she plays second on center court.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #37
auntie janie

auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute auntie janie has a reputation beyond repute

Here we are in in a 3rd-set tiebreak in what has turned into a night match!

From a 4-1 lead to 4-3 now ...
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #38
auntie janie

5-3
5-4
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #39
auntie janie

6-4 .... AKGUL WINS!!! 26 75 76(4), in 2 hours, 12 minutes (not counting rain time!)

What a year for the Gentle Giant.

Last edited by auntie janie : Jul 20th, 2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #40
auntie janie

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...nnati-Open.php

Amanmuradova's best previous finish was reaching the finals of the Tier IV event at Tashkent in her home country in October 2005. She fought back from a 0-4 deficit in the third set to force the tiebreaker before winning the match.

"I was thinking I just have to keep fighting and do whatever I can," said Amanmuradova, who had to qualify for the main draw. "When it got to 4-2, I was thinking I just needed one more (service) break. She was tired. It was a long match for us. I knew she couldn't play the whole match as well as she had been playing. I had to fight and run down every ball."
Old Jul 20th, 2007, 05:05 PM   #41
auntie janie

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...707200364/1062

This player's up for a tall challenge

BY JASON WILLIAMS | ENQUIRER CONTRIBUTOR

MASON - At 6 feet 3, Akgul Amanmuradova has the distinction of being the tallest player on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour.

This week, she hopes to gain an identity through her play.

Amanmuradova has reached the quarterfinals of the Western & Southern Financial Group Women's Open, the deepest she has advanced in a tournament of this level. And she certainly earned it.

Having overcome a toothache and a bee sting during qualifying last weekend, Amanmuradova outlasted Bethanie Mattek 2-6, 7-5, 7-6 (4) in a marathon second-round match Thursday. Actual play lasted 2 hours, 12 minutes, with two rain delays that combined to last 2 hours, 21 minutes.

Plus, Amanmuradova was down 0-4 in the third set.

"I just kept fighting," said Amanmuradova.

That seems to be the story of her career.

Amanmuradova, 23, of Uzbekistan, never has been able to obtain a sponsor. Instead, she has been dependent on the Uzbekistan Tennis Federation, which pays for her expenses but reportedly takes 50 percent of her earnings.

"It's good to have their support," Amanmuradova said. "In our country, it's very difficult to get a sponsorship at my age. If you want sponsorship, you have to be 14, 15 years old. (Sponsors) just want the new players."

Amanmuradova grew up near a tennis club, but she said she didn't begin playing regularly until she was 10, which is considered late for players with professional aspirations. She actually first tried tennis when she was 7.

"I went to the swimming pool first," Amanmuradova said. "It was too deep. I was too scared. So I said to my parents, 'We're going to play tennis.' "

At 10, she became passionate about tennis after watching a tournament on television. Six years later, Amanmuradova tried her hand at basketball. As one of the tallest children in her class, the boys always asked her to play.

"They always had four (boys to play)," she said. "The fifth was always sick. He didn't really like sports. He was pretty fat. So the guys asked me if I could ... play."

Amanmuradova said the coach of the Uzbekistan junior national basketball team once tried to recruit her. No thanks, she said.

Amanmuradova, ranked 141st in the world, said her height helps her some in tennis.

"It helps with your serves," she said. "You just need two steps sometimes to reach the ball sometimes. But I can't move as fast as a short player."
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:10 AM   #42
auntie janie

Into the semis -- we knew you could do it, Akgul.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 12:23 AM   #43
country flag LegionArgentina

LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute LegionArgentina has a reputation beyond repute

Oh great

*Peng*Tanasurgarn*SuarezNavarro*Duarte*Martic*Ryba rikova*
*Irigoyen*Botto*Ormaechea*Pella*Lucero*Pereira*Tow nsend*

*Kurata*Gamiz*Perez*SaiSai Zheng*Errani*Ce*ForetzGacon*
.Podoroska.Bonardi.HaddadMaia.PerezRojas.Gonzalez.
*Furlanetto*Goncalves*Pigossi*AlvarezTeran*DuqueMa rino*
LegionArgentina is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 02:46 AM   #44
country flag iPatty

she talks.

GREAT stuff, akgul. maybe drake will go tomorrow and see you.
Old Jul 21st, 2007, 06:46 PM   #45
country flag andrewC

andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future andrewC has a brilliant future

aww good for Akgul
13 Doubles Titles (including 2004 Olympic Gold and 2008 AO Mixed)
Career High 77 (Singles) and 16 (Doubles)
andrewC is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote