Can any mods help here? or will this be closed soon? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #1
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future
Can any mods help here? or will this be closed soon?

Given the recent ruling regarding this topic, I'm really really really upset to see advertisements for 'Federer v Nadal - WATCH LIVE ON TV' and 'The Federer Book' at the top of every page in WTA World.

Could the mods please arrange for this to be removed please. The rules ARE that this site is supposedly for women's only tennis.

And it would be really nice if a mod is able to discuss this issue - most preferably in fluent English so as to avoid any misunderstandings of nuance due to language differences. I'm not trying to be nasty, just trying to work out the quickest route through some of these issues. Please help! We've asked for discussion of the issue before, but hasn't been allowed.

Thanks - I'm sure there are some helpful mods out there!

PS - another one of the reasons I worry about this thread being closed is here. Some mods just like to have their say and close the topic. If this is the rule of thumb here, where do we get any help from???

Last edited by GeeTee : May 15th, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 15th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #2
country flag QuicKyMonSter
Team WTAworld
Official Stalker

QuicKyMonSter has disabled reputation
Re: Can any mods help here? or will this be closed soon?

What's the big problem about it?!
QuicKyMonSter is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #3
country flag griffin
double-dog daredevil

griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute

Now, now...just because you don't get the answer you WANT doesn't mean we're not helpful

First, the Mod Squad has no control over the ads on the site.

That aside, there's a difference, imo between trying to channel discussions of men's tennis to a board created for that purpose, and allowing ads that create revenue to help support the site.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:22 PM   #4
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
Now, now...just because you don't get the answer you WANT doesn't mean we're not helpful
The only answer I want is a two-way (or more) discussion with some logic and some reasons. I'm not stupid enough to ignore wholly financial reasons (in fact the major raison d'etre for whomever created this site, I'd think, rather than any love of the sport) but I do get annoyed when moderators end discussions about fairly reasonable topics with glib comments and then closure of the thread.

Now that's NOT helpful, but - you're right - it's not the answer I want. If you could point me to a post in here where moderators have been actually helpful in helping posters UNDERSTAND rules rather than just enforcing said arbitary rules without any logical discussion, I'd be obliged... but I won't be holding my breath...
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #5
country flag griffin
double-dog daredevil

griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute griffin has a reputation beyond repute

I have a better idea. This HAS been discussed - over and over and over again.

YOU want an answer, how about YOU take the initiative to look through this forum?
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #6
country flag GeeTee

Quote:
I have a better idea. This HAS been discussed - over and over and over again.

YOU want an answer, how about YOU take the initiative to look through this forum?
I HAVE!!! I've seen lots of mods closing off topics or been unable to give an answer (or both) but the one thing I haven't seen yet is a mod actually being helpful to a poster.

That's why I was asking for the help of a moderator rather than glib answers - eg "This has been answered over and over". If you DO do a serach for (example) 'Federer' on here you get thousands of posts....., mostly irrelevant to your question....

Oh well, thanks for .......the usual...
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #7
country flag griffin
double-dog daredevil

Well, that's funny, because I did a quick search for men's tennis in B&E and came up with close to 50 hits (and the short answer's even in my first post).
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #8
country flag GeeTee

Does any mod in here actually try to answer a (ANY!!!!) question posed or do they all just go off on their own tangent and go off into 'four legs bad, two legs good' kinda mode???

All I' need is one or two ACTUAL references to mods HELPING people (not just a handle change, Sachaisastar....) by explaining things rather than just lecturing with a 'close topic' once they've had THEIR say.

Please don't even think of answering this without answering my original question(s). I'm sure there are plenty of other topics to add your nothing to.
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #9
country flag GeeTee

Quote:
Well, that's funny, because I did a quick search for men's tennis in B&E and came up with close to 50 hits (and the short answer's even in my first post).
Sorry Sacha - sorry I mean Griffin, perhaps I'm a lot dumber than you and the other mods in here, I just asked for a mod (and you were the only one to respond) to show me ONE example of how a mod has actually helped someone in here understand the rules. A question about men's tennis wasn't what I asked. Obviously, my error.....of course...
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #10
country flag Belco
TennisHaven

Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee View Post
The only answer I want is a two-way (or more) discussion with some logic and some reasons. I'm not stupid enough to ignore wholly financial reasons (in fact the major raison d'etre for whomever created this site, I'd think, rather than any love of the sport) but I do get annoyed when moderators end discussions about fairly reasonable topics with glib comments and then closure of the thread.

Now that's NOT helpful, but - you're right - it's not the answer I want. If you could point me to a post in here where moderators have been actually helpful in helping posters UNDERSTAND rules rather than just enforcing said arbitary rules without any logical discussion, I'd be obliged... but I won't be holding my breath...
im no mod but ill take a punt at answering ur question.
The reason the ad is there is for financial reasons. Forums aint cheap to run when they are as big as wtaworld and mentennisforums.

I assume atp masters series tv have stepped in with some financial support for them to display the advert so they can help keep wtaworld running smooth and fast. I dont see the big deal with it being there, if its supporting my favorite forum on the net.

Atleast its something tennis related and not a click here to win prizes or click here for a free ringtone or even click here for your free msn smileys (which will give u some nasty spyware ).

Would you also like the mtf logo on te right removed and the mtf link in the banner?

In the end its only an ad. Live with it!

p.s i think ur rude!
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #11
country flag GeeTee

Quote:
p.s i think ur rude!
well.....thanks for answering, but the thread - and its' intent - was "Can any mods help". I'd just like to speak with one MOD (ie not you???) who can discuss logic (and maybe answer ONE friggin question), rather than just bleating away.

I know all about financial reasons (see one of my posts above) but if you think I'm being rude, please post the exact sentence I posted that IS rude (and why, in logical terms).
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #12
country flag carot
Mean Admin Machine
Admeanistrator

carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute carot has a reputation beyond repute

hey geetee... you seem to have missed the answer from griffin, who's an admin on this site:

Quote:
That aside, there's a difference, imo between trying to channel discussions of men's tennis to a board created for that purpose, and allowing ads that create revenue to help support the site.
i can't discuss this topic with you myself seeing i'm not fluent in english. bummer for me!

[Once we were called secret admirers, now we are just called stalkers.]

[Restraining orders are just another way of saying I love you.]
carot is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM   #13
country flag Yasmine
Somewhere over the rainbow.

Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'll answer!

So what, to be helpful we just have to show off and post some kind of big announcement on the board saying "look what i've done" I've helped! Mods have been promoted, and it's not just for the sake of it, to make it look organised... As a matter of fact, every single mod in this place has at some point helped someone or the board getting cleaner. Everyone is doing their job as well as they can.
Yasmine is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #14
country flag Yasmine
Somewhere over the rainbow.

Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute Yasmine has a reputation beyond repute

On the problem of advert, the answer has been given to you and there is nothing more to add. Whether you like it or not.
Yasmine is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #15
country flag Belco
TennisHaven

Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute Belco has a reputation beyond repute

here are some examples of MODS helping users
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=297770
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=297766
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=297420
http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=297262

and much more where that came from!

wops some are name changes