Houston 1989: Seles d. Evert 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #31
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of
Re: Houston 1989: Seles d. Evert 3-6, 6-1, 6-4

I think that Temesvari was considered to be the most physically gifted of the lot (and not just in the looks department). From what I understand her game was not nearly as one dimensional as Rinaldi, Bassett, Bonder etc. However, injuries and I think her father got to her. She began defaulting a LOT in '84 and as you'll note in my book (Passing Shots!!!!) she even defaulted against Graf at Hilton Head in '85 because she was paid a visit by her Aunt Flo. Not particularly professional.

I think during '83 when she really hit her prime she was DESTROYING Rinaldi, Bassett, Gadusek and Bonder by really obnoxious scores like 0 and 1.

The rest of the girls were Chrissie clones and outside of Rinaldi I don't think that any of them had any of her mental gifts, though I think that Basset was pretty tenacious given that her game and physique were none too imposing.
PamShriver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #32
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of

Just wanted to add that I really think that when Chrissie picked up the graphite in '84 her clay game became much more vulnerable. Note her losses (granted some have to do with age, but I think a lot of it had to do with a more aggressive style and an adjustment in technique) on clay: Maleeva, Garrison (SHEESH!!! Zina on clay? I would love to see this match just to see what the heck happened here!), Sanchez, Graf ('86 Graf is not the same as '87-onward Graf as she still had no first serve and the forehand and the backhand weren't nearly the weapons they became; Steffi's victory in Hilton Head was won via patience, not pace).

With the switch in raquets I think that Chris became much tougher overall, but more vulnerable with her bread and butter.
PamShriver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 10:38 AM   #33
tommystar

tommystar has disabled reputation

I found an interesting article about Temesvári and the Virginia Slims of Houston 1989.
Hungarian National News-agency reported on 29.04.1989. that after the though battle and sensational win over the 2nd seed and world ranked #6. Zina Garrison, Andrea failed against an easy opponent in the quarterfinal. LOL
tommystar is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:28 PM   #34
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
Brenda Schultz came around in the 90's a little bit afterwards. This was Monica in 1990. She was kind of like Venus. Great first but a lousy second. However, she would go for aces in the second serve around the 1992 and 1993.
You are way off. Seles had a nice first serve, but her serve was usually one of her weaknesses.

In fact Seles actually started to show a bigger serve at the 1993 Australian Open final where she hit about 5-7 aces. But it was not like she won many free points off her serve.
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:33 PM   #35
country flag spencercarlos
Sabatini lover Forever

spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute spencercarlos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
I think the most telling was Chris made Monica pay for the weak serves at the U.S. Open. I really thought Chris was better off playing in faster surfaces than clay against Monica. She was really laboring at that tournament. and it shouldn't have been close.

Chris didn't mess around in the U.S. Open. Monica can say what she wants about not being the one to be the villain to end her career but Chris went for her shots a little more off her serve. Because in the next year's Australian, Monica started to her serves hard (the first serve).
I have this match, and it was a moonballing Evert for most of the match. Still she worked her way into some winning shots, very smart Evert esque tactics, but mostly it was a "dirty" moonballing stuff.

And in the long run, sorry but Every would have been destroyed by Monica on hard courts much more often than not, becasue that moonballing in the coming years was not longer going to work.
Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 9
Straight Seasons in the top ten: Sabatini 10 Conchita 6
Seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 5
Straight seasons in the top 5: Sabatini 6 Conchita 4
Tier II and above titles
Sabatini 24 Martinez 17
Record at the Masters
Sabatini has 2 titles 2 Runner up and 3 SF
Martinez has 0 titles, 0 RU, and 0 Sf
Record against the best players
Sabatini 40% Martinez 21%
Head to Head
Sabatini leads 9-6 over Martinez
FWTT Hard 111(111 + ny)Carpet 104(104 + ny)Clay 107(107 + 4) Grass 100(100 ny)
spencercarlos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote