Should Patty Schnyder retire. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #1
country flag GoDominique

GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute GoDominique has a reputation beyond repute
Should Patty Schnyder retire.

IMO Patty is just going through the motions right now, and she desperately needs to make some changes or else her career will fizzle out in mediocrity.

Actually this has been evident for quite a while already. While her game is still as dangerous as before, it's her attitude that's causing all the trouble.

Can anyone remember her last win in a "big" match"?
I think it might all have started back in 2005 at the Australian Open. Patty was in fine form and had this huge comeback from 6-7 0-4 down against Dementieva in the 4th round. Then she lost against Dechy in the QF. In retrospect this was a HUGE chance for her to reach her first Slam final or maybe even win the whole thing.
Since then she has had dozens of matches where her mind just wandered off in the third set, and also many many bad chokes. I especially remember last year's match agains Na Li in Berlin where she had countless match-points and played so damn passively on all of them that she ended up losing the match. The same happened against Justine a few weeks ago. She seems to have completely lost her winning mentality and confidence.
And now her results seem to get worse as well. Her negative comments before today's match said it all, she doesn't believe in herself at all.

IMO it doesn't make much sense for her to keep playing like that, except if it's just about earning some easy money. Either she gets into better mental shape pronto or else she will never fulfil her enormous potential.

Last edited by GoDominique : Apr 12th, 2007 at 01:11 AM.
GoDominique is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #2
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Patty Schnyder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDominique View Post
IMO it doesn't make much sense for her to keep playing like that, except if it's just about earning some easy money. Either she gets into better mental shape pronto or else she will never fulfil her enormous potential.
Hoffy has some expensive habits for his Peppermint Puppet to bankroll.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:03 PM   #3
country flag Kunal

Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute Kunal has a reputation beyond repute

plateau
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #4
country flag Monica_Rules

Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute Monica_Rules has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i think Patty did have a huge chance in the 2005 Aus open and she blew it against someone she could beat easily.

She was pretty consistent last year but nothing amazing.

I hope she can steady the ship soon. But with it being the clay court season i'm sure she will.

Naomi Broady, Tara Moore, Heather Watson , Laura Robson

Johanna Konta, Eleanor Dean
, Sam Murray
Katy Dunne Katie Boulter
Monica_Rules is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
country flag John.
Shining like a laser beam!

John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute

The main problem is her attitude. I know she had a poor record going into the match with Vee, but she was more or less saying beforehand that she wasn't going to win it.

Perhaps she is going through the motions. The Olympics next year is maybe her goal. Who knows.
John. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #6
country flag Meteor Shower

Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute Meteor Shower has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, yep, yep.
I've said this before, one handed backhand, or improve the slice.
The two-handed backhand is just not good enough.

I really think she can be one of the players who suddently has this breakthrough at 30+.

******** Survivor
Meteor Shower is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #7
country flag Helen Lawson

Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute Helen Lawson has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she can't concentrate on her game because she's working on that dumb book about Eminem and the spiders.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #8
country flag partbrit

partbrit has disabled reputation

It's always the head with Patty. Sure, there are some things she could do to improve her game, but if she could get her head straight, she'd be doing a whole lot better with the game she already has.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #9
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

I don't say it often, but to me Patty has the most eye pleasing game on the tour. Gosh, how could she let all that talent go to waste? She needs a kickass coach , not an enabler UGH.
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #10
country flag vutt
Team WTAworld

vutt has disabled reputation

wow, mainly top tenner and medicority - some posters standards are so high...
vutt is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #11
country flag rightous

rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute rightous has a reputation beyond repute

I have to agree that Patty has more often than not 'checked' out of matches. If tennis was based on talent alone, Patty would have won slams by not. But given that you have to battle and be match tough it seems like again a great talent who couldn't cope with the pressure is all she will be.

I hope I'm wrong, b/c she is one of my favourite players to watch.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #12
country flag partbrit

partbrit has disabled reputation

Quote:
She needs a kickass coach , not an enabler UGH.
Amen.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #13
country flag *JR*

*JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute *JR* has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti2001 View Post
She needs a kickass coach, not an enabler UGH.
Don't you get it? Hoffy would never risk his meal ticket bonding with one (ala Justine and Carlos) for fear that she might realize she doesn't need him around.

YUG flag, because it never should have split up.
*JR* is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #14
country flag Orion

Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute

She's too old to stay in the top 10 with her style of play. She doesn't win enough easy matches, and she's not mentally tough enough. I love Schnyder, I think she's exciting to watch and among the most attractive players on tour, but she's not going to make it back into the top 10. Too many other players have better weapons with more consistency.
Orion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #15
country flag Orion

Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute Orion has a reputation beyond repute

I will say she deserved all the time she spent in the top 10, because she did something very different from the other girls on tour at the time and was duly rewarded for it, but she hasn't played top 10 quality tennis in back-to-back-to-back tournaments (my judge of consistency is winning two or more matches in three consecutive tournaments) since the US Hardcourts last year, and didn't have a consistently stellar clay season last year. That Charleston final is very deceptive. She played top 15 tennis at best for most of the clay season, that win over Henin being the sole exception. The problem now is she has 210 points to defend off of one tournament and she's not likely to replicate that success. The only consolation is that she didn't do too well at Berlin or Rome, so she can make up some ground there, but there are too many girls who are clamoring to knock her out of the top 20 for her to last too much longer. Pity, too, since she's among the most fascinating, unique players on tour, both technically and psychologically.
Orion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote