The Danes are coming - Danish juniors thread - Page 24 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #346
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Danes are coming - Danish juniors thread

Martine hit a nice drop shot to win the match! Well done by Emilie anyway; to lose 5 & 4 is not too bad. I actually believe Emilie could have won against most women at these championships (not against Mai Grage, Cecilie, or Hanne Skak, but against many others).

Martine is quite solid. There's a great video about Martine here:

http://www.tv2fyn.dk/article/291075?...video_id=39083
angliru is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #347
country flag QuietPlease

QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by angliru View Post
Martine hit a nice drop shot to win the match! Well done by Emilie anyway; to lose 5 & 4 is not too bad. I actually believe Emilie could have won against most women at these championships (not against Mai Grage, Cecilie, or Hanne Skak, but against many others).

Martine is quite solid. There's a great video about Martine here:

http://www.tv2fyn.dk/article/291075?...video_id=39083
Very likeable

I wonder if she or any of the other talented Danish girls has a future on the WTA tour? Who has the biggest chance of making it? Ditlev, Melsted, Francati, Alipieva?

Barbat, Ejdesgaard and Grage are all seniors now, it seems chances for them becoming regulars on the tour (top 100) are slim.

What are your guesses?

2006 Year End #237 - 2007 Year End #64 - 2008 Year End #12 - 2009 Year End #4

2010 Year End #1
2011 Year End #1

2012 Year End #10 - 2013 Year End #10
QuietPlease is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #348
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

I agree regarding Barbat, Ejdesgaard, and Grage. None of them will probably reach the top 100 (although I'd love if it happened!). Grage seems to have ended her pro career anyway, although she'd be the most likely of the three to become a top 100! But I think all the juniors you mention will have a chance of becoming at least as good as Barbat or Ejdesgaard. I think the level amongst the juniors in Denmark is somewhat higher now than 2 or 3 years ago, and the competition is much better. If these girls can continue their development and stay motivated, and are willing to pursue a pro career (a career which some Danish players describe as "boring"!) - then top 100 will probably be possible for a few of these girls. The younger they are, the bigger the chances! And there's also a few girls even younger than Francati or Alipieva who seems quite talented. It's still possible that we will see some sort of "Wozniacki-effect" in the future...

But it's always very difficult to predict such things. What matters is not how good they are at 12 or 14, but how good they are when they're 18 or 20! I was reminded of this a month ago when the very likeable Russian WTA player Pivovarova posted a photo of her and Wozniacki together as 14 year olds. They are of exactly the same age (born less than a month apart), and they both achieved career high rankings as world #2 as juniors! Pivovareva, however, has not yet cracked the top 100 as a pro player, while Caroline is #1. Players progress or develop at a different rate. Some become very mature at an early age (tennis-wise), while some progress at a much slower rate (or even stop progressing). One thing is certain: It's extremely difficult to make the top 100 at WTA! Talent and skills is not enough.

The most talented Danish girl must be Simone Alipieva. She has extraordinary skills and has been head and shoulders above her contemporaries in Denmark. It also semms like she's doing quite well against much older players in Denmark. She defeated Maria Jespersen, for instance, at the Birkerød GP tournament a month ago. Maria Jespersen is 20 years old now, and a really, really good player by Danish standards (former U18 singles champion and a senior mixed champion!). Simone is 13 years and two months! This sort of proves my point that the new batch of juniors has reached a level we thought was impossible a few years ago (apart from Wozniacki). But I must also stress that being good in Denmark does not yet mean having International class! There's still a long way to go, and the best Danish girls are still behind the best Swedish girls, for instance.

The Danish juniors needs a lot of support and funding to reach their goals - and probably a bit of luck. And they need to keep working hard instead of quitting - also when they're in a slump and the results are lacking! They must have discipline, and stay focused and motivated, and keep progressing! Most Danish juniors actually regress tennis-wise at some point in their mid-teens and focus on getting an education instead. But the future seems much brighter than two or three years ago
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #349
country flag QuietPlease

QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future

Thanks. Interesting read!

2006 Year End #237 - 2007 Year End #64 - 2008 Year End #12 - 2009 Year End #4

2010 Year End #1
2011 Year End #1

2012 Year End #10 - 2013 Year End #10
QuietPlease is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #350
country flag angliru

Danish championships 2011 - indoors senior

Selected results from the Danish championships with the matches featuring some of the best juniors known from International tournaments (ITF and TE). Year of birth added in brackets:

Round 1 (selected results)
Anna Signe Rasmussen [94] def. Emma Rønholt [97] 6-4 6-3
Martine Ditlev [96] def. Emilie Francati [97] 7-5 6-4
Karin Stibius Jensen [79] def. Simone Alipieva [98] 6-2 6-4
Maria Rasmussen [78] def. Julie Noe [96] 6-1 7-6(8)
Cecilie Melsted [95] def. Stefanie Jolak [94] 6-2 6-3
Amanda Arildsen Wessung [94] def. Emma Håkansson [96] 4-6 6-1 6-2

Round 2 (selected results)
Anna Signe Rasmussen [94] def. Kathrine Berge [96] 6-0 6-1
Martine Ditlev [96] def. Sofia Helgstrand [94] 62 63
Cecilie Melsted [95] def. Maria Rasmussen [78] 7-6(2) 6-2
Amanda Arildsen Wessung [94] def. Clara Galler [94] 5-2 ret.

QF (selected results)
Mai Grage [92] def. Anna Signe Rasmussen [94] 6-2 6-1
Martine Ditlev [96] def. Karin Stibius Jensen [79] 6-1 1-0 ret.
Cecilie Melsted [95] def. Natasha Nielsen [94] 7-5 6-4
Hanne Skak Jensen [86] def. Amanda Arildsen Wessung [94] 6-2 6-3

SF
Mai Grage [92] def. Martine Ditlev [96] 6-1 6-1
Hanne Skak Jensen [86] def. Cecilie Melsted [95] 5-7 6-4 6-2

The juniors were dominating in numbers: only 7 of 32 players in the main draw were not juniors! The juniors were quite good at the championships (with Cecilie Melsted and Martine Ditlev reaching the Semis), and they got some good results against more experienced players.

Emma Rønholt (nearest camera) and Emilie Francati in their 2nd round doubles match:

Martine in her SF (taped on her left thigh in both the QF and the SF):

Old Apr 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #351
country flag angliru

The Danish Junior Championships 2011 (indoors) are about to begin! All the best girls are participating except Martine Ditlev, who may be injured (I'm not 100% certain but her taped thigh at the senior championships suggests an injury?).

They will play U12, U14, U16, and U18 - both singles and doubles. Qualification begins Saturday 16th of April. Main draw begins 18th or 19th of April.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:04 PM   #352
country flag angliru

The Danish junior championships 2011 (indoors) are being played at the moment. The quarter finals have been played today, and the semi finals and finals will be played Saturday and Sunday. Most of the seeded players have done well (the "usual suspects"), and there have been no big upsets. Here is a brief overview:

U12
The top 4 seeded players are all throgh to the semis: (1) Sofie V. Bjerringgaard (KB), (2) Helena Hildebrand Steenberg (Lyngby), (3) Ida Emilie Stilling Krause (Birkerød), (4) Laura Cecilie Michelsen (KB). No. 1 will play against No. 4 in the semis. Ida has not lost a game in her three mathces so far! The doubles could also be interesting as these four players are paired in the doubles with a possible encounter in the final (the two KB players are seeded 2, while Helena/Ida are seeded 1).

U14
This is most interesting as the 4 remaining players are very competetive! Again it's the top 4 seeds: (1) Emilie Francati (Gentofte), (2) Emma Rønholt (Gentofte), (3) Simone Alipieva (KB), (4) Frederikke Svarre (Hillerød). Francati and Alipieva are playing against each other in one semi! Simone Alipieva has been quite impressive losing only two games in her three matches so far, but I still believe Francati has a good chance of going to the final. I'd say it's fifty-fifty. The winner of this semi final is probably a big favourite to take the title. It'll be very interesting.

The U14 doubles final could be (1)Francati/Rønholt vs. (2)Alipieva/Baumann

U16
Once more the top 4 seeded players are through to the semis: (1) Cecilie Melsted (KB), (2) Julie Noe (KB), (3) Isabel Fenger (HRT), (4) Ulrikke Høyer (KB). We know now that Julie Noe will be one of the finalists since Ulrikke Høyer has withdrawn from the semis tomorrow. Ulrikke was a considered a really big talent a few years ago, but she's not yet had her big breakthrough. And she has had a lot of withdrawals the last year or so. Most unfortunate.

Anyway, Cecilie should be able to win the U16 title. She was a senior semi finalist two weeks ago, and anything less than a title here would be a big upset! Martine Ditlev is missed at the championships; she would have been seeded 2 if she was present.

U18
The three top seeds are through to the semis: (1) Anna Signe Rasmussen (Birkerød), (2) Amanda Arildsen Wessung (HRT), and (3) Emilie Elsvad (KB). The fourth player in the semis is the unseeded Emma Aaskov Henriksen (Fruens Bøge) who defeated the 4th seed Malene Stripp (Birkerød) in round 2.

Last edited by angliru : Apr 23rd, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 03:04 PM   #353
country flag angliru

U12 - semi finals
(4) Laura Cecilie Michelsen (KB) def. (1) Sofie V. Bjerringgaard (KB) 7-5 6-4
(2) Helena Hildebrand Steenberg (Lyngby) def. (3) Ida Emilie Stilling Krause (Birkerød) 7-5 6-4

U16 - semi finals
(1) Cecilie Melsted (KB) def. (3) Isabel Fenger (HRT) 7-5 7-5
(2) Julie Noe (KB) def. (4) Ulrikke Høyer (KB) w.o.

U18 - semi finals
(1) Anna Signe Rasmussen (Birkerød) def. Emma Aaskov Henriksen (Fruens Bøge) 6-1 6-1
(2) Amanda Arildsen Wessung (HRT) vs. (3) Emilie Elsvad (KB) [no result yet]
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 03:04 PM   #354
country flag angliru

U14 - semi finals
(1) Emilie Francati (Gentofte) def. (3) Simone Alipieva (KB) 6-1 4-6 6-1
(2) Emma Rønholt (Gentofte) def. (4) Frederikke Svarre (Hillerød) 6-7(6) 7-5 6-0

Teammates, friends and double partners Emma Rønholt and Emilie Francati will play against each other in the final! Here is a brief video with a few excerpts from the matches and interviews:

http://www.on-sport.dk/video/1665787...ran-venindetrf

Emilie Francati and Simone Alipieva after their match:

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #355
country flag angliru

U12 - Final

(2) Helena Hildebrand Steenberg (Lyngby) def. (4) Laura Cecilie Michelsen (KB) 6-0 6-0

Helena Steenberg was outstanding in the final. Congratulations! A video with a brief post match interview:

http://www.on-sport.dk/video/1668723...rand-steenberg

Old Apr 24th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #356
country flag angliru

U14 - Final
(1) Emilie Francati (Gentofte) def. (2) Emma Rønholt (Gentofte) 6-1 6-2

U16 - Final
(1) Cecilie Melsted (KB) def. (2) Julie Noe (KB) 6-0 6-3

U18 - Final
(1) Anna Signe Rasmussen (Birkerød) def. (3) Emilie Elsvad (KB) 5-7 6-2 7-6 (4)

Some images from the semi finals can be seen here:
http://www.tennissporten.dk/pages/po...-2011-3900.php

Last edited by angliru : Apr 24th, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:17 PM   #357
country flag angliru

Martine Ditlev won the fifth tournament of the Danish Grand Prix series this weekend. Some of the best players were not present (Hanne Skak, Mai Grage, Cecilie Melsted) but it was still good that Martine could live up to the expectations being seeded no. 1 (and on home soil in Odense). Martine defeated Anna Signe Rasmussen in the final 6-1 7-5. Anna Signe Rasmussen won the Danish U 18 championship a week ago! Well done by Martine
Old May 4th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #358
country flag angliru

Tennis Europe U14 at KB, Copenhagen

Singles, 1st round (selected results, Danish winners only):

(1)Simone Alipieva vs. bye
Ditte Marie EGELUND (DEN) def. Celine Brocks (GER) 0-6 7-5 7-5
(6)Emma ROENHOLT (DEN) def. Ahlam SHAWKAT (EGY) 5-7 6-3 6-0
(11)Vibe BAUMANN (DEN) def. Andrina PEER (SUI) 7-5 7-5
Stefani LEKIC (DEN) def. Rose LEATHER (GBR) 6-0 6-1
(2)Emilie FRANCATI (DEN) vs. bye
Old May 4th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #359
country flag InTheAir

InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice InTheAir is just really nice

Why is Simone Alipieva now registered as a Bulgarian?

http://te.tournamentsoftware.com/pro...B-7654F3AF0268

Why did she change to her parents nationality? Is she no longer part of Danish junior tennis?
InTheAir is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #360
country flag angliru

I don't know why she now has a Bulgarian flag at Tennis Europe. Maybe it's an error, or maybe she has a double citizenship? But I really don't know. It's rather confusing.

But I'm sure she's still part of Danish junior tennis, and she's been selected to play for Denmark at the Nordic U13 Team Championships in June.