the court-riggs fiasco! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
country flag laschutz

laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold laschutz is a splendid one to behold
the court-riggs fiasco!

hi everyone! just thought i would post a thread about the infamous court-riggs match 1973 and for your comments!

first of all, what the heck happened! laugh! yeah, margaret played like utterly crap, nervous as she was the queen of nervous in big matches, slowballed, dinked, and spinned out of her mind from riggs, etcetera. but truly this 1 time match begs more questions and answers such as:

1) was riggs that good that day? surely women on the tour who couldn't compete with margaret's power tried to use the same tactics against her right? i read that she thought riggs would hit harder like "a man" and that she practiced all wrong hitting with hard hitters to prepare even though riggs said in press conferences how he planned to play her, but she thought it was another ploy? why? riggs even in his prime as a champion winner of wimbledon in 1939 was never a hard hitter, so what made her think he would try to outhit her and play a power game? add the fact that he was 55 years old! granted a in shape 55 year old man, but still 55!

2) why didnt' after the first set, margaret play her game and serve and volley?

3) recently i read that billie jean said in remembering her match from riggs that today her thoughts were that " any top playing woman could beat any man at 55 years old, just by getting the ball back and wearing him out. no 55 year old man no matter what shape could beat the top women player at least in endurance wise, she was saying that because when she turned 55 she couldn't believe how she felt. of course i think a riggs at 55 was way out of heck in better shape that billie was at 55! laugh! ( sorry billie!) if that is the case margaret who was in supreme condition should have played bobby the same way that billie did in her win, just get the ball back rally after rally and then go for the winner/kill.

4) why didn't margaret agree to a rematch?!! before the king-riggs battle? of course after billie's win it was kind of pointless then. one wonders if they had played again what the outcome would have been?

thoughts and comments everyone!
laschutz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 03:12 PM   #2
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of
Re: the court-riggs fiasco!

I really believe that Margaret threw that match because she didn't want to be seen as unwomanly.
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM   #3
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
I really believe that Margaret threw that match because she didn't want to be seen as unwomanly.
Than why did she agree to play him at all? If in her own mind winning would be unwomanly - losing was the only option. Which player, especially one as great as Court would go out there with an attitude of, "Go on, humiliate me?"
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:50 AM   #4
tennisvideos
Love the Legends of Tennis

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

I am certain Margaret wouldn't throw a match, she just wasn't like that. She was always the utter professional.

I would think that the circus mentality and the game plan Riggs had would have completely thrown her. I don't think she liked the spotlight that much and the spotlight on her that day probably got to her as well.

We all know once you get nervous and anxious your body does strange things and you also can't think straight. So it seems to me as though Margaret succumbed to Rigg's gameplan of junk, to his outpshycing (spell) her and the circus style occasion. Just my two cents.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
tennisvideos is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:33 AM   #5
country flag Realtennis

Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all Realtennis is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post
I am certain Margaret wouldn't throw a match, she just wasn't like that. She was always the utter professional.

I would think that the circus mentality and the game plan Riggs had would have completely thrown her. I don't think she liked the spotlight that much and the spotlight on her that day probably got to her as well.

We all know once you get nervous and anxious your body does strange things and you also can't think straight. So it seems to me as though Margaret succumbed to Rigg's gameplan of junk, to his outpshycing (spell) her and the circus style occasion. Just my two cents.
That about sums it up!
Realtennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:44 PM   #6
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisvideos View Post

I've never seen the match, but I remember a quote (now this is from 30 years ago so its not exact) that Billie Jean thought Madge lost when she accepted the Mother's Day flowers from Riggs. You think in addition to the event, Riggs himself plain psyched her out?

I've never seen the match. Did he have Madge tripping over her own feet, hitting error after error?

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:01 PM   #7
country flag Johnny O

Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all Johnny O is a name known to all

There is a really, really good analysis of the entire Court-Riggs-King Battle of the Sexes series in the book "A Necessary Spectacle" written by Selena Roberts, which was published in 2005. It goes into a lot of detail about the Court match, in a depth I've not seen before. It basically sums it all up as how Riggs completely mentally threw Madge off her game long before she stepped onto the court. It's a genuinely interesting book overall and well worth the price.

One amusing incident about that match that almost certainly contributed to her defeat, was that (under) 2 year old Danny Court flushed her tennis shoes down the toilet on the morning of the match, and she didn't have another pair! Thus she was playing with sodden feet, which can't have made it very comfortable at all!
Johnny O is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM   #8
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post
There is a really, really good analysis of the entire Court-Riggs-King Battle of the Sexes series in the book "A Necessary Spectacle" written by Selena Roberts, which was published in 2005.
Thank you for the reminder about this book. I had been looking for a copy about six months or so ago after reading an interview with the author. However, at that time, even used copies were difficult to find, and the few I did find were way too expensive (in the $100s).

After reading your comments I went to Amazon and found one at a great price! Yippie! I look forward to reading it and reporting back.

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #9
country flag trivfun

trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of trivfun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Than why did she agree to play him at all? If in her own mind winning would be unwomanly - losing was the only option. Which player, especially one as great as Court would go out there with an attitude of, "Go on, humiliate me?"
My point is that she did it for the money. She looked as a vacation from playing the women's tour. While Bobby took it seriously, Margaret could careless. I think she was disappointed in how she played than losing with errors and then some.

Margaret lost a lot of men for husbands because she would always beat them. Guys would call her hurtful things like "beast". She married a guy named Barry Court who didn't even know she was champion. When she played Bobby, she was suprised of how slow he hit the ball. She made a big mistake of coming to net. Her priority was looking good not winning. She did neither but didn't care if it was like King, Hard, or Goolagoong.
Old Sep 17th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #10
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

Great article in the New York Times for those who don't have the Selena Roberts book:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...3&pagewanted=1

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #11
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivfun View Post
Margaret lost a lot of men for husbands because she would always beat them. Guys would call her hurtful things like "beast". She married a guy named Barry Court who didn't even know she was champion. When she played Bobby, she was suprised of how slow he hit the ball. She made a big mistake of coming to net. Her priority was looking good not winning. She did neither but didn't care if it was like King, Hard, or Goolagoong.
Judging by how she looked I can understand why. That is awful but I think she must've really struggled between being a very athletic woman and an attractive woman for the opposite sex. And I can see how that must've impacted on her worldview and comments towards Navratilova etc...
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 04:44 AM   #12
country flag trivfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
Judging by how she looked I can understand why. That is awful but I think she must've really struggled between being a very athletic woman and an attractive woman for the opposite sex. And I can see how that must've impacted on her worldview and comments towards Navratilova etc...
Let me clarify a bit. When she first came on the scene, she wanted to win everything in site but as the other female tennis players started to turn on her when she became No.1. The Nell Hopman incident that made her consider leaving for New Zealand. The public wasn't very symphatetic to her though they accepted her with silence. Once she got married and had kids, she tried to be different but her insecurity got in the way.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #13
tennisvideos

tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute tennisvideos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrunner View Post
Great article in the New York Times for those who don't have the Selena Roberts book:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...3&pagewanted=1
Well that article summed it all up perfectly. I think Court treated it like easy money, a bit of a circus. And was well and truly ambushed - on many levels.
60s/70s: Evonne Goolagong .. Francoise Durr .. Chris Evert .. Margaret Court .. Nancy Richey .. Maria Bueno .. Billie-Jean King .. Lesley Turner .. Virginia Wade .. Ken Rosewall .. Rod Laver .. Bjorn Borg ..
Entertainers: .. Diana Ross .. Dionne Warwick .. Shirley Bassey .. Randy Crawford .. Burt Bacharach .. ABBA .. Woody Allen .. Maggie Smith .. Gena Rowlands .. Judy Davis .. Heath Ledger .. Little Britain ..
Inspiration: .. Jeshua Ben Josepth .. Conversations with God .. Abraham with Esther & Jerry Hicks .. P'taah ..
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #14
tennisvideos

Quote:
Originally Posted by laschutz View Post
hi everyone! just thought i would post a thread about the infamous court-riggs match 1973 and for your comments!

first of all, what the heck happened! laugh! yeah, margaret played like utterly crap, nervous as she was the queen of nervous in big matches
Winning 24 Grand Slam Finals from 29 is not bad for the so called queen of nerves in big matches. No one since Lenglen or Wills can match that sort of stat.

Last edited by tennisvideos : Sep 18th, 2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old Sep 18th, 2011, 07:00 AM   #15
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

Record of various players in Grand Slam tournament singles finals:

Suzanne Lenglen 12-0 100.0%
Maureen Connolly Brinker 9-0 100.0%
Alice Marble 5-0 100.0%
Helen Wills Moody 19-3 86.4%
Margaret Court 24-5 82.8%
Serena Williams 13-3 81.3%
Althea Gibson 5-2 71.4%
Steffi Graf 22-9 71.0%
Monica Seles 9-4 69.2%
Billie Jean King 12-6 66.7%
Molla Bjurstedt Mallory 8-4 66.7%
Nancye Wynne Bolton 6-3 66.7%
Dorothea Douglas Lambert Chambers 7-4 63.6%
Pauline Betz Addie 5-3 62.5%
Margaret Osborne DuPont 6-4 60.0%
Maria Bueno 7-5 58.3%
Justine Henin 7-5 58.3%
Martina Navratilova 18-14 56.3%
Chris Evert 18-16 52.9%

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote