Venus & the challenge system - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #1
country flag zzachtan

zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light
Venus & the challenge system

If I recall correctly, Venus has yet to play a match where the instant replay challenge system is in effect. How do you think she'll do with it?

I've no idea cause she doesn't argue calls much at all in the last few years. She just keeps that stoic face on for much of the match.

Venus Williams - 2008 Wimbledon Champion
zzachtan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #2
country flag paranr

paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light paranr is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Venus & the challenge system

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzachtan View Post
If I recall correctly, Venus has yet to play a match where the instant replay challenge system is in effect. How do you think she'll do with it?

I've no idea cause she doesn't argue calls much at all in the last few years. She just keeps that stoic face on for much of the match.
She'll have to adjust quickly, its also very important not to make wrong challenges so it doesn't influences your challenging's confedence.

I think it'll take her a match or 2 to get it.
paranr is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM   #3
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder it Venus is going to use the on court coaching

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #4
country flag zzachtan

zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light zzachtan is a glorious beacon of light

Would be really cool to hear what Richard has to say if she's playing bad..

"Serena will be the better player anyway"

Venus Williams - 2008 Wimbledon Champion
zzachtan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #5
country flag hacberto

hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future hacberto has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by winone23 View Post
I hope so, I think sometimes she needs to hear something(when she's making a lot of errors) for her father or mother. I think it's going to be really cool hearing Venus' voice between the sets, I love her voice it's so good.

Yes, I will love to see the reaction of Venus' when she's chellenging, I just hope she defeat Sharapova so then I can watch her on tv live!!!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #6
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Are they using that at Miami? If so, what if the sisters do play each other? "You won this set, Serena, so I'm going to talk to Venus for a minute."
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #7
Volcana

Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute Volcana has a reputation beyond repute

As I unerstand it, both players have to agree to the oncourt coaching. If I think I'm one of the best players, I'm NOT going to agree to it. It removes an advantage. On court coaching is an advantage to mentally weak players. Why give them that?
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #8
country flag Rocketta
Kart & I against the WtaWorld!

Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute Rocketta has a reputation beyond repute

I bet Venus never uses the on court coaching.
Rocketta is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM   #9
country flag ZAK

ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future ZAK has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcana View Post
As I unerstand it, both players have to agree to the oncourt coaching. If I think I'm one of the best players, I'm NOT going to agree to it. It removes an advantage. On court coaching is an advantage to mentally weak players. Why give them that?
Not correct. One player can designate a coach while the other does not.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM   #10
country flag vettipooh

vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute vettipooh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrinbaker00 View Post
Are they using that at Miami? If so, what if the sisters do play each other? "You won this set, Serena, so I'm going to talk to Venus for a minute."
Hopefully Oracene comes down on court for Rena and Richard for Vee. Now that would be a riot!!

And It's Not Over Yet...Just Wait....Wait.
vettipooh is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:09 AM   #11
country flag venus_rulez
Keepin That Tutty Fresh!

venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute venus_rulez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketta View Post
I bet Venus never uses the on court coaching.

I agree with you 100%. She seems like the kind of person to me that wants to figure things out on her own. If she loses, then she packs up and works on getting it right the next time, but I agree I don't think you'll ever see her use the on court coaching. As far as the challenge system, I'm not sure. She does tend to give longer looks of "are you sure?" on clay because a mark can be seen so I think she'll use that with no problem.

I GOT 5 ON IT!!!!! VENUS WILLIAMS 5 TIME WIMBLEDON CHAMPION!!!!!
venus_rulez is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 12:11 AM   #12
tennisfan1972

tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all tennisfan1972 is a name known to all

Venus beat Martina Hingis in Zurich in 1999 i think it was . She arrived at the tournament alone without either richard or oracene and beat hingis in two easy sets. Great match by both players by the way and great shotmaking. some great tennis. She didnt need a coach. just practice i guess. and whatever hingis' mother/coach was telling her wasnt working. so who knows how effective coaching is. maybe at a match with 2 low ranked unacxcomplished players . but when u have a winning strategy against a player all u need to do is execute. not like they are gonna suddenly start searving at 125 mph or start slicing shots out of the blue.
tennisfan1972 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:00 PM   #13
country flag robisanl

robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light robisanl is a glorious beacon of light

Kinda dumb to place yourself above on-court coaching, no matter how good a player you are and no matter how you feel about the issue (lots of players hate the WTA bathroom break rules and some even hate getting treatment for "loss of conditioning" problems during the match). If you fail to designate a coach, then you're failing to at least avail yourself of a potential asset. It's like having an open-book exam, but not carrying the book with you to the exam because you don't believe in it - you never know when you just might need it! And if your opponent designates a coach, then you've put yourself at a potential disadvantage. I saw the Li Na match at IW (I forget whether she was playing Hantuchova or Kuznetsova, but I think it was Dani) - the opponent got coaching and you could see that it helped her win the match. Li Na didn't designate a coach before the match, so she couldn't even change her mind and get coaching. Even if you don't believe in on-court coaching for philosophical reasons (I don't believe in it), at least it has the potential deterrent effect on your opponent if she wants to abuse the bathroom break rule or feign a need for treatment as a tactic to show down the match - you lose that deterrent effect when your opponent knows you haven't designated a coach. You just never know what will happen during a tennis match - at least keep your options open and try it once or twice just to see how it works for you - Hingis and other players who have stated that they don't believe in on-court coaching have done just that. I can understand some players who have a parent-coach might not want to hear what that parent has to say (especially if they're losing the match), but from a common sense point of view, "see a penny, pick it up".
robisanl is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:03 PM   #14
country flag volta

volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute volta has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
i doubt that any of the sis will and i hope they dont

i fucking hate that rule i hope it doesnt get approved
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:05 PM   #15
country flag winone23

winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute winone23 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphenx View Post
i doubt that any of the sis will and i hope they dont

i fucking hate that rule i hope it doesnt get approved
LOL why don't you like it???

Eleven, Jamba Juice, Miami Dolphins, V*Starr Interiors ,World Team Tennis
Veelieve! Venus will rise again 2014!
Taylor Townsend / Madison Keys
NY KNICKS / TEAM MELO
winone23 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote