im buying a new tennis racket; need help. - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:36 AM   #1
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute
im buying a new tennis racket; need help.

hey peeps!

i'm going to try buying a tennis racquet online. what do you recommend i should do // what website to go look for some good rackets?

how can i protect myself from buying a racket that isn't so great? what rackets do you think are the bad rackets?

thanks

andrew

Grand Slam [oJankyoNutcrackeroAnaresoVeeo]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oNastyaoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoMomooVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #2
country flag lecciones

lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future
Re: im buying a new tennis racket; need help.

try the demo-ing option if your in the states, which according to your flag you are. Also, read up on the player reviews and comments at tenniswarehouse. I bought a Yonex rdx500 recently and im playing really really well with it! Very solid racquet But you have to have strong muscles because it is heavier than most.
5 Singles Grandslams, 9 Doubles Grandslam, 1 Mixed Grandslam
2x Single, 2x Double WTA Tour Championships Winner (2 S-RUP)
209 weeks at no.1 (4th place, max consecutive: 80&73), 3x no.1 year ender
No.1 both in singles & doubles for 35 weeks. (1 of 5)
Calendar Doubles Grandslam Winner (1 of 4)/Rank 4 or higher - 6 straight yrs

Chris Evert Queen of the WTA!
18 Singles Grandslams (record 7 French) 16 Singles Grandslams Runner-up
157 Singles Titles, 7x no.1 year ender (never ranked lower than 4 in career: 18 yrs)
0.9 win ratio, 90% SF or better, 125 match win streak on clay
lecciones is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #3
country flag AH85

AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all

go to a pro shop or so, and check them out there, then go online and pick one. it's really no good just picking a racket because so and so uses this one or someone recomends you use that one. you really have to go and get a feel of the grip and how it feels when you swing it, when you hit with it and how heavy it feels. once you've made your choice, go online and buy it
AH85 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:58 AM   #4

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH85 View Post
go to a pro shop or so, and check them out there, then go online and pick one. it's really no good just picking a racket because so and so uses this one or someone recomends you use that one. you really have to go and get a feel of the grip and how it feels when you swing it, when you hit with it and how heavy it feels. once you've made your choice, go online and buy it
can i just go off specs? i dont like going off to shops.

i did this thing online and it told me this was what it recommends for me
Racquet Specs:

Material: graphite (may include other materials such as titanium)
Weight (strung): at least 11 ounces
Balance: head-light or even
Stiffness: medium stiff to very stiff
String Pattern: 14 or 16 mains
Head Size: 90-110 square inches
Length: between 27 and 28.5 inches

My two biggest things are that it isn't too heavy (even though i have strong arms) and that the headsize and length are NOT oversize.

What does stiffness mean? I'm like an intermediate player (3.5ish ntrp) w/ few tennis friends...

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecciones View Post
try the demo-ing option if your in the states, which according to your flag you are. Also, read up on the player reviews and comments at tenniswarehouse. I bought a Yonex rdx500 recently and im playing really really well with it! Very solid racquet But you have to have strong muscles because it is heavier than most.
thanks for the input!!

do you know of any other dependable sites where I can get a racket? thanks
-andrew

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #6
country flag Polikarpov

Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute Polikarpov has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest you go to this website:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/

You just need to register. People there are very knowledgeable about tennis racquets. I'm sure they will be able to help you!
Polikarpov is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #7
country flag AH85

AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all AH85 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufuqifuqishahah View Post
can i just go off specs? i dont like going off to shops.

i did this thing online and it told me this was what it recommends for me
Racquet Specs:

Material: graphite (may include other materials such as titanium)
Weight (strung): at least 11 ounces
Balance: head-light or even
Stiffness: medium stiff to very stiff
String Pattern: 14 or 16 mains
Head Size: 90-110 square inches
Length: between 27 and 28.5 inches

My two biggest things are that it isn't too heavy (even though i have strong arms) and that the headsize and length are NOT oversize.

What does stiffness mean? I'm like an intermediate player (3.5ish ntrp) w/ few tennis friends...

stiffness is the racket's resistance to bending or deforming upon impact with the ball. deformation absorbs energy that is not returned to the ball, so greater stiffness increases power.

you can go by specs, but i've always prefered trying it out, and getting a feel of other ones, but that's just me, i've been playing it for so long i've become so fussy
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #8
country flag AH85

tennisboom.com and tennisexpress.com are both very good sites, the later probably being my favourite
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #9
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

For years, I just bought whatever Prince was in my price range. A little over a year ago, I decided to get serious about tennis again and for the first time, I actually went out and playtested a bunch of rackets.

It makes a huge difference. I worked with a friend who's also a tennis instructor, and he made a bunch of recommendations based on the specs. Now, as far as picking off specs, all the rackets he recommended I test were, on paper, more or less identical. (Every racket manufacturer is going to make rackets geared at players from beginners to pros--and the specs for a 3.5 or 4.0 player racket are going to be pretty similar whether its a Wilson, Yonex, Babolat or whatever).

When I actually played with the rackets, the differences were huge. The older you get, too, the more you want a racket that really fits your swing style and protects that elbow and wrist.

I ended up going with the Prince Shark Turbo. Of course, two months later TOB had to go and switch to the O3 Shark. If I'd just waited, I could have saved $100.

Seriously, though, if there's any way you can play test a racket, do it.

(I don't know about where you live, but there are pro shops at several public courts in my hometown--for like a $5 fee you can playtest rackets from most of the big American manufacturers. Most clubs will let members playtest rackets, too, from what I understand).
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #10
country flag lecciones

lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future lecciones has a brilliant future

this is a good place to look for racquets and read about comments and stuff:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/

But, try the demo option its the most important because you can actually borrow the racquet for like a week.

I averaged the two best racquets out there the Wilson pro tour racquet and the Yonex pro tour racquet (rdx 500) wilson came ontop but by a fraction, so being almost the same according to the testers marks I just went with what I thought had better technology, so I chose the Japanese brand

Anyway wilson has a new k factor line but they havent given marks for it yet from last time i checked, plus they are expensive but maybe they are better than the other two racquets i checked out (Yonex RDX 500 & Wilson nSix-One 95 nCode Racquets)

157 Singles Titles, 7x no.1 year ender (never ranked lower than 4 in career: 18 yrs)
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #11
country flag PatrickRyan
AKA Pacomexican

PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute PatrickRyan has a reputation beyond repute

Something Wilson Maybe their new line that Roger and Serena use.
PatrickRyan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #12
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecciones View Post
this is a good place to look for racquets and read about comments and stuff:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/

But, try the demo option its the most important because you can actually borrow the racquet for like a week.

I averaged the two best racquets out there the Wilson pro tour racquet and the Yonex pro tour racquet (rdx 500) wilson came ontop but by a fraction, so being almost the same according to the testers marks I just went with what I thought had better technology, so I chose the Japanese brand

Anyway wilson has a new k factor line but they havent given marks for it yet from last time i checked, plus they are expensive but maybe they are better than the other two racquets i checked out (Yonex RDX 500 & Wilson nSix-One 95 nCode Racquets)
See? This is why you have to playtest. I tried a couple of the Wilson n-Codes (sorry, I can't remember which ones) and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door with either one of them. For me, the order was Prince, Head, Wilson and there was one other stick in the bunch I can't even remember it was so awful.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #13
country flag lecciones

Lol I live in the Philippines and we have no playtest so their comments are the best shot i have, I don't go to clubs much and ask around to try their racquets :P In any case I have got a racquet that suits me just fine :P I feel very solid playing with it and I'm very happy with what I bought!

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH85 View Post
stiffness is the racket's resistance to bending or deforming upon impact with the ball. deformation absorbs energy that is not returned to the ball, so greater stiffness increases power.

you can go by specs, but i've always prefered trying it out, and getting a feel of other ones, but that's just me, i've been playing it for so long i've become so fussy
i haven't stuck with one kind of racket so i don't really mind switching it up. i kind of want something with more control -- i don't really care about power -- i can whack the mf**er out of the ball quite good.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by miffedmax View Post
For years, I just bought whatever Prince was in my price range. A little over a year ago, I decided to get serious about tennis again and for the first time, I actually went out and playtested a bunch of rackets.

It makes a huge difference. I worked with a friend who's also a tennis instructor, and he made a bunch of recommendations based on the specs. Now, as far as picking off specs, all the rackets he recommended I test were, on paper, more or less identical. (Every racket manufacturer is going to make rackets geared at players from beginners to pros--and the specs for a 3.5 or 4.0 player racket are going to be pretty similar whether its a Wilson, Yonex, Babolat or whatever).

When I actually played with the rackets, the differences were huge. The older you get, too, the more you want a racket that really fits your swing style and protects that elbow and wrist.

I ended up going with the Prince Shark Turbo. Of course, two months later TOB had to go and switch to the O3 Shark. If I'd just waited, I could have saved $100.

Seriously, though, if there's any way you can play test a racket, do it.

(I don't know about where you live, but there are pro shops at several public courts in my hometown--for like a $5 fee you can playtest rackets from most of the big American manufacturers. Most clubs will let members playtest rackets, too, from what I understand).
i live in los angeles and i know there are a bunch of places i can go to but i don't have a car at the moment so its somewha difficult. and i dont belong to one of those kinds of clubs.

how do you playtest rackets from a big American manufacturer???

thanks!