Women significantly outnumber teenage boys in gamer demographics - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 02:52 PM   #1
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute
Women significantly outnumber teenage boys in gamer demographics

Quote:

Adult female gamers have unseated boys under the age of 18 as the largest video game-playing demographic in the U.S., according to a recently published study from the Entertainment Software Association, a trade group focused the U.S. gaming industry.

While men still account for the majority of the U.S. gaming population, the number of women playing games on both consoles and mobile devices is up to 48 percent, from 40 percent in 2010.
The spike in the number female gamers is likely tied to widespread smartphone adoption. In addition to traditional PCs and the Nintendo Wii game console, women were more likely to game on their mobile devices, and were just as likely as men to play on Apple’s iPhone and iPad platforms. In the past, female gamers were thought to play games primarily as a means of connecting with their loved ones.

“[Many] women who previously only gamed with their families are now embracing gaming as an individual leisure activity as well,” Nielsen analyst Nicole Pike explained to The Wall Street Journal.

Adolescent boys are widely considered to be one of, if not the most, sought-after demographic by game development studios, but the uptick of female gamers could be a signal of changes to come. Mobile ad firm Flurry Analytics found that on on the whole, women presented a much larger value proposition to game developers in terms of revenue and brand engagement.

Simulation games like “Kim Kardashian: Hollywood” and “Candy Crush Saga” make headlines for the massive amounts of revenue that they manage to rake in, but the kinds of games that women are playing were found to vary widely, including endless runner games such as “Temple Run,” brain teasers such as “QuizUp” and traditional card games.

Surveying its own ad platform that is deployed across a wide variety of games of mobile games, Flurry found that on average, women spent 31 percent more money on in-app purchases and 35 percent more time within mobile games as compared to their male counterparts. Moreover, women committed themselves to a particular game and stuck with it. Globally, women came back to the games that they had chosen to play 42 percent more often over a seven-day period.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/...g-demographic/

OKAY SO WHICH ONE OF YOU OLD FOGIE WOMEN IS PLAYING A GAME RIGHT NOW

I enjoy discussing games

Grand Slam [oJankyoEugeniusoAnaresoBarktraoRebelLio]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oNutcrackeroThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oVeeoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoSlam StephensoVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 03:00 PM   #2
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Women significantly outnumber teenage boys in gamer demographics

"Games" are too broad a category now and this is, as the article said, mostly because of smartphones.

In the realm of historical grand strategy that is PC-based, the market is still dominated by 20s, 30s men.

Even stuff like Civilization series, which I consider light strategy, is still dominated by men. I remember how they used to always get excited when a female posts on their boards.
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 03:02 PM   #3
country flag fufuqifuqishahah

fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute fufuqifuqishahah has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam L View Post
"Games" are too broad a category now and this is, as the article said, mostly because of smartphones.

In the realm of historical grand strategy that is PC-based, the market is still dominated by 20s, 30s men.

Even stuff like Civilization series, which I consider light strategy, is still dominated by men. I remember how they used to always get excited when a female posts on their boards.

Grand Slam [oJankyoEugeniusoAnaresoBarktraoRebelLio]
Come Baaaack [oShinoboooMarie!oNutcrackeroThe Original Russian Bombshello]
Wake Up! [oVeeoThe Slovak SpideroFrannyoSlam StephensoVaniaoJellyDee!o]

fufuqifuqishahah is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2014, 03:51 PM   #4
country flag aknox

aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of aknox has much to be proud of

I blame Candy Crush Saga!
Originally Posted by ivanxie View Post
Moonball her to death!

Pojd! Ajde! Allez up your...! Vamos?!.......
aknox is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 05:47 AM   #5
country flag superstition

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Women and gay men are less likely to get excited about killing fests. That's what most of the "serious" PC games are. Practically every game that is benchmarked in graphics card reviews is some sort of shooter or mass blood bath RTS.

And, the alternatives are often not very impressive, like the horrible joke that is SimCity 5 and the very bad joke that is The Sims 4.

One thing I liked about Civilization IV is that a player could play as Egypt and use religion and culture to conquer instead of just having a mostly mindless blood bath like Age of Empires II. But, even so, the game still focused primarily on battling. Civ 5 was even more bogus with its totally opaque braindead "diplomacy".

It's harder to design a non-kill obsessed game because there is nothing simpler than something like Wolfenstein 3D and that's what these shooters are, with prettied-up graphics.
superstition is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #6
country flag Direwolf

Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute Direwolf has a reputation beyond repute

Its the Lara Croft Legacy...

But honestly in this game I play...
I always ger to chat with two married moms more often
Than the guys who swear a lot...
Direwolf is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #7
country flag Cajka

Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute Cajka has a reputation beyond repute

I play only Zuma and Criminal Cases on FB. I used to play Harry Potter, Age of Mythology, Sims...
ПАРТИЗАН ШАМПИОН!!!
Cajka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 02:45 PM   #8
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

That market size of PC games is insignificant.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #9
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstition View Post
Women and gay men are less likely to get excited about killing fests.
You sure do like your stereotypes.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 09:19 PM   #10

superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute superstition has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pov View Post
You sure do like your stereotypes.
If you think women and gay men are generally as likely to get excited about games like Wolfenstein 3D and DOOM you don't know much about people.

Men, especially heterosexual men, have been the foundation of the glorification of killing since the dawn of time.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #11
country flag semprelibera

semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future semprelibera has a brilliant future

Homosexual men are still men. I have a good number of friends, even the fem ones, that love wolfenstein.
semprelibera is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by semprelibera View Post
Homosexual men are still men. I have a good number of friends, even the fem ones, that love wolfenstein.
Yes, they're still men, but they are less likely to get as excited about killing fests as I said. Research has shown that gay men have partially hybrid brains. They are not just heterosexual men who like men.

The gaming industry is primarily targeting heterosexual male taste and has been for a long time, especially since Wolfenstein came out. Virtual dollhouses like The Sims, casual tablet and Facebook games, and brain-dead games like SimCity 5 don't really count as a fully-formed alternative to that dominance.

Plus, gay men often do plenty of overcompensation on the manliness front. They also may settle for games that don't appeal to them, which one often has to do if one wants to be gay gamer. Even nude patches for games like Skyrim show the double standard (beautiful women and monstrous males). If you look at what gay male produced films are about they're generally about sex and relationships, not about killing.

The male part of me enjoyed beating people up (especially with female characters) in Tekken 2 but didn't appreciate the gore and violence kitsch of Mortal Kombat. Hybridization at work.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 09:44 PM   #13

A huge irony, though, is that women are ready to pick the violent guys as partners to create a new generation of violence. There was a good video about that where it showed the arousal signals that young women gave off (enlarged pupils, enlarged lips, etc.) when watching men fight over them. So, they are nurturing and abhor violence (as a general rule) but are turned on by it and play a critical role in it happening again and again.

Humanity...

However, the bonobo vs. chimp dichotomy suggests that changes in social situation could, at least over time, lead to a great reduction in violence. The genetic difference between the two is small but the behavior differences are large. Bandura's research also shows how so much of it is transmitted, not through genes, but through learning.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 10:06 PM   #14
country flag Brett.
Rest In Peace, Elena

Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute Brett. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by semprelibera View Post
I have no interest in violent games at all these days, but man I was addicted to wolfenstein 3d as a child. I agree with you.
Old Aug 24th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #15
country flag BloodyMary

BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all BloodyMary is a name known to all

I'm a chick and I highly enjoyed GTA V, The Last of Us, Tomb Raider, etc. Lots of female players do so it's no big surprise. Would be nice to have some more female protagonists though...
BloodyMary is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote