Fred Phelps, founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, is dead - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 20th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #1
country flag Kvitarenka

Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all
Fred Phelps, founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, is dead

Fred Phelps -- the founding pastor of a Kansas church known for its virulently anti-gay protests at public events, including military funerals -- has died, the church said Thursday.

The 84-year-old died of natural causes at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday, according to church spokesman Steve Drain.

Phelps founded Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, in 1955 and molded it in his fire-and-brimstone image. Many members of the small congregation are related to Phelps through blood or marriage.

In a statement Thursday, the church chided the "world-wide media" for "gleefully anticipating the death."
2003: Phelps on Matthew Shepard statue

"God forbid, if every little soul at the Westboro Baptist Church were to die at this instant, or to turn from serving the true and living God, it would not change one thing about the judgments of God that await this deeply corrupted nation and world."

According to Westboro, the church has picketed more than 53,000 events, ranging from Lady Gaga concerts to funerals for slain U.S. soldiers. Typically, a dozen or so church members -- including small children -- will brandish signs that say "God Hates Fags" and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers."

Under Phelps' leadership, Westboro members have preached that every calamity, from natural disasters to the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, is God's punishment for the country's acceptance of homosexuality. Phelps had advocated for gays and lesbians to be put to death.

"Fred Phelps will not be missed by the LGBT community, people with HIV/AIDS and the millions of decent people across the world who found what he and his followers do deeply hurtful and offensive," the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force said in a statement.

"While it is hard to find anything good to say about his views or actions, we do give our condolences to his family members at what must be a painful time for them."

Anti-gay preacher once fought for civil rights

In 2013, more than 367,000 petitioners called on the White House to legally recognize Westboro Baptist Church as a hate group. The White House called Westboro's protests "reprehensible" but said that "as a matter of practice, the federal government doesn't maintain a list of hate groups."

In 2011, the Supreme Court upheld Westboro's right to picket military funerals on free speech grounds. Congress and several states, though, have passed laws aimed at keeping church members at a distance from funerals.

Nathan Phelps, Phelps' estranged son, posted a Facebook message March 15 saying that his father had been excommunicated from the church. Later, though, Nathan Phelps said it was "unclear" whether his father had been expelled from Westboro.

Westboro declined to say whether Phelps has been excommunicated. A church statement said March 16 that "membership issues are private" and that eight unnamed elders lead the congregation.

On Thursday, the church added, "Listen carefully; there are no power struggles in the Westboro Baptist Church, and there is no human intercessor -- we serve no man, and no hierarchy, only the Lord Jesus Christ."

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/20/us...ead/index.html

Was an awful man but I think we would only become the same as him if we rejoice in his death.

Kvitty Wimbledon 2011 Champion, get it together for 2013!
Vee and Ree Legends of the game, enough said
Kvitarenka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 20th, 2014, 06:38 PM   #2
country flag Fuzzylogic

Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of Fuzzylogic has much to be proud of
Re: Fred Phelps, founder of the Westboro Baptist Church, is dead

If his version of hell existed, there are very few people who deserve to burn there more than he does
Fuzzylogic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 07:36 PM   #3
country flag Silent Bird

Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute Silent Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Good.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 07:44 PM   #4
country flag kvaker81

kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future kvaker81 has a brilliant future

Is it appropriate to be quite happy by these news?
kvaker81 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #5
country flag GameSetJJ
Delusional Jankobitch

GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute GameSetJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think in this instance, two wrongs make a right and if people picket his funeral then so what.

Bartoli Li Serena

Last edited by GameSetJJ : Mar 20th, 2014 at 08:08 PM.
GameSetJJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #6
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be so cool if people massively gather down to protest at his funeral but that would most likely hurt any counter-attack against them in the future so hopefully people won't do anything.

Good riddance btw.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 07:52 PM   #7
country flag Infiniti2001
Veelieve!!!

Infiniti2001 has disabled reputation

He's not even worth my rejoicing.
Infiniti2001 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #8
country flag mykarma

mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute mykarma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolás89 View Post
It would be so cool if people massively gather down to protest at his funeral but that would most likely hurt any counter-attack against them in the future so hopefully people won't do anything.

Good riddance btw.
Perhaps his family would know how it feels to other grieving families.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #9
country flag iWill

iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute iWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrProdigy555 View Post
*inserts a couple fingers into you*
iWill is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 08:39 PM   #10
country flag kwilliams

kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute kwilliams has a reputation beyond repute

I'm definitely not going to be reduced to his level by hating him. I'm not even going to give him a second thought, really.

I can see reasons for and against the idea of picketing his funeral, but if people feel that they should, then let them.

http://flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/
kwilliams is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #11
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvitarenka View Post
Was an awful man but I think we would only become the same as him if we rejoice in his death.
How? I'd call it karma.
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #12
country flag Ferg

Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute

People like him arent worth the time thinking about.
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #13
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
People like him arent worth the time thinking about.
True, I'm not thinking about him really. I'm just not blaming others if they did .
Pops Maellard is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 09:21 PM   #14
country flag Kvitarenka

Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all Kvitarenka is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops Maellard View Post
How? I'd call it karma.
Him and the members of his cult rejoiced in the death of others, surely if we rejoice in his death we are just as bad as him?

Kvitty Wimbledon 2011 Champion, get it together for 2013!
Vee and Ree Legends of the game, enough said
Kvitarenka is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #15
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote