FDA Considering Lifting Ban On Blood Donation From Gay Men - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 24th, 2014, 04:54 AM   #1
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute
FDA Considering Lifting Ban On Blood Donation From Gay Men

FDA to propose altering ban on gay and bisexual men who want to donate blood

The Food and Drug Administration plans to lift its lifetime ban on blood donation for men who have had sex with other men, and will propose replacing it with a one-year ban after homosexual activity, the agency announced Tuesday.

Gay rights groups, which have long advocated a change to the ban, largely decried the announcement, saying that expecting gay blood donors to remain celibate for a year is not reasonable or medically necessary.

Others were heartened by the relaxation of a long-criticized ban.
“This is a very good next step in a process that began in the early 1980s,” said Jay Menitove, who chaired a federal advisory committee that recommended the change.

Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institutes of Health’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said, “There’s no doubt about it, that any way that you can safely add to the pool of donors to counter this chronic shortage of blood is a good thing.”

The recommended change could increase the U.S. blood supply by 2 percent, researchers said.

Since 1983, the FDA has banned any man from donating blood if he has had sex with another man, even one time, since 1977. The policy was instituted in the early days of the AIDS crisis, when little was known about HIV and fears were rising of a virus transmitted among gay and bisexual men.

As tests for HIV in donated blood became standard, calls for the FDA to lift the ban increased.
Last year, the American Medical Association called for a change; one board member called the ban “discriminatory.”

Peter Marks, deputy director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, said in a telephone call with reporters Tuesday that the FDA would draft the new guidelines early next year and then revise them after a public comment period. He said he could not confirm whether the new rules would go into effect next year.

Marks also said the FDA’s study of the issue led it to conclude that gay men should be allowed to donate blood only if they have been abstinent for one year.

“At this time, the scientific evidence is not compelling that we can change to anything less than a one-year deferral and still maintain the current level of safety of the blood supply,” he said.

Gay rights groups challenged that statement Tuesday. They said tests can reliably detect HIV in the blood within much less than a year of infection, so imposing a longer ban is unnecessary.

“A ban of one year doesn’t really make sense, from a scientific or a medical perspective,” said Daniel Bruner, director of legal services at Whitman-Walker Health, a D.C. health-care provider that caters to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender patients. “It’s overly broad, in that you sweep in a lot of people who pose no risk whatsoever to the blood supply. And you are stigmatizing an entire population by telling people that they need to remain celibate for an entire year — whether they are monogamous, whether they practice safe sex, whether they are on medication like the prophylactic that makes the chance that they become infected almost zero.”

Bruner said that he was glad to hear that the FDA would take public comments before drafting a final policy and that he planned to submit one.

In a statement, the group Gay Men’s Health Crisis said, “Some may believe this is a step forward, but in reality, requiring celibacy for a year is a de facto lifetime ban.”

The Human Rights Campaign and Lambda Legal, among other gay rights groups, also issued statements saying the policy change is welcome but does not go far enough.

Fauci described the proposed one-year rule as “an abundance of caution.”

He said anyone who contracts HIV would test positive sometime from six weeks to six months after infection. A year-long ban, therefore, serves to set people at ease rather than to give time for infections to turn up in tests.

“With the tests that one has that screen the blood, it makes it extremely unlikely — even under other circumstances less than a year — it makes it extremely unlikely that there would be transmission through blood,” Fauci said.

source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...ending_strip_2

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.

Last edited by tennisbum79 : Dec 24th, 2014 at 05:19 AM.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 24th, 2014, 04:59 AM   #2
country flag Rodzilla

Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future Rodzilla has a brilliant future
Re: FDA Considering Lifting Ban On Blood Donation For Gay Men

if i get blood from a gay man would that turn me gay? not that there anything wrong with that tbh
Rodzilla is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #3
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

I can't donate blood anyway. I don't eat meat and I have all kinds of anemic/haemoglobin/iron deficiency issues. Some because of that and also genetic.
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 05:28 AM   #4
country flag Otlichno
Hammer of Thor

Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute Otlichno has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FDA Considering Lifting Ban On Blood Donation From Gay Men

Hmm..not that it isn't good news, but it bears light on the issue that people just aren't updating the "rules or laws" of medical issues at all. Should have been altered years ago.
Otlichno is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #5
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

well, it's about time there is action regarding this stigma,

A Gay mans blood is just as good as that of a straight man,

and anyway, I thought the Blood in most (if not all) countries which is donated is screened anyway before sending of to where it is needed, for obvious measures.
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #6
country flag tennisbum79

tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbum79 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlichno View Post
Hmm..not that it isn't good news, but it bears light on the issue that people just aren't updating the "rules or laws" of medical issues at all. Should have been altered years ago.
In related news...
http://americablog.com/2013/02/missi...-too-late.html

Nadia Petrova Grand Slam Hope Is Fading
Updated: Sep 07. 2014
Next Update Date: Post 2015 AO
Rest in peace, Elena Baltacha.
tennisbum79 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2014, 04:30 AM   #7
country flag SocaBrainwash

SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute SocaBrainwash has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
if i get blood from a gay man would that turn me gay? not that there anything wrong with that tbh
Not if you were wearing a condom.

But next time lube up a bit more go at it a bit easier.
SocaBrainwash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #8
country flag ArnieHotShot

ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all ArnieHotShot is a name known to all

America is slow.
ArnieHotShot is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote